XI For Tranmere..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do people put Mous in the team
Remember it was Kashi that stopped the rot last year

I really, really think we missed a trick in signing Kashi at the end of last season.
Can only think it was money that stopped the deal, geezer went on holiday at Tiger's place after all.
And he's in disciplinary trouble at Troyes for not turning up for training, though he claimed he was injured. Hasn't played a game since leaving us.

I really, really think we missed a trick in signing Kashi at the end of last season.
Can only think it was money that stopped the deal, geezer went on holiday at Tiger's place after all.
And he's in disciplinary trouble at Troyes for not turning up for training, though he claimed he was injured. Hasn't played a game since leaving us.
Maybe his club blocked a potential move to us and he’s now demonstrating his frustration?

We do need to stop conceding so many goals, so Long and Cadden down the right will surely help.
For me, Mous is better than Moore, and faster, sharper, more mobile, and more experienced, so needs to start.
If fit, Taylor must surely be eased in, so needs to start on the bench, and Agyei must surely be fit enough to start by now, as Mackie looks knackered.

With that in mind:
Eastwood
Long Dickie Mous Ruffels
Cadden Brannagan Baptiste
Henry Agyei Fosu

SUBS: Taylor, Mackie, Woodburn, Sykes, Forde, Gorrin, Stevens

But we know Robbo is blatantly gonna play his favoured 4-2-3-1 formation, so with THAT in mind:

Eastwood
Long Dickie Mous Ruffels
Brannagan Gorrin
Cadden Henry Fosu
Agyei
Whatever the lineup is, just get the bloody win, and another on Tuesday, and things will start to look a lot better again.

Whitehead
Robinson, Elliot, Gillghrist, Ford
Gray
Beauchamp, Ford, Allen
Moody

Subs: Gerrard, Powell, McGukin, Windass, Smith, Lewis, Brooks​

My selection would be;

Eastwood
Cadden, Dickie, Moore, Ruffels
Forde, Brannagan, Mous, Fosu
Henry, (no.10) and Agyei (Mackie if Agyei isn’t fit)

Playing 4-1-3-1-1

Subs; Taylor, Gorrin, Mackie, Woodburn, Skyes, Baptiste & Stevens

That's interesting - you'd persevere with Cadden at RB?

Yeah, because I think it’s more to do with the protection in front of him. If we’ve got someone with a bit of pace it might make them think about leaving space in behind them, plus they’d had the double worry if Cadden is then overlapping.

Whitehead
Robinson, Elliot, Gillghrist, Ford
Gray
Beauchamp, Ford, Allen
Moody

Subs: Gerrard, Powell, McGukin, Windass, Smith, Lewis, Brooks​

Apart from there only being 10 players in that side because you left Dave Smith out of the starting XI (admittedly, he often did so much good work in the center of the park so quietly that it was easy to forget he was there!)…..

…..the pedant in me also feels the need to point out that Martin Gray and Chrissy Allen never actually played in the same side. Allen was sold in February 1996, whereas Gray didn't play his first game for us until April that year.

I thought he was great but he probably didn’t want to live here, or his Mrs didn’t, they’re French speakers I imagine

Yeah, because I think it’s more to do with the protection in front of him. If we’ve got someone with a bit of pace it might make them think about leaving space in behind them, plus they’d had the double worry if Cadden is then overlapping.
I think my problem with Cadden is quite possibly not Cadden's fault! While I don't think he is the best defender, I do think that if he is going to play as a full back the team absolutely *has* to have someone detailed to fall back into the RB slot when he is up the pitch. That person has probably got to be whoever is playing right midfield - and I don't think we have anyone who can do that very well. So I'd put Long in at RB. He also goes up the pitch - he doesn't do it as well as Cadden, but is a better defender. So I think that if we pushed Cadden into right midfield then they could act as a 'tag team' - when Cadden was going forward, Long stays back and if Long overlaps then Cadden could be detailed to fill the RB hole he has left.

The Motherwell fan who came on here in pre season said Cadden is actually a right sided midfielder (including right side of centre mid), who despite being asked to play wing back a few times doesn’t thrive there. You can sort of see that in how he plays to a point. He doesn’t seem that aware of when to put a cross in, nor is the quality of his deliveries from out wide great, which suggests he isn’t naturally used to being in those positions. But he IS a really strong runner, very powerful, and can drive forward effectively. He can go past a player and hold them off extremely well. You can definitely see him pushing through the centre of the park and starting a counter attack, or bombing up behind someone else who is striding forward on a break.

My personal feeling is that he’s not in his natural or best position. We do still seem stuck in this world where the players have to fit the preferred system, not the other way around. Cadden has all the attributes to be one of the most dynamic midfielders in the league - I could see him really thriving as the right sided man in a midfield three. He’s over six feet in height, very strong and easily one of our quickest sprinters. Appleton was interested in him after we got back into League One as a midfielder, and with someone like Long at right back who is just going to do the solid and no nonsense stuff, there could be a good balance to be found.

I think my problem with Cadden is quite possibly not Cadden's fault! While I don't think he is the best defender, I do think that if he is going to play as a full back the team absolutely *has* to have someone detailed to fall back into the RB slot when he is up the pitch. That person has probably got to be whoever is playing right midfield - and I don't think we have anyone who can do that very well. So I'd put Long in at RB. He also goes up the pitch - he doesn't do it as well as Cadden, but is a better defender. So I think that if we pushed Cadden into right midfield then they could act as a 'tag team' - when Cadden was going forward, Long stays back and if Long overlaps then Cadden could be detailed to fill the RB hole he has left.

Dickie essentially fills the space behind Cadden...which relies on Gorrin dropping into the CB position...which he is pretty decent at doing. The obvious problem is we then lose the height in the centre.

Gorrin is an exceptional defensive midfielder, far ahead of Mousinho.

Cadden at Motherwell had similar output at RB and RW - long dropping back would certainly allow dickie to cover the centre and will prevent our shape being pulled around

Eastwood
Long, Dickie, Moore, Ruffles
Mousinho
Brannagan, Baptiste
Cadden, Mackie, Fosu

Unfortunate for Henry, he is the unlucky one as he been playing well. Mackie in at the moment because I am not convinced Agyei and Taylor are match ready yet and would rather not risk them from the start, but these 3 give us options off the bench.
I shouldn't think James Henry considers himself unfortunate that you have not picked him in your team. He'd probably feel pissed off if Karl left him out though. And quite rightly too in my opinion because I think he's been one of our best players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom