WWC 19: England v Japan 19/6/19

Sarge

God like member
Group D - 8pm

group leaders , Lionesses take on so far unbeaten Japan ... a draw would see the lionesses finish the group stages at the top of group D...Im hoping the lionesses win emphatically

oops wrong date in thread title ...should be 19/6/19:rolleyes:

Some slick passing football on show at times from Lionesses

• React
Reactions: MJB
Their ‘keeper is keeping them in it. England looking fresher than in the two previous games.

Having to absorb a lot a pressure since japan sub came on ....england need a goal or two imo

This happened against Scotland too. England go hell for leather in the first half and then tire in the second.

Is that down to the changed team they have out or do they need to better manage their own fatigue better?

This happened against Scotland too. England go hell for leather in the first half and then tire in the second.

Is that down to the changed team they have out or do they need to better manage their own fatigue better?
Bit of both i reckon

Parris set to come on as 3rd sub for england

A wins a win ....made hard work in the 2nd half though

Got lucky in the 2nd half. Couldn't pass for toffee for large chunks and way too quick to pass backwards when the opportunity to go forward was there.

White took her chance well in the 2nd half.

Two very well taken goals from two very good through balls - I'd hate to see how the shot count for both sides came out!
Apart from the goals though, we looked very iffy all night - the number of balls given away was incredible for an international side, the number of times we passed backwards or sideways into trouble too many to mention, and I have to agree that Bright in particular looked very dodgy (for some reason she reminds me of Phil Jones!).
We got through, but we were lucky, not least because Japan managed to really fluff a number of very good chances, which on another night could have seen them win 5-2.

Two very well taken goals from two very good through balls - I'd hate to see how the shot count for both sides came out!
Apart from the goals though, we looked very iffy all night - the number of balls given away was incredible for an international side, the number of times we passed backwards or sideways into trouble too many to mention, and I have to agree that Bright in particular looked very dodgy (for some reason she reminds me of Phil Jones!).
We got through, but we were lucky, not least because Japan managed to really fluff a number of very good chances, which on another night could have seen them win 5-2.

And likewise, if Japan’s ‘keeper hadn’t had such a good game, it could have ended 6-5! In fact, both goalkeepers had very good matches and that Steph Houghton challenge near the end was something else. Superbly timed.

As said above, my concern with England doesn’t rest in their ability but in managing their own resources to effectively manage the game. The neat triangles at the back when Japan pushed up put them under more pressure than they needed which ended in aimless hoofs to Jill Scott in the hope she could outjump everyone. Going at such a pace in the first half, they looked visibly tired and error-prone in the second half. It’s up to Neville and co to set the tempo and make sure that those resources are in the bank for the second half, especially with the knockout stages and potential 120 minute matches on the horizon.

Back
Top Bottom