WWC 19: USA v Thailand

Sarge

God like member
Live coverage on bbb4 from 7.45pm ....8pm kick off

7-0 so far and under an hour played. Ouch.

I've watched a few of these games now. In the first I thought the French were hugely impressive and obviously the USA tonight were pretty good. But the standard is so variable. Teams like Cameroon, Thailand and Chile just try to park the bus and have nothing much else to offer. Tonight was like shooting fish in a barrel - I suppose different women's leagues over the world are at different stages of development, but it's not making for much of a competition in some games.

I've watched a few of these games now. In the first I thought the French were hugely impressive and obviously the USA tonight were pretty good. But the standard is so variable. Teams like Cameroon, Thailand and Chile just try to park the bus and have nothing much else to offer. Tonight was like shooting fish in a barrel - I suppose different women's leagues over the world are at different stages of development, but it's not making for much of a competition in some games.

I guess it’s the nature of having a ‘World Cup’. You need teams from all over the world and you try to offer berths to sides based on correct coefficients. Let’s face it - the men’s World Cup last year shouldn’t have included the likes of Saudi Arabia, Morocco and Australia if we wanted a World Cup with the very best sides in t but it does because it has to represent the ‘world’ and not simply the best rated teams.

It’s even more stark at the women’s World Cup. The US has been the leader in this arena for years. Prior to the tournament, I didn’t even know Thailand had a women’s team. It’s not the sort of mismatch you really want to see at the finals but it’s inevitable given the way the women’s game has developed in some places and is routinely ignored in others.

Back
Top Bottom