• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 87.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So if the PL have a winter break beginning of February ,how will they fit in their fixtures if the country gets heavy snow and freezing weather December January , pitches maybe ok but surrounding area may not , just creating a fixture problem for themselves and us win we get there.

It's almost inevitable ELF will follow suit...especially with the prem league fellating Shaun Harvey involved at EFL

It's almost inevitable ELF will follow suit...especially with the prem league fellating Shaun Harvey involved at EFL
I'm not sure it is inevitable - is not part of the argument that the ELF continues and achieves greater exposure for a couple of weeks while the PL sides are playing exhibition games in the Far East, er sorry "Resting"?
I dont see a problem if it just the PL sides, other leagues have done it for a long time, so no reason to plough on ourselves just because players used to play 10 games a week over Christmas 50 years ago, or whatever (as long as they are limited in their activities during the break).
I dont think it is necessary for the EFL sides though and I cannot see any benefit (financial or otehrwise) to anyone within the 72 to do so.

I'm not sure it is inevitable - is not part of the argument that the ELF continues and achieves greater exposure for a couple of weeks while the PL sides are playing exhibition games in the Far East, er sorry "Resting"?
I dont see a problem if it just the PL sides, other leagues have done it for a long time, so no reason to plough on ourselves just because players used to play 10 games a week over Christmas 50 years ago, or whatever (as long as they are limited in their activities during the break).
I dont think it is necessary for the EFL sides though and I cannot see any benefit (financial or otehrwise) to anyone within the 72 to do so.

In the article, the EFL said:

The EFL has also been taking part in the negotiations but the winter break will not apply in the Sky Bet Championship, League One and League Two. The 46-game schedule for each division means that there is less flexibility.

This stuff does my head in, if the poor prima donnas need a break due to too many games then STOP the group stage champions league / Europa format and return to League winners only in straight knockout but of course they wont do that as their only interested in money money and more money.
I would also love to know who can state without contradiction well in advance when pitches are not going to playable or access areas to stadiums not safe?....Everyone knows the more elite teams will just foxtrot oscar to warmer climes for exhibition games for financial gain so where is the break?
As for the likes of Sky Bt etc they wont care as they still have customers money and those who choose to keep feeding them and the clubs/players bank balances will accept it regardless.

Two weeks in Feb from 2021 onwards certain monied prem big hitters will be very likely jetting off to warmer climes to take part in lucrative showcase friendlies and tournaments....screened by sky sports.. . Then come April prem managers & coaches will bleat on about a fixture congestion!

Last edited:
Isn't the current weather exactly why we should NOT have a winter break? If Saturday's match is cancelled then that will be in March. And it's possible the bad weather will last for a week or two (or at least that's what they were saying originally). Possibly three matches postponed. But let's say we have already taken January (when it was very mild and all matches were played) off for the 'winter break'. We played 6 matches in January. Add in the three that we can't (in this example) play in March and we are now nine matches behind by the time we get to April! Even at two matches a week, week after week, that is another month onto the season, which would then have to finish in early June.

And I agree with Sarge - the prem clubs will just treat the whole thing as an excuse to go and make money elsewhere anyway!

one idea muted was that they (the players) only get 2/3 days off before back to training again to prepare fo a game 10 days or so later.

How does playing the same amount of games over the same time frame rest you? Surely it just moves the hectic fixture rush a bit further down the road.

Back
Top Bottom