WWC 19 England V Cameroon 23/6/19

Disgusting tackle (and subsequent abuse) from the Cameroon player in the last minute could put Houghton out of the competition.

That was(should have been) a sraight red for the tackle and a straight red for cameroons ranting n aggressive captain too

Hard fought (literally) win for the lionesses

Last edited:
Incredible, almost child-like, indiscipline from Cameroon. Referee needed to be tougher and start issuing cards. Phil Neville did well to stay fairly diplomatic afterwards but did say it 'wasn't football'.

England won't win this competition though based on that performance. Too many mistakes which will be punished by better sides.

Need to be more accurate with passing and speed up play a bit to progress further .... must lose the sloppy element that has crept into the lionesses game management in all 4 of thier matches in this world cup

And thats ignoring Cameroons fouling n cheating approach today ...and the woeful match officials inability to keep control

England need to practice their passing, very poor today.
Cameroon need to look at themselves very hard - shocking indiscipline.
The ref needs to go back to ref school, she had no control and relied on VAR to get anything right.
The VAR operators (if they are going to use the infernal thing) need to be speeded up hugely and used less frequently.

Why can't VAR be used like it is in tennis, whereby the side (captain of) on the wrong side of a decision request a review by VAR.
However, they are only allowed two calls a game (unless the call is justified) to prevent continuous requests. If they regularly use two calls a game, incorrectly, then they are reduced to one call a game.

Why can't VAR be used like it is in tennis, whereby the side (captain of) on the wrong side of a decision request a review by VAR.
However, they are only allowed two calls a game (unless the call is justified) to prevent continuous requests. If they regularly use two calls a game, incorrectly, then they are reduced to one call a game.
Or like in cricket if your overuled on review you lose your review.... if upheld you retain said review might be a logical and workable option? ....better than the farcical VAR debacle thats blighted this womens world cup finals..... (along with a number of very poor referees and assistants officiating )

It's good to see the women's game can be as controversial as the men's, and the players can hissy fit as badly as their male counterparts (cough, Neymar, cough). And the refs are just as inconsistent. Equality at long last!

I think if VAR has to be used, then it should indeed be used by a team 'appealing' a decision (as In cricket) with a very limited amount of 'appeals' allowed, of which you lose one if the appeal is unsuccessful. Much better than allowing the ref to just leave everything up to VAR (what is this playing on when a player is clearly offside nonsense all about?).

England need to practice their passing, very poor today.
Cameroon need to look at themselves very hard - shocking indiscipline.
The ref needs to go back to ref school, she had no control and relied on VAR to get anything right.
The VAR operators (if they are going to use the infernal thing) need to be speeded up hugely and used less frequently.

From what I've seen England's has generally been poor throughout the whole tournament apart from the odd spell within games.

From what I've seen England's has generally been poor throughout the whole tournament apart from the odd spell within games.
Actually I think a lot of the passing by most of the teams hasn't been great. That has surprised me a little as I thought that might well be an area that would reward coaching and isn't so dependent on physical strength.

This game was marred by the inability of the officials to maintain discipline. England were instructed from the off to keep calm and stick to their game plan. Cameroon, on the other hand, were so poor in their reactions to decisions going against them that they lost control. The reaction of the officials appeared to be one of reconciliation for the poor souls who were losing. Ridiculous. Cards should have been handed out out for fouls, dissent and very poor sportsmanship. The half time time claim of racism was a disgrace. Apparently a FIFA official came on at half time to explain the rules regarding VAR, what the hell? International level, world cup knock out stage and they need the rules explaining?

Actually I think a lot of the passing by most of the teams hasn't been great. That has surprised me a little as I thought that might well be an area that would reward coaching and isn't so dependent on physical strength.

I've seen better in domestic women's football tbf.

Norway's passing last night was also a notch above last night in comparison. If England play like they have so far then I can see Norway winning comfortably.

What I found frustrating with the passing was England would pass straight at an opponent even though they were looking at them. A few times, fair enough mistakes happen, but there have been spells when it was almost constant when England got the ball. I reckon this has happened in every England game in tournament to date.

To be honest I don't really want var and we need to accept that by an large the referees get it spot on including at league one standard. However after every match on here we see the embarrassment of fans obviously not understanding the laws arguing that referees are rubbish again so it is only fair that referees get help to make correct decisions. Referees it seems cant make any mistakes but players can make as many as they like. The camaroons should stop playing the race card and been carded by the referee the decent was obvious. Them not knowing the laws on var was almost as embarrassing as the Scottish goalkeeper not knowing the rules either. Overall not a great match and not a great advert for the womens game.

It’s all well and good moaning about VAR but it is here because fans and the media clammer for perfection from the officials. Goal line technology is a great introduction as it gives a quick decision but VAR is slow and painful.

Refs decision should be final and the media need to stop the endless camera angles highlighting potential mistakes.

It’s all well and good moaning about VAR but it is here because fans and the media clammer for perfection from the officials. Goal line technology is a great introduction as it gives a quick decision but VAR is slow and painful.

Refs decision should be final and the media need to stop the endless camera angles highlighting potential mistakes.
I tend to agree.
Also am I wrong in believing that the original rule was in respect of clear and obvious errors?
Offside should be relatively simple and I cant seecwhy that cant be cleared up in the majority of cases fairly quickly.
People have to accept that in sond cases it simply isnt black and white and even with VAR there is some interpretation involved.

Couple of points to a thread full of points I agree with.

1. VAR it’s a bit of a weird concept that the people in the stadium or on the pitch can’t actually see why a decision has changed. I very much doubt it would have calmed the Cameroonians down because they were all clearly mental, but it may calm some of the frustration in other games

2. I’ve no idea why VAR rules are constructed that they couldn’t let the referee know:
a. A player spat on another player. I don’t buy that was an accident. If I’m stood with a player right in front of me then I don’t spit in that direction. It was disgusting and intentional.
b. A player elbowed another player in the face. I don’t buy that that was an accident either.

We are all sat at home watching and the VAR team are seeing what we all see ??‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom