World Cup match chat

Hopefully the Swedish players are dishing out the taunts to the Germans via social media etc now after their doing it after the game between the 2 sides.

Bye bye, Germany!

This looks like an issue beyond leaving Sane behind. Germany looked knackered from minute one of this World Cup. Barring a good spell against a negative and fearful Sweden, they’ve looked poor. Ozil useless, Muller dropped, Khadira and Boateng slow, Werner no patch on Klose. It’s by far their worst performance since Euro 2004 which was a catalyst for them to have a total rethink of their structure that led them to winning the World Cup again. They’re going to need another one now.

Glad that Mexico went through. Their first two performances warranted it and the Swedes are a tough side to beat. @Tony called it the Group of Death and it was in the end. Even South Korea caused problems throughout.

After yesterdays boring afternoon games that was a bit better! Who's he thought s Korea would put the krauts out? !!!!...shame Nigeria didn't put the argues out last night...though the French may do that job in the ko rounds? Here's hoping :sneaky:

As for Korea although they're out, that win isn't one to be sniffed at! :)

Last edited:
Seismic shock The Germans crashing out???
This is a whole new World Cup opening up!

Holy ****

It's hard to overstate how poor and, frankly un-German, die Mannschaft looked over the course of the tournament. All the players wot won it four years ago just looked old. Werner, who was supposed to be the bright young star of the tournament, looked like he would struggle in League One. And their other younger prospects either barely got into the games (Brandt) or didn't even get on the plane (Sane).

They need to blow it up, and knowing the Germans, I suspect they will. Taxi for Low!

Last edited:
Two other points that the German game brought up:

1) That's the best case for VAR yet. Definitely a goal, but equally clearly something that was nigh-on impossible for the ref & lino to see in real time. Took the ref about five seconds in front of a TV to see it came off Kroos and give the correct decision. Maybe they need to have VAR, but just restrict it to offside decisions? And not subjective handballs......

2) Before that round of games, I was half thinking that I wouldn't mind England losing tomorrow to get into the 'easier' half of the draw.
Now I realise that this World Cup is so ridiculously unpredictable that not only can you not predict which teams are good in the tournament - you can't even predict whether a team's going to be good on any given day! Mexico were outstanding for the first two games, but they got bullied and battered by the Swedes today. It's impossible to say which game is going to be harder than another.
So no - we need to play our strongest team tomorrow, thump Belgium and lay down a marker. There's noone in this tournament to fear, noone worth avoiding. It's up for grabs!

Is it just me, or wasn't the Korean player onside anyway?

I think he would have been just off if it had gone directly off the Korean at the front post.

You know what, I'd love it - LOVE IT - if Serbia sent the Brazilians packing.

Brazil are far more likeable this time around. Less sense of entitlement since they binned Scolari and they were humbled by Germany, but they still have one odious element - Neymar. His cheating, diving and desire to the centre of attention irk me.

And I don't just hope Serbia can do it, I think they can. Some wily, old heads in there who know how to win in Europe who can go toe-to-toe with Neymar's histrionics. They were fine against Costa Rica and despite a late defensive lapse matched Switzerland as they did with Brazil.

I fully expect the coverage to be a Neymar love-in though.

Brazil are far more likeable this time around. Less sense of entitlement since they binned Scolari and they were humbled by Germany, but they still have one odious element - Neymar. His cheating, diving and desire to the centre of attention irk me.

And I don't just hope Serbia can do it, I think they can. Some wily, old heads in there who know how to win in Europe who can go toe-to-toe with Neymar's histrionics. They were fine against Costa Rica and despite a late defensive lapse matched Switzerland as they did with Brazil.

^ ditto .....though I don't particularly like them cheatios nor the way commentators and pundits fawn over them like they do with the argies....in contrast to most football supporters. Come on you Serbs brasil are not all that

I'm struggling to understand why Brazil don't get Firmino in the team.

They've got all these little forwards buzzing around, but noone to act as the focal point, hold the ball up and bring them all into the play.

They could then stick Jesus out right, and Willian on the bench (where he probably belongs) and they'd be a much more balanced attacking team.

The only thing that's surprising is that people are surprised that Germany played so badly. They haven't replaced key men adequately and their system throughout each of the three games was complete arseways. Awful run-up to the tournament as well. Absolutely deserved.

I have the Neymar love in.
As they said on TV at times he looks like he can't be bothered.
Apparently the new Arsenal manager went to PSG to find that Neymar decided where he played ...
Cheating got and arrogant with it (at least Ronaldo has more reason to be arrogant)

That bottom half of the draw looks more and more appealing every time I look at it.

Go on Gareth you know 2nd in the group makes sense. Looks like a clean run to the semi’s at least.

Trust in the squad and play whoever. Ask those players to show Southgate what they can do.
We can go a long way in this World Cup, but only with everyone giving it all they’ve got.

That bottom half of the draw looks more and more appealing every time I look at it.

Go on Gareth you know 2nd in the group makes sense. Looks like a clean run to the semi’s at least.
Iceland looked an appealing route two years ago!!

Totally different this time Mooro. Different leadership. Unity between the players. The squad looks like they enjoy playing together. Kane isn’t taking corners. There’s more I can add. But I’d take bottom half of the draw, over the minefield At the top half.

1) That's the best case for VAR yet. Definitely a goal, but equally clearly something that was nigh-on impossible for the ref & lino to see in real time. Took the ref about five seconds in front of a TV to see it came off Kroos and give the correct decision. Maybe they need to have VAR, but just restrict it to offside decisions? And not subjective handballs......

Nonsense. According to Jonathan Pearce you could see it was offside and VAR wasn't needed. Not like him to be a bit behind the times and confused by new technology...

Back
Top Bottom