Would we be ready for The Championship?

Made-in-Jericho

I'd absolutely love to see us win promotion next week but if we do manage to make it would we have enough to survive in the 2nd tier?

You look at how Luton have struggled this season and it makes you wonder...

Happy of course to simply enjoy the ride and take the money!

We have managed fantastically having sold Baptiste and Fosu for a decent fee and gaining from a decent cup run.

We are in as strong a position as I can imagine us being whilst spending relatively sensibly.

Does anyone know how much is actually available to a club if you're in the Championship? Forgetting the newly relegated premier league teams and their parachute payments obviously.

What players are ready for the step up to the championship should we be lucky enough to get past Wycombe on Monday.....
Yes - Eastwood
Yes - Dickie
Yes - Moore
Yes - Gorrin
Yes - Brannigan
Yes - Browne (not our player)
Yes - Sykes
Yes - Woodburn (when fit but not our player)
Maybe - Atkinson (on loan at Eastleigh, So we don’t really know if he his good enough)
Maybe - Thorne
Maybe - Ruffles
Maybe - Taylor
Maybe - Hanson
Unlikely - Long (inconsistent)
Unlikely - Henry (legs & pace)
Unlikely - Forde
Unlikely - Agyei (Although a possible impact player)
No - Mousinho (would be ideal as a coaching role)
No - Hall (run out of chances)
No - Mackie (again, would be ideal to have a round the squad for motivation)
A lot of work ahead with a victory at Wembley....
Maybe we could poach some of our players back from the 2016 promotion season, Roofe, Callum, Lundstram, Baldock, Dunkley and Jonjo Kenny, all have held their own in better company...

How do you get ready when our best players will leave if we’re in league 1? We’ve got so many loans and a few old players that either way at the end of this season we’re gonna have to get a lot of new faces in, without thinking of any of our key players we might lose

This idea that we’re gonna be more ready by waiting a year or 2 always baffles me

And Luton are 3 points from safety and in goof form, it’s not like they’ve been whipping boys all season, if we go up and end up having a similar season then so what? It’s better than those boring league 2 mid table years I’ll promise you

We would have to spend big to compete in the Championship. Many teams bankrupt them selves trying.
I'm sure we would stick to a budget and see what happens.

How do you get ready when our best players will leave if we’re in league 1? We’ve got so many loans and a few old players that either way at the end of this season we’re gonna have to get a lot of new faces in, without thinking of any of our key players we might lose

This idea that we’re gonna be more ready by waiting a year or 2 always baffles me

Who said anything about waiting a year or two? I simply asked the question whether we could survive if we do go up, it wasn’t loaded.

What players are ready for the step up to the championship should we be lucky enough to get past Wycombe on Monday.....
Yes - Eastwood
Yes - Dickie
Yes - Moore
Yes - Gorrin
Yes - Brannigan
Yes - Browne (not our player)
Yes - Sykes
Yes - Woodburn (when fit but not our player)
Maybe - Atkinson (on loan at Eastleigh, So we don’t really know if he his good enough)
Maybe - Thorne
Maybe - Ruffles
Maybe - Taylor
Maybe - Hanson
Unlikely - Long (inconsistent)
Unlikely - Henry (legs & pace)
Unlikely - Forde
Unlikely - Agyei (Although a possible impact player)
No - Mousinho (would be ideal as a coaching role)
No - Hall (run out of chances)
No - Mackie (again, would be ideal to have a round the squad for motivation)
A lot of work ahead with a victory at Wembley....
Maybe we could poach some of our players back from the 2016 promotion season, Roofe, Callum, Lundstram, Baldock, Dunkley and Jonjo Kenny, all have held their own in better company...

Henry ? He’s spent virtually his entire career in the championship and will be a vital presence should we go up. Mous too. These type of players who have forged a genuine affinity with the club are a must. Less so Mackie because he’s clearly declined as a player but I haven’t seen that in Henry or Mous. They won’t play 40 games but I’d expect Henry to have some involvement in most of the matches and to weigh in with some crucial goals as well.

Agyei is another I wouldn’t write off either. He‘s as raw as they come in a football sense but with some clever nurturing he might just be a player that makes that step up. Some players take to a higher level easier than others and we've seen enough of Agyei late season to suggest the potential is certainly there.

With so many clubs having to tighten their belts because of the pandemic, this may be an ideal time to go up. It could be quite a leveller.
I agree with this, we would only need to finish ahead of three teams and there are more than likely going to be a basket case or two swilling around at the bottom, so we have every chance of staying up, then aim to kick on from there

I’ve looked at a number of data sources and concluded a Championship side would expect a base of £8mn (And possibly more) in TV revenue.

Back
Top Bottom