EFL Winding Up Petitions / Lists in the football league and beyond

Quite a strange one from last week, the Gazette published a Winding Up Petition on Oldham Athletic and then followed up with another notice saying it shouldn't have been published.

Quite a strange one from last week, the Gazette published a Winding Up Petition on Oldham Athletic and then followed up with another notice saying it shouldn't have been published.
Apparently HMRC posted it in error according to something I saw on twitter last week. Seems a massive mistake to make.

Apparently HMRC posted it in error according to something I saw on twitter last week. Seems a massive mistake to make.
I think one of ours from last year was an error as well, something about the notice not being correctly served upon the club.

I think one of ours from last year was an error as well, something about the notice not being correctly served upon the club.
This apparently served a fair way after a payment received.

Bury's latest winding up petition was dismissed on 18 December.

Although not a WUO, Birmingham in trouble again with the EFL for financial issues, could be another points deduction.

Apparently Southend are having cashflow problems and there has been problems paying all the players and staff. They haven't had a lot of home games has possibly exacerbated this.

An absolute joke. I hope they get relegated now and I hope Macclesfield consider legal action.

It's utterly bizarre.

Bolton are brought in front of an Independent Commission for failing to fulfill two fixtures - suspended 5 point sentence
Macclesfield are brought in front of an Independent Commission for failing to fulfill one fixture and paying players late - 10 point sentence, with only 4 points suspended.
The EFL appeals the Bolton sanction, and loses.

Either the EFL rules really don't give a damn about failing to fulfill fixtures, and the Macclesfield punishment was really all about late payment of players (in which case, we could have been in trouble!)

Or the EFL don't have any hard and fast rules, and the 'Independent Commission' just does whatever it likes - which is usually to heavily punish the small clubs, while lightly slapping the wrist of the bigger ones.

It probably isn't going to matter in the long run this season - because Bolton aren't showing good enough form to make anyone think they'll get out of the relegation zone(they'd still be second bottom, even without their 12 point deduction). And Macclesfield are looking mediocre enough in League Two that they'll probably survive on the pitch, even having been docked six points (if the club can survive off it)…..

…...but maybe the EFL might want to consider ACTUALLY HAVING AND APPLYING SOME RULES TO THEIR COMPETITIONS!!!

I think the argument is that Bolton are under new ownership and management. Whereas the owners of Macclesfield are the same ones not paying the bills as before.

I think the argument is that Bolton are under new ownership and management. Whereas the owners of Macclesfield are the same ones not paying the bills as before.

That is a weak argument (I not suggesting you are making it) as Bolton benefitted from the overspending at other clubs' expense when they got promoted from L1 etc. Otherwise every club in their situation could make that claim, as could Bury as a good chunk of the debt came under the previous owner.

Southend potentially back in the brown stuff. Haven't paid all the wages due and as a result Stewards are threatening to strike for the next home game (Saturday I think). Talk that the players are considering strike action as well.

Ipswich believe it to be a mistake and it wii be kicked out. At least so far we are not having these petitions going through

Back
Top Bottom