Will Grigg

Yep. Thought he was poor too. He looks a pesky Brett Pitman type player but played on his heels too much today to damage us.

He was crap today but will score loads at this level.

Not sure how many he'll get at Championship level though.

Perhaps he thought he'd be going to a side that would play him in, instead of Conference style hoofball. Genuinely surprised at the level of football they served up today.

Perhaps he thought he'd be going to a side that would play him in, instead of Conference style hoofball. Genuinely surprised at the level of football they served up today.
Sunderland have not played good attacking football in my view (unlike Wigan, Blackburn, Barnsley )
I can see how Grigg has failed in such an average team.
Having said that you would gave expected a lot more from a what £3m player?

Sunderland are pretty meh compared to Luton, Barnsley and last years promoted teams. Will Grigg is a hell of a player though, remember 0-7

January Business

Sunderland - Will Grigg - (upto) £4m plus signing on fee and fairly significant wages. 4 goals, 3 assists 324 minutes per goal.

Oxford - Jerome Sinclair - nominal loan fee (if at all) and subsidised wages. 4 goals, 3 assists 235 minutes per goal.

January Business

Sunderland - Will Grigg - (upto) £4m plus signing on fee and fairly significant wages. 4 goals, 3 assists 324 minutes per goal.

Oxford - Jerome Sinclair - nominal loan fee (if at all) and subsidised wages. 4 goals, 3 assists 235 minutes per goal.
Yes. He was clearly signed to take them up. The sale of Maja and signing of Grigg was a terrible move ( I understand that Maja was determined to leave)
I assume that Ross wanted Grigg. After today's substitutions and some of the transfer dealings. Particularly Grigg (£3m + is a huge transfer fee in L1), he must be under some pressure.

Yes. He was clearly signed to take them up. The sale of Maja and signing of Grigg was a terrible move ( I understand that Maja was determined to leave)
I assume that Ross wanted Grigg. After today's substitutions and some of the transfer dealings. Particularly Grigg (£3m + is a huge transfer fee in L1), he must be under some pressure.

There was a pretty strong rumour that Grigg was a boardroom signing rather than coming from Ross. But whoever was responsible that was without question a promotion or bust transfer deal that has gone wrong. He has 3 years left on his contract and will be on pretty big money. In addition they also have Wykes on decent wages for another 2 years and Cattermole still picking on PL wages until 2021. The wages on these 3 alone will dwarf some first 11's in league 1 next year and shows the massive financial mess Sunderland have got themselves in. With parachute paymnets dropping significnatly, and the likelihood of reduced revenue as the novelty of league 1 disappears, SD will be looking at needing huge further investment to give them any chance of competing at a similar level next season. The only consulation Sunderland will have is that the sides coming into league 1 from the championship and league 2 will be unlikely to challenge which means that they will still be a very big fish even if they considerably trim their budget.

There was a pretty strong rumour that Grigg was a boardroom signing rather than coming from Ross. But whoever was responsible that was without question a promotion or bust transfer deal that has gone wrong. He has 3 years left on his contract and will be on pretty big money. In addition they also have Wykes on decent wages for another 2 years and Cattermole still picking on PL wages until 2021. The wages on these 3 alone will dwarf some first 11's in league 1 next year and shows the massive financial mess Sunderland have got themselves in. With parachute paymnets dropping significnatly, and the likelihood of reduced revenue as the novelty of league 1 disappears, SD will be looking at needing huge further investment to give them any chance of competing at a similar level next season. The only consulation Sunderland will have is that the sides coming into league 1 from the championship and league 2 will be unlikely to challenge which means that they will still be a very big fish even if they considerably trim their budget.
I think Rotherham and Lincoln will both challenge next season. Would argue the league is weaker though than this season.

My top six, not in any particular order would be Sunderland, Portsmouth, Rotherham, Peterborough, Ipswich and Lincoln.

I think Rotherham and Lincoln will both challenge next season. Would argue the league is weaker though than this season.

My top six, not in any particular order would be Sunderland, Portsmouth, Rotherham, Peterborough, Ipswich and Lincoln.

Lincoln will depend on them keeping the Cowley brothers. And that isn't certain with rumours that they have fallen out with the boardroom over the budget.

The other rumour to this is they would want Gareth Ainsworth to replace them.

Sunderland are now in a real quandary. Their "extra investor" was sat next to SD yesterday. What he saw would not have been encouraging as OU would have given Charlton a harder game IMHO. The manager may well be a casualty over the next 24hours.

Sunderland play horrific football, I’ve not seen a side lack of so much pace for a long time, I can’t think of one player in the side with out and out pace. It’s all good having the experienced been there and done it players but look at their midfield. Cartrermole and Leadbitter and the least mobile CM pairing I’ve seen all season, as much as we all love CM he’s not got any pace and you’ve got a slow CF in Wyke. Grigg definitely needs to sort his ankle out over the summer and Sunderland need to get some players with energy and pace to reinvigorate their squad.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom