World Cup Moaning Thread

The football has been far from bad although, as Tony says in the earlier thread, the finishing has been dreadful at times. Is it a result of the change in formations in recent years? Two up top is such a rarity nowadays with ‘false nines’ and deep-lying forwards becoming the norm. Whilst these approaches are successful in club football, has the international game caught up yet?

Referees are far too passive against diving. If a player goes down looking for an advantage, don’t wave play on when they dive. Blow up, pull the play back and book them. Bookings actually put a stop to it. I want to see more players booked for it because it’s a scourge that football doesn’t deal with harshly enough.

The playacting and rolling around when injured is something that needs dealing with too. It ruins the game and slows it down completely. I’d love to see a rule where if a player goes down with an injury and if they’re on the floor for longer than 15 seconds, they have to be removed from the field of play and can only come back on after the referee’s say so. That would sort out the genuine injuries – where you’d have to leave the field of play anyway – and those who are feigning it.

And Neymar would be out of the World Cup if I had my way. Cheats should not prosper.

that showboating flick by the corner flag that has got the ITV commentators metaphorically tossing themselves raw included a 'hand ball', which none of the officicials, VAR or ITV commentators chose to see ...he blatantly controlled the post flick ball with his arm!

His forearm smash prior to Brazil scoring warranted at least a yellow card

Brazil 2018 are not a shadow of the truly great Brazil sides of the past

NOT that anyone has bothered to put the ITV commentators straight on that, as they wax lyrical about cheatio, foulio, kickio, divio, rollaroundio and the rest of them, as if all that dirty, underhand and gamesmanship niggles, which are integral to how Brazil 2018 play, is irrelevant. If some of Brazil's less salubrious tactics took place in England there would without doubt be a much different perception from the same ccommentator & pundit duo!

So for the most part, I'm really enjoying the tournament - but I think there have been quite a few tedious games, and the vast majority of them have been between, for the want of a better word, contenders and non-contenders.

Too many of the "contender" teams, who have the quality, have been content to get a goal and then sit back. And the underdog teams then huff and puff, but lack the quality to create good chances and then miss the very rare ones they do.
There have been so few teams who've scored and then pushed on to put the game to bed....Russia have done it, and so did Belgium but that's about it.

Hence, although there's been no 0-0s, there have been ten 1-0s through the first 25 games.

But mostly I'd say there's been more good than bad so far.

Oh, and a word for VAR - because that Brazil-Costa Rica game had the best use yet.

Neymar cons the referee, VAR rights the wrong.

Course he should also have been booked, but at least he didn't get to cheat his way to a penalty as he would have done in previous tournaments.

Those two Musa goals were amazing is he with Leicester if so how come he doesnt feature?

Oh, and a word for VAR - because that Brazil-Costa Rica game had the best use yet.

Neymar cons the referee, VAR rights the wrong.

Course he should also have been booked, but at least he didn't get to cheat his way to a penalty as he would have done in previous tournaments.
But, yet again they didn't pick up another blatant penalty of wrestling a player.

Come on Sweden ??, with Mexico to get a win beforehand.

Have a feeling Germany could be going out today, with Argentina teetering on the edge we could see last times finalists both out at the first round stage.

I absolutely agree with Unification.

The blatant cheating and referees total lack of any desire to stamp it out has been a blot on this WC. As said earlier, it just needs some bookings for players who dive/ roll around as if they have been shot to stop it.

And as for Referees/ VAR who seem intent on giving relatively soft penalties and yet allow players to haul attacking players to the ground with impunity. What is all of that about? One of the things with VAR is that it is supposed to stop these kind of things. Or are FIFA suggesting that it is totally OK for a defender to put his arms round the attacking players and pull them to the ground as the ball is coming over?

The blatant cheating and referees total lack of any desire to stamp it out has been a blot on this WC. As said earlier, it just needs some bookings for players who dive/ roll around as if they have been shot to stop it.

And as for Referees/ VAR who seem intent on giving relatively soft penalties and yet allow players to haul attacking players to the ground with impunity. What is all of that about? One of the things with VAR is that it is supposed to stop these kind of things. Or are FIFA suggesting that it is totally OK for a defender to put his arms round the attacking players and pull them to the ground as the ball is coming over?
Lets see what happens if tag team wrestling opponents to the ground in the penalty area goes unpunished at EFL L1 level?

agree entirely with @Foley and @unification its farcical that absolutely nothing is being done by FIFA , match officials &/or VAR operators to combat cheating in the World Cup Finals so far. IMO as many as a dozen red cards could and shouldve been issued (included to some, so called big names), which wouldve stopped most of it by now. Instead lack of proper officiating is turning the WCFinals into a joke!

What hope do players, managers and fans have when a centrally controlled VAR system shows no consistency? VAR should remove that, but it's made it worse.

I’ve been thinking over the point of diving again. Whilst the World Cup highlights it more, it’s happens all over the world in every league.

I think referees are too lenient against divers because A) if they get it wrong, they are letting off a punishment that should be given to the defending team and B) they view it as an offence not worthy enough to book someone for. It’s easier to wave play on than stop play to issue a booking. People were applauding the ref for his attitude to Neymar the other day - I didn’t think he went far enough. Neymar should have been carded for taking a dive. He deliberately tried to con the ref into giving Brazil a penalty. I know refs have a hard job and dishing out red cards constantly can ruin a game but the rules have to be inforced and punishments for diving just don’t happen as much as they should do.

When you consider taking your shirt off or revealing a slogan underneath your shirt warrants a booking but deliberately cheating to win a penalty gets very little attention, you know you need a severe change in the rules.

I’ve been thinking over the point of diving again. Whilst the World Cup highlights it more, it’s happens all over the world in every league.

I think referees are too lenient against divers because A) if they get it wrong, they are letting off a punishment that should be given to the defending team and B) they view it as an offence not worthy enough to book someone for. It’s easier to wave play on than stop play to issue a booking. People were applauding the ref for his attitude to Neymar the other day - I didn’t think he went far enough. Neymar should have been carded for taking a dive. He deliberately tried to con the ref into giving Brazil a penalty. I know refs have a hard job and dishing out red cards constantly can ruin a game but the rules have to be inforced and punishments for diving just don’t happen as much as they should do.

When you consider taking your shirt off or revealing a slogan underneath your shirt warrants a booking but deliberately cheating to win a penalty gets very little attention, you know you need a severe change in the rules.

The issue with booking neymar for the dive is that he was already on a yellow. Sending off a superstar on the world stage for a controversial offence would make any referee balk. Technically he should have, but I can see why he was lenient.

The issue with booking neymar for the dive is that he was already on a yellow. Sending off a superstar on the world stage for a controversial offence would make any referee balk. Technically he should have, but I can see why he was lenient.

Wasn't his booking just after the penalty? As he had a strop throwing the ball down after a free kick was given against him.

Please, please, please can the England "band" end up in Siberia so we don't have to listen to their awful songs

Back
Top Bottom