Worst "first 10 games"

bicesterox

Hard to believe I know, but since I started going to games in 1972-73 this is NOT our worst first 10 games record.
Back in 2000-01 we gained just 4 points from the first 10 with a sequence of
LLLLDLLWLL

This season is our 2nd worst start in that time with 5 points

We had 2 seasons where, working on 3 points for a win for comparison, we got 6 points, in 73-74 & 90-91

I must be bored tonight ?

So we are 1 point better than the worst OUFC team I have ever seen, my god. We conceded 100 league goals that season, and were doubled by both Reading and Swindon I believe...

Perhaps the most amazing things is that there is a team who are apparently worse than us.

Sorry to be a pedant, but season 1991-92 we had seven points after ten games. We lost the first five (Port Vale, Grimsby, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Wolves) before drawing 2-2 at home with Millwall, beating Derby at home 2-0, losing at Bristol Rovers, beating Plymouth 3-2 at home and then losing 2-1 at Ipswich.
We were in the old Div 2 (now Championship) at the time and played one relegated team from previous season, two who were promoted to Premier League at the end of that 91-92 season as well as Wolves and Derby who had big budgets for second tier in early 90s.... Fair to say Brian Horton didn't have much money to spend the previous summer as this was six weeks before Maxwell went overboard so long after that family had put any transfer budget in to the club.
That was the season where we turned season around after beating Sunderland 3-0 over Christmas, and staying up at Tranmere on last day of the season.
Horrible start to the season, but mitigation on division we were in, budget and off field uncertainty... I reckon there were prob six / seven OUFC "legends" of the last 30 years (Robbo, Ford, Melville, Phillips, Magilton, Simpson and Beauchamp) in that squad... so they certainly weren't amongst our worst ever teams...

So we are 1 point better than the worst OUFC team I have ever seen, my god. We conceded 100 league goals that season, and were doubled by both Reading and Swindon I believe...
.... and yet out of our 7 wins all season, we managed to do the double over two sides who finished int he playoff spots!

Sorry to be a pedant, but season 1991-92 we had seven points after ten games. We lost the first five (Port Vale, Grimsby, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Wolves) before drawing 2-2 at home with Millwall, beating Derby at home 2-0, losing at Bristol Rovers, beating Plymouth 3-2 at home and then losing 2-1 at Ipswich.
We were in the old Div 2 (now Championship) at the time and played one relegated team from previous season, two who were promoted to Premier League at the end of that 91-92 season as well as Wolves and Derby who had big budgets for second tier in early 90s.... Fair to say Brian Horton didn't have much money to spend the previous summer as this was six weeks before Maxwell went overboard so long after that family had put any transfer budget in to the club.
That was the season where we turned season around after beating Sunderland 3-0 over Christmas, and staying up at Tranmere on last day of the season.
Horrible start to the season, but mitigation on division we were in, budget and off field uncertainty... I reckon there were prob six / seven OUFC "legends" of the last 30 years (Robbo, Ford, Melville, Phillips, Magilton, Simpson and Beauchamp) in that squad... so they certainly weren't amongst our worst ever teams...

That is correct, we also had 7 points from 10 games in 2014-15, but I was looking at seasons where we were worse than this year, I appreciate it was in different divisions but 7 is still more than 5 :)

So, the top, or is that bottom worst starts in my time are

1} 4 points 2000-01
2} 5 points 2018-19
3} 6 points 1972-73 - working on 3 points for a win
3} 6 points 1990-91
5} 7 points 1991-92
5} 7 points 2014-15
7} 8 points 1975-76 - working on 3 points for a win
8} 9 points 1980-81 - working on 3 points for a win
8} 9 points 1985-86
8} 9 points 1998-99
8} 9 points 2008-09

That's enough, :)

That is correct, we also had 7 points from 10 games in 2014-15, but I was looking at seasons where we were worse than this year, I appreciate it was in different divisions but 7 is still more than 5 :)

So, the top, or is that bottom worst starts in my time are

1} 4 points 2000-01
2} 5 points 2018-19
3} 6 points 1972-73 - working on 3 points for a win
3} 6 points 1990-91
5} 7 points 1991-92
5} 7 points 2014-15
7} 8 points 1975-76 - working on 3 points for a win
8} 9 points 1980-81 - working on 3 points for a win
8} 9 points 1985-86
8} 9 points 1998-99
8} 9 points 2008-09

That's enough, :)

Sorry, I miss read your post, but thank you... it took me back to thinking about a team that had Simmo, Jim, Joey Beauchamp, a raw Chris Allen and old school football at the Manor....

That "top" 11 actually had a few teams I reckon we'd look back on pretty fondly..... 1998/99 with Windass, Powelly and Joey..... 1990/91 was pretty much the same team I was writing about earlier and 1985/86 are legends of all time, so I guess they all had some credit in the bank....

There are also some shockers in there.... The Kemp team was managed by Denis Smith up until the third week of September and I remember him going over to the London Road after one of the defeats and basically saying that the players he got was all he had budget for... I guess when the manager who signed Elliott, Gilchrist, Purse, Moody etc.. ended up signing Jarman, McGuckin, Richardson and Omoyinmi.. we knew there would be trouble! and the start of 2008/09 under Patto….. well we had players like Levi Reid, Curruthers, Haldane and Hutchinson!!

I really hope this lot are more 1990 / 1991 vintage than 2000, or 2008!!!

1985/6 started off with a draw at West brom, a draw with Spurs, then a 5-0 win v Leicester I think it was, so 5pts from 3 games, must have been a bit of a slump after that... Still, stayed up and won the League Cup, so hope for the current lot yet...

Back
Top Bottom