Chairman Winding up order served by Kassam

A rather random reply to my post but hey ho.
At the time of the IL reign I was in your group, maybe not the inner circle but was fed the info to put on the forum to get your message across, so I was fully aware of that groups veiws first hand. I know how this works and you can actually make a difference if you put your efforts into a group such as Oxvox, I don’t believe that will happen because you would then not be able to post the stuff you want to.
As for the warnings about DE and Tiger, from the outside it looked like bitterness for the people you support not getting the club.
Yes, addressing the points in your post is definitely a "random reply". :rolleyes:

So, you're associating me with a group which was supposedly anti-IL? Well, that's news to me! By this "group" I assume you mean Sennett and Methven? One of whom was accused of being too close to the Lenegans whilst chair of OxVox, and the other acted as an advisor to the Lenegans. Clearly, they were rabidly anti-IL! And, for the record, I don't think I even met Sennett until around 2008-9, so how I was meant to be a part of this group, Lord knows!

You do hit on an interesting point though about not being able to post the stuff I want though. It's fairly apparent that in the not-too-distant-past, OxVox sacrificed a certain degree of its openness and independence to ensure a "relationship" with the club. For example, the Q&A with DE in July '17 was published with claims from DE which committee members knew to be false, but they were allowed to go unchallenged. We than have the total radio silence over the ST bid and takeover, despite the obvious (for those who cared to look) concerns over his potential stewardship.

There clearly is a balance which needs to be struck when trying to work in partnership with the club, but the question has to be asked: what's the point in having a relationship if the quid pro quo is that you can't challenge false claims, you can't pass on information to the members you are supposed to represent, and you effectively become a part of the club's PR machine. Recent events suggest that the current committee have taken a big step in the right direction with an apparently more robust approach being taken. I do wonder at what point they will stop waiting for answers to questions and start some form of protest over the way the club is run and how fans are being treated. There clearly has to be a threshold somewhere, and I'd be interested to learn where they think that lies.

That will work well won`t it? Why sub divide an already fractured fan base?
Better off using the time, resources etc in getting more folk to joining OxVox and giving them some clout rather than creating another group.
If they had 5,000+ members then they would have far more leverage.
Strength is in numbers not small disparate "groups".... hence one one of many reasons politics is in such a mess.
I tend to agree with this. The greater the numbers in any organisation, the stronger it can be. As the only recognised supporters group, however, I don't think that an increase in membership numbers would make much difference when they are the only ones seeking answers from the club. I would definitely urge as many fans as possible to join OxVox though.

as i said before £10 isn’t much and i’m going to sign up but it’s still an extra 10 to find and lots of people have to stretch their money as far as they can. would £4 a year maybe attract more people?

if approx 6,000 people are already largely ignored until their money is needed then being part of Oxvox or any other members group is never going to change the attitude of the custodians of the club whoever they may be at the time.

For many bar a few hardcore fans the on field product is the thing that will have them attending or not but as i've said previously you either think the owner and or manager are the right one's or you don't. opinions will differ and divide but other than deciding not to attend there is really nothing anyone can do and it's because of the attachment that most wont do that and this is why things will never change regardless of who pays the bills (or not)

i know it’s for 3 years but me personally every penny counts at the moment. i will be signing up though

I do not understand why more regular OUFC supporters don't join OxVox. There is nothing to lose - apart from a pittance of a membership fee - and plenty for the fans to gain from having a stronger supporters' trust.

Seriously, any fan who expects to be told about discussions between club and trust should be a member. In my opinion, if you don't join you have no right to be informed. I'd welcome a counter argument.

Our home support is averaging 6,350 this season. OxVox membership is just over 1,000. The disparity between these two figures will not go unnoticed by the upper echelons within the club. What message does it give? That most regular fans are not interested in OxVox and don't see the value of them?
Pete, I take your point that the bigger the membership the better it looks. But could you outline to me (as someone who would find attending meetings during the week difficult/impossible) exactly what would be the benefits of joining? I can get most of the important information (albeit a couple of days later) in this forum. Let me know - I genuinely do want to be persuaded.

