EFL Winding Up Petitions / Lists in the football league and beyond

that's what I was wondering. tough on the supporters who have had years of crap to put up with but they did go into administration so should get some punishment for that.
will be interesting to see what happens there

that's what I was wondering. tough on the supporters who have had years of crap to put up with but they did go into administration so should get some punishment for that.
will be interesting to see what happens there

It is tough on the supporters but then it was tough on Luton supporters etc.

And werent this sats oppents given an extention to sort where theyre playing home games next season (no more than 6 miles from the centre of coventry?) April 7 is their new deadline, i think?....potentiality coventry city & blackpool could both have 12pts deducted
Unlikely that either will get any points deduction imo

Although it would be terrible if two teams went out of business, if the by-product of this was that nobody was relegated from League Two, meaning that whoever won the Conference had to stay down, I would laugh my head off if that team was Leyton Orient!!!

Although it would be terrible if two teams went out of business, if the by-product of this was that nobody was relegated from League Two, meaning that whoever won the Conference had to stay down, I would laugh my head off if that team was Leyton Orient!!!
I think the promotions would still happen though, or the league would be short of a couple of teams...

think that’s called karma

I think the promotions would still happen though, or the league would be short of a couple of teams...
I wonder if Shaun Harvey already has a cunning plan to fill in any gaps, by for instance inviting a Manchester United and Manchester City B team to complete the spaces.
I guess though that if two league teams go out of business, it means a reprieve for the bottom two in L2, and it's still two up from the national league.

What would happen if three or four went bust, who knows? I guess they'd decide to either have more up from national league, or have a one-off season with 22 or 23 teams in L2 until they could get the numbers back to 92.

I wonder if Shaun Harvey already has a cunning plan to fill in any gaps, by for instance inviting a Manchester United and Manchester City B team to complete the spaces.
I guess though that if two league teams go out of business, it means a reprieve for the bottom two in L2, and it's still two up from the national league.

What would happen if three or four went bust, who knows? I guess they'd decide to either have more up from national league, or have a one-off season with 22 or 23 teams in L2 until they could get the numbers back to 92.

Salford City will effectively be Man Utd B should they get in the League I reckon.

And werent this sats oppents given an extention to sort where theyre playing home games next season (no more than 6 miles from the centre of coventry?) April 7 is their new deadline, i think?....potentiality coventry city & blackpool could both have 12pts deducted
Unlikely that either will get any points deduction imo

I believe the deadline for Coventry is April 2nd as that is the latest the FL can convene an EGM iirc.

I believe the deadline for Coventry is April 2nd as that is the latest the FL can convene an EGM iirc.
Thought it was early april...wasnt sure of the date....cheers for clarifying

Personally if the FL don't give them the full points deduction then a dangerous precedent has been set as ultimately all such situations are down to incompetent/bad owners/dodgy owners with insufficient funds or asset strippers. Blackpool's case is ultimately no different to past cases as Blackpool aren't the 1st or won't be the last case of asset stripping.

I mentioned this on another thread - but as I understand it, the logic of treating this case differently is that Blackpool's administration may not have been caused by an inability to pay their bills, but rather a refusal to pay their bills (to their former investor, Belokon). Administration meant that Oyston could no longer just refuse to pay as he had been.....in fact, they were able to turf him out of the club entirely.

The points deduction is designed to stop clubs from essentially cheating - spending more money than they can afford to gain a competitive edge, and then defaulting on their bills. If the administrators determine that Blackpool are actually perfectly financially viable, and just weren't paying back the money owed because Oyston didn't want to......then there's definitely an argument that they haven't been cheating in quite the same way that other teams who are punished do. Course if the administrators determine that the club is also conventionally financially screwy....then the 12 point deduction should be on its way.

As an aside - my understanding is that Bolton won't actually be wound up tomorrow if the case goes against them. They would just go into administration themselves. Which - given that their problems are down to being a financial basket case - would mean a 12 point deduction and certain relegation. But I don't believe there's a danger of them ceasing to exist. Not immediately, in any case.

Shame for Notts County, because I think two clubs being chucked out of the league in the next month is the most likely way they're avoiding a trip to the conference......

I mentioned this on another thread - but as I understand it, the logic of treating this case differently is that Blackpool's administration may not have been caused by an inability to pay their bills, but rather a refusal to pay their bills (to their former investor, Belokon). Administration meant that Oyston could no longer just refuse to pay as he had been.....in fact, they were able to turf him out of the club entirely.

The points deduction is designed to stop clubs from essentially cheating - spending more money than they can afford to gain a competitive edge, and then defaulting on their bills. If the administrators determine that Blackpool are actually perfectly financially viable, and just weren't paying back the money owed because Oyston didn't want to......then there's definitely an argument that they haven't been cheating in quite the same way that other teams who are punished do. Course if the administrators determine that the club is also conventionally financially screwy....then the 12 point deduction should be on its way.

As an aside - my understanding is that Bolton won't actually be wound up tomorrow if the case goes against them. They would just go into administration themselves. Which - given that their problems are down to being a financial basket case - would mean a 12 point deduction and certain relegation. But I don't believe there's a danger of them ceasing to exist. Not immediately, in any case.

Shame for Notts County, because I think two clubs being chucked out of the league in the next month is the most likely way they're avoiding a trip to the conference......

I do get the rationale around Blackpool but by introducing caveats into the rule it opens it up to be exploited.

Ultimately, the bill wasn't paid whether they could or couldn't pay the bill and this has led to them being in administration. I'm sure other clubs' fans can point at something the owners did that would elicit sympathy for their club that led to administration etc.

As an example, if we'd gone into administration because of the HMRC bill, we had 2 very wealthy Directors (excluding Tiger) with the resources capable to pay the bill but if they hadn't we would have got the points deduction.

Last edited:
EFL rules state that the Championship and League One must have 24 teams each, with League Two containing the remaining teams - up to 24. I think the EFL would ideally keep 24 teams in League Two, so if a club ceases to be a member, it affects the relegation places from their division downwards. Quite what would happen in the event of three or more teams leaving, I don't know. They'd have to either reduce the number of teams in League Two, or offer more conference teams a league spot. And if all this were to happen over the summer, it wouldn't give that much time for the teams to prepare for the division that they weren't expecting to be in.
Non League clubs often have this issue with their regional divisions, as the borders move to ensure the same number of teams in each, but which leaves some clubs at a major disadvantage having to wait until July before finding out where they are playing.

Non League clubs often have this issue with their regional divisions, as the borders move to ensure the same number of teams in each, but which leaves some clubs at a major disadvantage having to wait until July before finding out where they are playing.
Oxford City fc for example ... national league north (strangely) for several seasons before eventually ( & more sensibly) now in national league south

70 plus years ago the football league had division 3 north and division 3 south prior to changing to non regionalised division 3 and division 4 ....currently known as EFL league 1 and EFL league 2

Evolution of sorts?

Oxford City fc for example ... national league north (strangely) for several seasons before eventually ( & more sensibly) now in national league south

70 plus years ago the football league had division 3 north and division 3 south prior to changing to non regionalised division 3 and division 4 ....currently known as EFL league 1 and EFL league 2

Evolution of sorts?
Personally, I would go with fixed borders and potentially different numbers of teams in each, but I dont see that ever happening

Evolution of sorts?
But now look like going North again :D

Back
Top Bottom