Wilder as footballing innovator?

derek

Interesting article about the Blades flowing football but perhaps more interesting because it doesn't mention Alan Knill or anyone else in the coaching staff. I'm not particularly anti-Wilder, he eventually did a job for us and I think he learnt a lot while managing us. I also think he left mainly because he didn't feel backed by the board, which is fair enough. But at the same time the football didn't exactly set the world alight and he never struck me as a football innovator, so I'm wondering where all this is coming from?

Last edited:
Probably because he played a style of football that was appropriate to the resources available to him.

It clearly worked in the lower divisions and now he has a much better quality of player at his disposal he is demonstrating other facets to his managerial abilities. I have quite enjoyed a few of their games on sky.

Love him or hate him, he is a good manager.

FWIW, I think he would have taken us much further had his relationship with the board not been so poor at the end.

Probably because he played a style of football that was appropriate to the resources available to him.
I wasn't that impressed by his ability to find good players, resources or none. Time and time again players who were the best thing since sliced bread were announced only to slip away quietly later.

All this anti Wilder stuff is nonsense.
He did a very good job for us.
I agree he probably should have moved on 12-18 months before he eventually did.
But people have very short memories.
We were heading for Conference South when he took over in December.
He turned an unfit, disorganised bunch into a very well-drilled and focussed team in a matter of weeks.
By the end of that season, we would have been in the play offs (and probably gone up) had we not been deducted three points (for fielding an unregistered player?- can’t remember)
His achievements at Northampton (especially) and Sheffield United have been outstanding.
And as for all this rubbish about how he is apparently not a very nice bloke, so what?
You employ a footballer manager to be successful.
I am sure Pep Clotet is a much better bloke than Wilder, but who would I rather have in charge of OUFC right now?

As I said at the start, I'm not anti-Wilder and I recognised he did a good job for us. I'll admit to being a bit meh-Wilder, not a rabid fan. But none of this is about our current manager.

Malcomsmoustache
"But people have very short memories,
We were heading for Conference South when he took over in December"

People certainly do have short memories.
Oxford had 30 points from 23 games when Wilder took over.
Pretty dismal,but knowhere near "heading for the Conference South"
Woking went down in 21st with 44 points.
I'm sure even the totally inept Darren Patterson,could have managed 15 points from 23 games.

He could win the Champions League with Sheffied United, but for me he's still, and always will be, a c**t.

A chippy ginger Yorkshire c**t.

On the other hand, I reckon he's less inept than Pep. I suppose that will be deniable when Philliskirk & Francis Green fail to return in January.

Like I said, we were heading for Conferebce South when Wilder took over. We'd won two of the previous six, which included 2-5 at Histon. After Wilder's first match (which we lost) we won six on the spin. Still never let facts get in the way if prejudice huh? Remind me again of the managerial success Patterson has had since he left OUFC.....

Success once he left doesn’t change the facts of when he was here either. Yes he did get us up (just) despite having a massive lead and the biggest budget. But then we stalled massively. The football became dull, the constant tinkering of new loan signings in jan. Transfer criteria , has he played for me before, has he had 1 good game against me . The chippyness. And the dam right rude an disrespectful way in which he left with out even a thank you to the fans that largely stood by him despite a pretty dire last couple of seasons. Great at raising a team to the big occasions, poor at using youth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clicks thread involving the word ‘Wilder’.

Reads thread.

Sees the same repetitive for-and-against arguments that have been done time and time again on here involving the same old posters.

Closes thread.

Stares blankly at the wall waiting for tomorrow’s match so we all have something new to talk about.

Fin.

Last edited:
I don't really care tbh
It was all so long ago
The arguments can be summed up as . .
He did a pretty good job for us
But he overstayed his welcome
He has done a great job at his next two clubs
He's apparently not the nicest bloke off the pitch
End of

He could win the Champions League with Sheffied United, but for me he's still, and always will be, a c**t.

Why???

He got us out of that poxy league remember, nobody is/was asking you to marry him lol, he’s proven he’s a decent manager love him or hate him, get over this anti Wilder rubbish, it’s becoming boring.

Why???

He got us out of that poxy league remember, nobody is/was asking you to marry him lol, he’s proven he’s a decent manager love him or hate him, get over this anti Wilder rubbish, it’s becoming boring.

Why? Because he disrespected our club, it's fans, and many of those who worked for the club at the time too. He outstayed his welcome by two or three years, drove fans away with his boring football, lied about applying for other jobs before sneaking out of the back door without having the decency to tell his employer face to face.

So he got us out of the Conference by the skin of our teeth, and nearly fucked that up. He then proceeded to fail to do anything else whatsoever while Oxford United manager. I couldn't give a toss what he's done since he's left, it doesn't suddenly turn him into a nice bloke.

You carry on your love in with him if you like, I'm not telling you what to do, you're entitled to your opinion. but guess what? I'm entitled to mine too, and just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it's "rubbish" and doesn't mean I'm not going to express it.

Don't like it? Don't read it.

I heard for a very good source at OUFC that Wilder wanted the glory of going up at Wembley and engineered it. He wasnt back by the OUFC board and was bitter about that. When he won promotion with NTFC he enjoyed calling the OUFC staff and drunkingly letting them know how happpy he was. Not a decent chap. Agreed. But. CW gets results.

Why? Because he disrespected our club, it's fans, and many of those who worked for the club at the time too. He outstayed his welcome by two or three years, drove fans away with his boring football, lied about applying for other jobs before sneaking out of the back door without having the decency to tell his employer face to face.

So he got us out of the Conference by the skin of our teeth, and nearly fucked that up. He then proceeded to fail to do anything else whatsoever while Oxford United manager. I couldn't give a toss what he's done since he's left, it doesn't suddenly turn him into a nice bloke.

You carry on your love in with him if you like, I'm not telling you what to do, you're entitled to your opinion. but guess what? I'm entitled to mine too, and just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it's "rubbish" and doesn't mean I'm not going to express it.

Don't like it? Don't read it.[/QUOTE

I heard for a very good source at OUFC that Wilder wanted the glory of going up at Wembley and engineered it. He wasnt back by the OUFC board and was bitter about that. When he won promotion with NTFC he enjoyed calling the OUFC staff and drunkingly letting them know how happpy he was. Not a decent chap. Agreed. But. CW gets results.
And football is an extremely ruthless business. To be a leading manager you need to be a "ruthless b******d". End of. Pep is too NICE.

And football is an extremely ruthless business. To be a leading manager you need to be a "ruthless b******d". End of. Pep is too NICE.

Michael Appleton proved that you can have success and good manners.

I think he's the better manager, some may disagree, which is fair enough as there's not much between them. What is undeniable though is that Michael is by far the better MAN, of that there can be no argument.