Pete, I take your point that the bigger the membership the better it looks. But could you outline to me (as someone who would find attending meetings during the week difficult/impossible) exactly what would be the benefits of joining? I can get most of the important information (albeit a couple of days later) in this forum. Let me know - I genuinely do want to be persuaded.
that's why I suggested maybe having yearly subscription option. if people think why should I pay if I can get minutes a few days later on here and there not getting much benefit for the cost, then paying £3.50 or £4 a year may seem an attractive option. If you want better deal pay the £10 for 3 years and save a couple of quid. just an idea to perhaps increase the membership
I know it's not about the money but increasing numbers

But could you outline to me (as someone who would find attending meetings during the week difficult/impossible) exactly what would be the benefits of joining? I can get most of the important information (albeit a couple of days later) in this forum. Let me know - I genuinely do want to be persuaded.

You join your voice to other supporters' voices in influencing the club and communicating with it, plus you have the right to choose individuals who want to get deeply involved in the supporter view (i.e. committee members) and to have a say on how they relate to the club.

If you don't want to do those things, don't join. You can have your own group and give yourself a fancy title, it could be fun ?

I would look at things slightly differently. Rather than asking 'what's in it for me?' I'd ask 'how does it strengthen the voice(s) of the OUFC support?'

As a non-committee member, you don't need to attend any meetings. There is no impact on your personal time, unless you choose to attend AGMs or similar, which are usually on match days anyway. If the OxVox committee can go into meetings with OUFC management as the voice of 5,000, it's impact must surely be felt? That's 5,000 potential season ticket holders and club strip buyers. Management would understand the connection, and would not be able to deny that OxVox was representative of the general support.

The fact that all information is eventually available online for free shouldn't, in my opinion, impact on a decision to join. That's really not a reason to delay joining.
Yes, thanks; very fair comment.

Like it or not, I think we probably have to sit tight to see what April brings with regard to investment. Whether the team and management can keep us in League 1 this season is entirely another matter.

You join your voice to other supporters' voices in influencing the club and communicating with it, plus you have the right to choose individuals who want to get deeply involved in the supporter view (i.e. committee members) and to have a say on how they relate to the club.

If you don't want to do those things, don't join. You can have your own group and give yourself a fancy title, it could be fun ?
For a moment I thought you being helpful. But then your last sentence betrays you with unnecessary flippancy.

Membership of OXVOX is cheap so people either join or find another excuse to not back up their words with actions!

that's why I suggested maybe having yearly subscription option. if people think why should I pay if I can get minutes a few days later on here and there not getting much benefit for the cost, then paying £3.50 or £4 a year may seem an attractive option. If you want better deal pay the £10 for 3 years and save a couple of quid. just an idea to perhaps increase the membership
I know it's not about the money but increasing numbers

But then you have admin costs eating into fee each year so £10 for 3 years may be better value for the Trust as it strikes a balance. Also, the time taken to do the admin of chasing renewals each year by the relevant committee member/s I suspect is time consuming already which would increase, at a guess considerably.

Theres also an option to join oxvox as a life member too.. . Oxvox membership isnt 'just' for one specific chaiman yknow ;)

But then you have admin costs eating into fee each year so £10 for 3 years may be better value for the Trust as it strikes a balance. Also, the time taken to do the admin of chasing renewals each year by the relevant committee member/s I suspect is time consuming already which would increase, at a guess considerably.
yeah fair enough. just was a thought that more might sign up like that

Theres also an option to join oxvox as a life member too.. . Oxvox membership isnt 'just' for one specific chaiman yknow ;)
blimey i’m struggling to get a tenner together let alone 50 ?

Staffed by volunteers I would suggest "admin costs" are negligible.
Member signs up with a standing order, £5 a year or 3 years for £10.
In comparison to another organisation Im vice chair of that has 26,000 members, OxVox are very lean & efficient using email, social media etc. Communications are good, everything is open & transparent and there is opportunity for anyone to be elected if they dont like the current committee or direction of travel.

Back
Top Bottom