EFL Wycombe just keep going

I'm not convinced the Championship is a money-spinner. Players' wages go up, there will have been promotion bonuses, transfer fees go up.
Isnt the tv money around £11m?
So I guess that a club with a salary cost of £4m in L1 could not heavily compete and hope that with great management and some good loan signings/ free transfers they could have quite a big surplus?
Burton stayed in the Championship for a couple of seasons with apparently a very low budget compared to everybody else.

Isnt the tv money around £11m?
So I guess that a club with a salary cost of £4m in L1 could not heavily compete and hope that with great management and some good loan signings/ free transfers they could have quite a big surplus?
Burton stayed in the Championship for a couple of seasons with apparently a very low budget compared to everybody else.

Nah, it's nowhere near that amount.

It was ~600m over 5 years, so 120m a year to cover the whole football league. Championship clubs get more than League 1/2, but it's nowhere near 11m.....even including the PL solidarity payments.

Two games in which they failed to beat Tranmere, including losing at home to 10 men tonight, probably shows the more realistic level they're at. Somehow they've been grinding out results in the league, but for how much longer?

Two games in which they failed to beat Tranmere, including losing at home to 10 men tonight, probably shows the more realistic level they're at. Somehow they've been grinding out results in the league, but for how much longer?
How very patronising - they are top of L1 and still way ahead of us - you sound like a Sunderland fan.

We`ve had a fair few seasons starting like an express train then having the wheels fall off after Christmas.
Steady pace wins a marathon...... ?

We`ve had a fair few seasons starting like an express train then having the wheels fall off after Christmas.
Steady pace wins a marathon...... ?
You've not seen Kipchoge run then, it's flat out sprint from the start these days... ?

I've just watched the highlights of their cup loss to Tranmere. They consisted mostly of Wycombe hitting the woodwork, drawing great saves out of the Tranmere keeper and missing chances that would be taken more often than not. Tranmere scored with what appeared to be their two attacks in 120 minutes (!). I don't think we should take the result as an indicator of how they are playing.

I've just watched the highlights of their cup loss to Tranmere. They consisted mostly of Wycombe hitting the woodwork, drawing great saves out of the Tranmere keeper and missing chances that would be taken more often than not. Tranmere scored with what appeared to be their two attacks in 120 minutes (!). I don't think we should take the result as an indicator of how they are playing.

They did miss some sitters and some very good saves! Definitely a red card as well.

and when you scroll down to the wage bill, Burton are lowest at £11M. So somebody else's idea that we could somehow use a year in the Championship to bank some cash looks pretty unlikely to me.

Looking at some of the other figures from this guy - only Hull made a profit of ~£100K. Burton still lost £300K, Barnsley lost £4M - These were three best performances.

Reading salaries of £35m and spend on players of £17m.
Wtf.

There should be a serious salary cap.
One where clubs cant make these ridiculous losses.
The financial fair play? What a joke.

So clubs in the Championship receive:

£2.3m basic award
£4.5m solidarity payment. So

£6.8m plus £100k for each home game televised and £10k for each away game.

But Huddersfield will receive circa £42m on parachute payments this season !!!!

It's ok - we'll just do what Reading, Villa, Sheff Wed and Derby have allegedly done and sell our ground to the owners at an inflated rate - oh hold on...……….

Back
Top Bottom