World Cup match chat

I don’t see Sweden recovering from that late late goal by Wednesday, think Mexico will win, so Germany should be comfortable enough for a second round place.

What Germany proved is they are beatable. The result, like Argentina, doesn't paper over the cracks on a team that really struggles to defend. Boateng's red card may do them a favour as clearly he fancies himself as a player he's not.

Why did they leave Sane at home? Makes no sense

Brilliant, brilliant third goal by Colombia. From one end to another in two passes.

Poland have been gutless, can hardly string 3 passes together. Every time they get the ball, they either give away possession, or knock it long which goes astray and out of play. Very poor from the Poles.

Sooooo.....the halfway point. 32 games, 85 goals (respectable 2.65 goal per game average), zero nil-nils (fairly amazing), plenty of surprises.

Been pretty good so far. Now we see if they keeps up when the games have terminal consequences or if everyone gets tentative and defensive. Will likely determine whether this World Cup is viewed as a good 'un or a disappointment.

I think the zero nil nils might be about to go, France and Denmark seem happy enough with that score, even with Australia taking the pressure off by losing 2-0.

The French have been dour all tournament.

With the attacking talent they've got, they ought to be playing at pace and with purpose....and should be one of the more entertaining teams.

Instead they seem content with passing it around needlessly at a snail's pace and hope to nick a goal. Reflecting the character of their manager, I guess.

Hopefully they either turn it on in the knockouts, or get knocked out quickly, because I've no desire to watch them play like they have four more times.

They have good attacking players but no real width for me, the full backs they are using are not up to much going forward and in the modern game that doesn’t work once you reach a certain level.

They still got through comfortable enough, and maybe there style will be more effective against sides with more attacking intent, I don’t see them winning it without a big improvement though.

Some goal that from Rojo.
Excellent refereeing as well, in my opinion.
Croatia with nine changes still too much for Iceland.

Some goal that from Rojo.
Excellent refereeing as well, in my opinion.
Croatia with nine changes still too much for Iceland.
I agree. Far better ref than the one last night in the Portugal game.
Good game and just a shame Argentina went through.
What a t*at Maradonna is.

Mbappe v that Argentina defence? Could be carnage if Deschamps can allow a bit of freedom to Les Bleus.

I know they’re a tad inexperienced but Nigeria let that one go. For 25 minutes they bossed that second half. They then started hoofing, booting it downfield without attempting to look for the man, sitting deep and not tracking runners. It was brainless football. I don’t like this awful Argentina side progressing but at the expense of Nigeria’s awful play (the excellent Musa aside) I’ll forgive it on this occasion.

Gutted for Nigeria last night. But they just ran out of steam late on. Argentina getting through is annoying because it allows them the chance to improve.
They were pretty awful and you can be sure that their poor sportsmanship will shuffle on into the latter part of this tournament now.

Nigeria missed a series of really good chances before the 2nd Argentina goal. The Ighalo one in particular was a shocker. I don't fancy the Argies to get far in the tournament. A rabble

It was sad for Nigeria - but they really can only look at themselves; had chances to put the game to bed, and then defended very poorly on the goal.

Looking at things positively - Portugal, Uruguay, Argentina & France are now all in the same quarter of the draw and so only one of them can make the semi-finals. On talent, it ought to be France, but with the way Deschamps keeps them shackled, it wouldn't surprise me to see one of the others emerge.

Ze Germans.

Are they messing with our heads again?

Back
Top Bottom