Within the UK should any COVID-19 restrictions be applied (poll)?

Within the UK should any COVID-19 restrictions be applied?

• 2 words - Summer Holidays. Done with restrictions & masks

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Tight on borders with testing & stay at home, masks optional

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Tight on borders with testing & stay at home. Plus double jab all adults

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Implement better tracing, border control, SAH, double jab.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Improve tracing, border control, SAH, double jab & masks use mandatory indoors

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Tight restrictions, improve tracing, border control, SAH, double jab, masks use mandatory indoors

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes, both, and also a 3 day trip deep into the jungle south of Sandakan. Fantastic! Wild elephants, wild orang utangs, and many other birds, monkeys, and insects, snakes. etc. Also included 2 bloodsuckers, 1 on my leg and 1 on my back. Also slept in a longhouse from the head-hunters and drunk their self-distilled whisky. Boy was I drunk!

One of the best holidays I've ever had.
To keep everything in 1 Post.

1) The whole world is watching the UK and what happens next with Covid, ie impact on hospitals.
2) Football related, the MPL and MSL restart this weekend, no supporters but is online if you want to watch some decent football (unlike the rubbish in Singapore, James)
3) Sabah is awesome, full of wild creatures! Just like this forum.
4) Holiday? Whats that? :-((((((((((

Off to Malta on Monday with Mrs Bazzer both double jabbed and apparently you don’t have to wear masks outdoors which will be great because of the heat but indoors you do and we will, I have an exemption badge but as a courtesy I shall wear a mask.
We both will take extra care whist we are out there for our own safety.
we are only going as it is now safer there than it is here.
Thanks to Boris, it is safer in Mogadishu than here.

To keep everything in 1 Post.

1) The whole world is watching the UK and what happens next with Covid, ie impact on hospitals.
2) Football related, the MPL and MSL restart this weekend, no supporters but is online if you want to watch some decent football (unlike the rubbish in Singapore, James)
3) Sabah is awesome, full of wild creatures! Just like this forum.
4) Holiday? Whats that? :-((((((((((
Haha ha.
Apart from JDT, we'd turn over any of your fraud football teams. Including your national team and their foreign players ;)
For those who don't know, Malaysia is going through a tough lockdown.
Did you read that we got put onto Phrase 2, due to a spread from KTVs.

Interesting no natural immunity proof on that poll list - which really shows the government messaging.
I find it very perplexing the Government is pushing for the vaccine passports, which have a fairly minimal effect on refusing transmission, yet refuse to acknowledge natural immunity, which provides far superior, likely close to 100% protection from infection or transmission.

Is there any reliable test for 'natural immunity'?

Yep. Natural immunity is immunity resulting from infection with covid19 - so proof of infection or presence of immunity markers to indicate previous infection.
So a high quality pcr, or (less reliably) lateral flow to confirm infection.
Or
Presence of antibodies against a range of sars-cov2 proteins.(very easy to do)
Or
T-cell immunity (Hardest to test of the 3).

The challenge in a mass sense are individuals who didn't get a pcr test when tested, have no antibodies, but do have t-cell immunity (this is usually the young, healthy, mild disease/asymptomatic groups). There isn't really a way to screen quickly and efficiently for t cell immunity yet.

Interesting. And how 'immune' are those who have had it, either to reinfection by the same variant or a different one? Is it impossible to catch the disease twice?

Can such people still carry and spread the virus?

Interesting no natural immunity proof on that poll list - which really shows the government messaging.
I find it very perplexing the Government is pushing for the vaccine passports, which have a fairly minimal effect on refusing transmission, yet refuse to acknowledge natural immunity, which provides far superior, likely close to 100% protection from infection or transmission.
It is of course sensible to think that once you have got Covid you have got a higher rate of immunity from it as your body has built up antibodies to fight against it. However, while you can still catch it after the vaccine, it makes the reaction from it less extreme. So surely having the vaccine and then catching Covid the best solution to build up the best resistance from it?
Covid is here to stay and will become another type of flu so eventually everyone has to catch it to build up an immune system against it.

Fair point rising your natural immunity concept, which was never applied into the poll. As I live in Singapore, the natural immunity theory hasn't been addressed or really discussed by my government nor the heath minister (that I am aware off). They are actually quite opposed to that theory & try to keep it out of the local media. Since about 4 weeks ago they have rolled out vaccinations jabs to those over 12 years old.

