World Cup match chat

VAR again! Peru given a penalty

What would have had happened if Denmark broke from that incident and scored? It's asking for trouble!

VAR only comes into play once the ball is dead. If Denmark scored (directly, no fouls or throw ins) the VAR check would have happened then, the Denmark goal ruled out and the penalty confirmed.

VAR only comes into play once the ball is dead. If Denmark scored (directly, no fouls or throw ins) the VAR check would have happened then, the Denmark goal ruled out and the penalty confirmed.

This is ridiculous. Even if you support the system, introducing it at a World Cup before the kinks are ironed out is madness.

Goal line technology is at least quick and simple, and easy enough to roll out at the top levels.

Seeing as VAR will never make its way down to below Championship level, I don't see how this is going to maintain the purity of football.

The reason it works so well in the NFL and Rugby is that there are so many spells where the ball goes dead, that you can go back and check on the tackles, and if the ball went into touch, etc.

Without VAR, we have one of the nation's greatest moments (Hurst 1966), and some of our most iconic controversies (Maradona 1986, Lampard 2010). I'm sure I'll be left even further behind in the dust as I get older, but half the fun used to be having an incorrect decision go your way, and knowing you earned it because of the decisions you should have gotten earlier.

This is ridiculous. Even if you support the system, introducing it at a World Cup before the kinks are ironed out is madness.

Goal line technology is at least quick and simple, and easy enough to roll out at the top levels.

Seeing as VAR will never make its way down to below Championship level, I don't see how this is going to maintain the purity of football.

The reason it works so well in the NFL and Rugby is that there are so many spells where the ball goes dead, that you can go back and check on the tackles, and if the ball went into touch, etc.

Without VAR, we have one of the nation's greatest moments (Hurst 1966), and some of our most iconic controversies (Maradona 1986, Lampard 2010). I'm sure I'll be left even further behind in the dust as I get older, but half the fun used to be having an incorrect decision go your way, and knowing you earned it because of the decisions you should have gotten earlier.

The kinks are there, doubtless. Have said as much in another thread on the subject. That said, I don't see the problem in this case to be honest. If the decision is upheld then everything continues as it would. If a decision is reversed then everything that happens afterwards is declared void. The only question I would have is what happens if there is a foul in the subsequent passage of play deemed worthy of a yellow and the player is already on a yellow. Does he get sent off (probably not). What if he karate kicks someone (then he probably does get sent off, as dangerous play and unsportsmanlike conduct don't stop with the whistle).

Another issue that has arisen so far in this World Cup is that possible trips (even slight ones) will be reviewed yet utterly blatant pushes are ignored. Denmark should have had a penalty for a push and there was another blatant one in one of the other earlier games.

So VAR gives penalties for minor contact, but completely ignores tugging in the box. I fail to understand what the point of it is, other than to encourage players who feel contact to fall over in the box. It's just poorly conceived and poorly implemented

The kinks are there, doubtless. Have said as much in another thread on the subject. That said, I don't see the problem in this case to be honest. If the decision is upheld then everything continues as it would. If a decision is reversed then everything that happens afterwards is declared void. The only question I would have is what happens if there is a foul in the subsequent passage of play deemed worthy of a yellow and the player is already on a yellow. Does he get sent off (probably not). What if he karate kicks someone (then he probably does get sent off, as dangerous play and unsportsmanlike conduct don't stop with the whistle).

So if the other team goes up the other end and scores a worldie, only to be told it doesn't count, would that be a good scenario? For me it would definitely ruin the flow of the game.

Apart from the excellent Portugal-Spain game, VAR is the most interesting talking point so far!

Yep that’s the stand out game so far. I do feel however the games will improve as the tournament goes on.

Would be nice to see the Mexicans give the Germans a good match.

Hello.....cat meet pigeons.....

Germany looked slow, ponderous and not particularly well organized defensively. If Mexico had been able to finish off a 3-on-2, they'd have won 6-0!

Löw obviously not been sniffing his balls hard enough.

(see Wiki page if reference is obscure)

Germany looked awful. Sluggish and exhausted and we’re only one game in. Khadira looked off the pace and Boateng was dreadful. Did Ozil do anything?

A lot rides on their next game against a tough-to-beat Sweden. Anything less than a win there and they could be in a heap of trouble.

Germany looked awful. Sluggish and exhausted and we’re only one game in. Khadira looked off the pace and Boateng was dreadful. Did Ozil do anything?

A lot rides on their next game against a tough-to-beat Sweden. Anything less than a win there and they could be in a heap of trouble.

Let’s hope so...

• React
Reactions: m
Well done Mexico now with Sweden it would be a shame if they to beat the Germans to knock them out of the World Cup, would love to know how the pundits would react “ the World Cup it’s not the same without Germany “

Even if they get past Sweden.....if Mexico continue to play well, then Germany are now looking at a second round matchup against Brazil!

(this is assuming that Brazil win Group E.....thought Serbia looked just a decent striker away from being a good side earlier.....

....and of course, Sweden have already knocked out both the Netherlands and Italy in qualifying for this tournament. They'll now be looking to complete the set!

Germany looked very one paced to me, early days but they don’t look a patch on four years ago.

Great goal by Coutinho, you can see why Brazil are favourites with this team,a lot of quality in the squad.

Back
Top Bottom