Winding-up petition number 5 - Here we go again!!!

https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/2019/april/firoka-statement/ - Club statement !

"The club is reviewing its position and reserving its right to instigate further arbitration proceedings if necessary, but we remain hopeful that we can work with Firoka/Mr Kassam to finally find a FAIR deal for all concerned and for the club to work with a FAIR stadium agreement going forward."

1 million a year to rent the ground? Surely buying the ground would be a better deal! I'm not I really understand the set up with the ground and the club. Seems to me Mr Kassam has the club over a barrel?
To be clear it includes a service charge which would include rates water electricity.
So that includes the rent and all services I suspect.
Still a lot of money
I assume that the club are leaving out VAT this time!

wants a fair and reasonable service charge
offered to pay 10/4 and sit down but firoka cancelled
accept was late

decision to pay players not rent was his
hmrc up to date
he was paid last
can he address off field issues in stead of kr, says he is up front but comes with kr profile
compliance delays were known about but went over expected average time, has taught them a lesson and will transfer earlier
fundamental problem is too far way says Jerome, says late but always fulfilled
board meeting 27/4, club needs to run sustainably
fans should not worry about administration or going out of business
in a nutshell, that covers it (5 min ff)

last finally finally Q from jerome was- ' Can the supporters expect this WUP to reach court? A. no

I’m feeling really uncomfortable with the clubs statement. It’s very similar to the ridiculous fans forum where they threw the toys out of the pram and rattled FKs cage. All it’s doing is driving a wider wedge between the club and landlord when it’s becoming blatantly clear the club have no plan B. Tiger wants to remain at the Kassam on reduced terms. Not paying the rent at the agreed time probably isn’t the best way to deal with an individual like FK..

The club are extremely naive to think 1 meeting with Kassam would resolve the service charge rent dispute. Surely this bill would need to be paid no matter what, in full and on time. It could take years of meetings to come to an agreement on the service charge.
Mmm years would suggest that there isn't much effort going into it!
Agree that it can't be done overnight though. And there has to be the will.

It does appear that this isn't about the rent/ service charge but inability to pay.

Kassam going straight to the press and cancelling meetings however is pretty typical of what we expect of him though.

I have said on here before that Kassam wants rid of the tenant so that he can start building houses straight away. If he can't do it this way he will have to pay the club to sever the lease early, hence why the club are already looking for a new ground site because they are expecting this. If you can get through the short term cash crisis the club is actually in a strong position knowing that Kassam will have to give the club a lot of money to get them to cancel the lease 4 or 5 years early.

I thought the process was that the debtor had to serve the creditor with a statutory notice to demand payment first, which gave the creditor 28 days to respond to this, dispute it or pay it and only after those 28 days had passed without resolution you could apply for a winding up petition? Unless there are long overdue amounts still unpaid this seems to be a bit quick for the latest rent day which only passed a few days ago?

Still doesn't excuse the club being in a ridiculous cash position, and just paying people would mean all of this wouldn't happen.

A bit of pressure on the Council to demand they stick to their own rules on behalf of their taxpayers re The Priory wouldn't go amiss. Kassam's new hotel should never have been allowed to open.

Mmm years would suggest that there isn't much effort going into it!
Agree that it can't be done overnight though. And there has to be the will.

It does appear that this isn't about the rent/ service charge but inability to pay.

Kassam going straight to the press and cancelling meetings however is pretty typical of what we expect of him though.
he ( Firoka owner)spoke to radox re: issuing the WUP earlier, which was broadcast at the start of todays 5 min FF .... Im sure the full comments will be on rad ox catchup?.... jist of what he said was 'there was a dateagreed for a payment to be made which was ignored, they should pay up & shut up- and the owner and board should sell the club to someone who can afford to pay the bills

^ not a direct quote word for word btw ... just notes I scrawled down when it was broadcast.

accept was late

hmrc up to date
he was paid last
can he address off field issues in stead of kr, says he is up front but comes with kr profile
compliance delays were known about but went over expected average time, has taught them a lesson and will transfer earlier
Again that ‘sustainably’ thing.. it would be nice to know how the club plans to achieve this. I don’t think ‘not paying wages and rent’ is a long term answer even if it is effective in the short term!