Re natural immunity.

Radicalox hasn't answered my queries, but I can answer one.

I was looking to see how we'd done in the Olympics overnight, and the first thing I read was this (on the BBC Sport website) "Swimmer Tom Dean sensationally clinched Britain's fourth gold of the Tokyo Games on day four of the Olympics, six months after he contracted Covid for a second time."

So natural immunity does not seem to be a 'thing' any more than it is with flu or the common cold. You can still get it - even if you've had it. Reading up about it, the current theory is that getting the disease might give *some* immunity for a limited time (and hence why there are plans for booster jabs in the Autumn)

And (after a bit more research) here is an extract from the summary section of a SAGE document from the end of May this year (https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ars-cov-2-after-natural-infection-27-may-2021)

7. Following natural infection with SARS-CoV-2:
a. Protection against symptomatic PCR-confirmed infection with SARS-CoV-2 is high for a period of at least 7 months, estimated at 81% (95% CI 75-84%) (high confidence).
b. Protection against all PCR-confirmed infections with SARS-CoV-2 is high for a period of at least 6 months, estimated to be 69% (95%CI – 60-76%) (high confidence).
c. Protection against asymptomatic or atypical PCR-confirmed infections with SARS-CoV-2 is moderate for a period of at least 6 months, estimated at 40% (95% CI 20-55%) (high confidence).

So although there is protection after being infected you are by no means immune (either from getting it or spreading it) and that diminishes with time (detailed in the document)

Re natural immunity.

Radicalox hasn't answered my queries, but I can answer one.

I was looking to see how we'd done in the Olympics overnight, and the first thing I read was this (on the BBC Sport website) "Swimmer Tom Dean sensationally clinched Britain's fourth gold of the Tokyo Games on day four of the Olympics, six months after he contracted Covid for a second time."

So natural immunity does not seem to be a 'thing' any more than it is with flu or the common cold. You can still get it - even if you've had it. Reading up about it, the current theory is that getting the disease might give *some* immunity for a limited time (and hence why there are plans for booster jabs in the Autumn)

Sorry, but you are wrong here. Basic principles in immunity will say that once you have been infected with an RNA virus line Coronavirus, the immunity is robust and long lasting. Don't take notice of anecdotal cases in the media. I could share many published papers showing that 1) Protection from after infection with Covid19 has lasted as long as the studies have now gone on for (Approaching 18 month or so since we started seeing people infected) 2) The nature of the immunityis robust and cross reactive - in particular comparable to yellow fever immunity that last 20 years + 3) Those that were infected with SARS 1 virus (an almost identical virus to the virus that causes Covid19) had immunity 17 years later.
I appreciate why would you take the word of the random forum guy, and that's fair enough. I won't share a list of papers as that would get too long winded, but I've attached a doc by SAGE (ref : https://assets.publishing.service.g...I-M-O_Summary_Roadmap_second_Step_4.2__1_.pdf)

You can see SAGE advisors in their models are assuming either 100% (for 2 groups) or 85% (1 group) protection from previous infected with the alpha variant against beta variant against reinfection. This is much higher than the vaccine figures they assume.

Re: your point about cold and Flu. The cold is caused by many different types of viruses, hence why you cannot have immunity against "the cold".
Flu we do have natural immunity against. That is why we don't have a flu epidemic every year. The majority of the population, who have a healthy immune system, have prior immunity to flu from previous years. Flu vaccinations concentrate on groups with weaker immune system who may not have as strong natural immunity (but many will). The concern with Flu is "Pandemic Flu", which by definition is a flu strains different enough from previous ones that there is limited immunity in the population and so it can spread easily and do more harm.

Attachments

• sage.png
    sage.png
    109.9 KB · Views: 4
You obviously know what you are talking about. What are your opinions on the second post (quoting the SAGE studies)? That implies to me (a layman!) that protection is far from 100%?

You obviously know what you are talking about. What are your opinions on the second post (quoting the SAGE studies)? That implies to me (a layman!) that protection is far from 100%?
I haven't actually seen that document before. Will give it a read when I get a chance !

Back
Top Bottom