General Yesteryear

ON THIS DAY : Sunday 25th March 2018

Karl Robinson tales charge of Oxford United for the first time but the U’s are easily beaten 3-0 by Portsmouth at Fratton Park:

U’s : Eastwood - Kane Dickie Mousinho Smith-Brown - Mowatt Brannagan Ledson - Napa Thomas Henry
Subs: Rothwell Ricardinho Mehmeti

Att: 17,892

DZKPUgbW4AAy6jO
Mous' face says it all!

39 years ago today a 1-1 home draw against Chesterfield, which I somehow managed to miss. ,mind you I was getting married , closest I could get to the Manor that day was St Andrews church in Old Headington
Bad planning or shotgun?

Bad planning or shotgun?
Failure to consult fixture list, although my dad was terminally ill at the time , which didn’t help the thinking process, plus I went to see the vicar by myself as my future wife was at night school on the only night that vicar did wedding bookings

ON THIS DAY : March 27th 1989

Striker John Durnin - a recent £225,000 capture from Liverpool - opens his U’s account at the tenth time of asking
as United defeat Walsall 1-0 at the Manor in an Easter Monday fixture.

U’s : Hucker - Slatter Lewis Greenall J.Phillips - Mustoe Shelton Ford Simpson - Foyle Durnin

Att: 5,101

DXKCo5vW4AAeSY8
Ooooh Johnny Lager

ON THIS DAY : March 23rd 1985

John Aldridge tucks away a second half penalty to make it U’s 3 -0 Manchester City
which kick starts the run in to the Second Division title which they clinched in May 1985.

U’s : Hardwick - Langan Briggs Shotton McDonald - Brock Hebberd Trewick Rhoades-Brown - Hamilton Aldridge

Att: 13,096

EqeVXzqW4AEE0mC
EqeVQHPXcAMgOpX

I`m in that B&W photo!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:(y)

ON THIS DAY : March 27th 1989

Striker John Durnin - a recent £225,000 capture from Liverpool - opens his U’s account at the tenth time of asking
as United defeat Walsall 1-0 at the Manor in an Easter Monday fixture.

U’s : Hucker - Slatter Lewis Greenall J.Phillips - Mustoe Shelton Ford Simpson - Foyle Durnin

Att: 5,101

DXKCo5vW4AAeSY8
Look at that gate! The championship wasn’t the promised land in those days.

ON THIS DAY : March 28th 1987

Left back John Dreyer nets a late winner at the London Road End to give the relegation threatened U’s a much needed 2-1
home victory over Sheffield Wednesday in a top flight encounter. Dean Saunders opened the scoring. New signing Martin Foyle
came off the bench for his debut.

U’s : Hardwick - Langan Briggs Caton Dreyer - Brock Hebberd Houghton Phillips - Saunders Whitehurst
Sub: Foyle.

Att : 7,981

ERdtovPXYAEBj9p

ON THIS DAY : March 29th 1981

On this day 40 years ago United fans took advantage of a Sunday, British Rail Football Special service to Portsmouth.

Relegation threatened United extended their unbeaten run to seven games at Fratton Park as striker Keith Cassells headed
a John Doyle centre past ‘keeper Peter Mellor for a 1-1 draw.

U’s : Burton - Doyle Briggs Shotton Fogg - Berry Jones Jeffrey Smithers - Foley Cassells
Sub: Seacole

Att:12,243

CZQw1cMWkAEJLwc

ON THIS DAY : March 30th 1996

EeQQhheWoAARQGr

United, minus centre half Matthew Elliott lose 4-2 at Edgeley Park, Stockport in what proved to be their last reverse of the 1995-96 season.
Steve Wood, deputising for the suspended Elliott had a torrid time in defence as County striker Andy Mutch bagged a hat-trick.
Joey Beauchamp and Martin Aldridge with the U’s goals. Also, in the wake of this defeat, Manager Denis Smith recruited Sunderland
midfielder Martin Gray for £100,000.

ON THIS DAY : March 30th 1996

EeQQhheWoAARQGr

United, minus centre half Matthew Elliott lose 4-2 at Edgeley Park, Stockport in what proved to be their last reverse of the 1995-96 season.
Steve Wood, deputising for the suspended Elliott had a torrid time in defence as County striker Andy Mutch bagged a hat-trick.
Joey Beauchamp and Martin Aldridge with the U’s goals. Also, in the wake of this defeat, Manager Denis Smith recruited Sunderland
midfielder Martin Gray for £100,000.

I remember going to a pub before the game, buying four pints, giving the bar man a tenner, getting a fiver back in the change and saying I think he'd got it wrong. He hadn't. 99p a pint! (even cheaper than I thought at the time if we paid £100k for Martin Gray 😳).

Disappointing game but I was impressed by the stand behind the other goal.

I remember going to a pub before the game, buying four pints, giving the bar man a tenner, getting a fiver back in the change and saying I think he'd got it wrong. He hadn't. 99p a pint! (even cheaper than I thought at the time if we paid £100k for Martin Gray 😳).

Disappointing game but I was impressed by the stand behind the other goal.

I remember thinking 'why the hell did we pay that much for Martin Gray" for a while but he turned out to be a cracking signing for us.

ON THIS DAY : March 31st 1973

United lose 2-1 to promotion chasing Aston Villa at Villa Park.
Dave Roberts with the U’s goal. Pat McMahon and Geoff Vowden for the Villains.

U’s : Thomas - Lucas Roberts Lowe Shuker - Fleming Evanson Clarke D Skeen - Curran Cassidy
Sub: Gough

Att: 15,902

Ex0P3FDWQAYdtHV

Ex0P3jlWUAk4iz9

ON THIS DAY : March 31st 1973

United lose 2-1 to promotion chasing Aston Villa at Villa Park.
Dave Roberts with the U’s goal. Pat McMahon and Geoff Vowden for the Villains.

U’s : Thomas - Lucas Roberts Lowe Shuker - Fleming Evanson Clarke D Skeen - Curran Cassidy
Sub: Gough

Att: 15,902

Ex0P3FDWQAYdtHV

Ex0P3jlWUAk4iz9
I notice an 18 year old Bobby McDonald at left back for 'The Villa'

Back
Top Bottom