I thought the process was that the debtor had to serve the creditor with a statutory notice to demand payment first, which gave the creditor 28 days to respond to this, dispute it or pay it and only after those 28 days had passed without resolution you could apply for a winding up petition? Unless there are long overdue amounts still unpaid this seems to be a bit quick for the latest rent day which only passed a few days ago?
I believe that once a notice has been served, that covers all future payments due under the agreement, not just the late one. So if the club have previously been served such a notice (if it is actually required in this situation), I imagine the requirement has been complied with.

accept was late

hmrc up to date
he was paid last
But I was concerned when Jerome asked could this happen again/ could we go into admin, it was his less than definite response “ I don’t THINK “ so he doesn’t know really.

I have said on here before that Kassam wants rid of the tenant so that he can start building houses straight away. If he can't do it this way he will have to pay the club to sever the lease early, hence why the club are already looking for a new ground site because they are expecting this.
Does anyone know if they are actually spending any serious time or money on actually looking for a site? It started off at five plus the current ground and is now apparently three including the current ground. And nobody knows where they are, who is looking into these sites or when they expect to make some sort of decision.
If you were a cynic (I am in this case!) you might think the who thing was made up to try and get a rent reduction from Uncle K. But I am sure that can't be true...
I'd also like to hear from the reputed 'Finance Director' of the club - what the f++k is he actually doing?

Does anyone know if they are actually spending any serious time or money on actually looking for a site? It started off at five plus the current ground and is now apparently three including the current ground. And nobody knows where they are, who is looking into these sites or when they expect to make some sort of decision.
If you were a cynic (I am in this case!) you might think the who thing was made up to try and get a rent reduction from Uncle K. But I am sure that can't be true...
I'd also like to hear from the reputed 'Finance Director' of the club - what the f++k is he actually doing?
Wasn’t there an announcement from the club that they’d hired a planning consultant a couple of days after the fans forum? My feeling was the club was attempting a game of brinksmanship with FK. I think they need to learn quickly that FK doesn’t blink first, if at all. I think Tiger is desperate, he’s low on funds with an unsustainable club and stadium deal. There are no other options on the table so he’s panicking and trying to get more favourable terms. FK is smelling blood.

I’m on about things like cleaning the bird s**t of the seats and alike I know electric has to be paid and any other domestic bills but other things are being over looked.
I can’t see 300k is just for domestic bills.

I'd assume it will include Business rates as well but could be wrong.

Sounds like the club (well Niall McWilliams) chose to pay the staff instead of Kassam. There were not enough funds available to pay both.

Also interesting that Kassam said if the club can't afford it the owner should sell up and get someone who can.

Sounds like the club (well Niall McWilliams) chose to pay the staff instead of Kassam. There were not enough funds available to pay both.
If true it just shows how low the club has sunk in the past year. Pathetic.

Oh God.

a. A service charge doesn't change the rent FFS; it's a service charge.

b. Get the chronology sorted, we missed the payment, Firoka cancelled the meeting, we offered a new date, Firoka has gone schtum and I bet ehy won't reply till the payment is received.

c. Bleating on about "fair" is beside the point or a red hering - that's what the arbitration was for.

Not impressed.

Nail on head.

Club has failed to learn anything bar the art of disingenuous version of events.

Wasn’t there an announcement from the club that they’d hired a planning consultant a couple of days after the fans forum? My feeling was the club was attempting a game of brinksmanship with FK. I think they need to learn quickly that FK doesn’t blink first, if at all. I think Tiger is desperate, he’s low on funds with an unsustainable club and stadium deal. There are no other options on the table so he’s panicking and trying to get more favourable terms. FK is smelling blood.
FK never blinks IMO

Back
Top Bottom