General Yesteryear

Up to that point I remember us being at the top end of the table and as you say it all unravelled............

Looks like greenall and Dave bardsley in one photo and maybe tommy Caron and Cheri Evans in the other.

Greenall and Bardsley -- yes
Neither Caton or Evans played in that game -- Caton already gone, Evans yet to sign.
One of the others on the left is Robbie Mustoe, I believe. No idea about the other one.

Too tall and blonde for mustoe, Richard hill and bardsley again.

The OUFC line up that day was:
1. Hucker
2. Bardsley
3. J Phillips
4. Lewis
5. Hill
6. Greenall
7. Heath
8. Foyle
9. Saunders
10. Mustoe
11. Chelsea Reject Rhoades-Brown

Subs
12. Shelton (11)
14. Purdie

Source. Home programme vs Shrewsbury Town. Match sponsor Smiths Crisps and the Ref was from Tonypandy.

That was actually a pretty good team! Three players I’d almost forgotten about - Shelton, Heath and Purdie - I seem to remember having some good games for us.

When did Keith Cassells sign for us? Remember him being one of my first Oxford heroes. Him and Foley tearing Brighton a new one in an FA cup game. Think we won 3-0..?

We did. And match of the day did a special feature that night. A minibus load of Yellows from Marcham. Had all our beer confiscated by plod,
were told to remove our Docs before they would let us in. What an away day ! 3,000 plus Yellows that day. To long ago now. I cannot remember the details of Cassells joining. Have to get the old programs out :unsure:

OUFCX

Richard Hill at centre half along side Colin Greenall - following the 1988
European Championships that summer U’s boss Brian Horton thought Hill could play a Ronald
Koeman type role!

Full Debuts for Phil Heath, Jim Phillips and Mickey Lewis at Elland Road.

Oxford U v Chelsea 1976. Who are the U’s players?

EehKs9PXgAUsWA0

Last edited:
Oxford U v Chelsea 1976. Who are the U’s players?

https://goo.gl/images/xWqFzW
Left of the pic (as you look at it) John Shuker who between 1961 and 1977 made an Oxford United FC football league appearance record of 482 appearances (scoring 46 goals)... towards the end of his time at Oxford United Shuk's was club captain

He had a testimonial match at The Manor in May 1972 ....against Manchester City
Wonder if he'll be guest of honour September 25th?

not 100% but is the high kicking Us player Mick Tait? with Andy McCullogh just behind him? .... no idea who the U's players 2nd furthest & furthest away on the right of the pic are?

Last edited:
I’d go Andy Bodel, Mick Tait, Peter Houseman and a young Peter Foley?

Does not look like Billy Jeffrey or Colin Duncan.

Back
Top Bottom