League One Wigan Athletic woes

believe they still have an interest in Robin Park Complex
I had a look at the last set of Wigan FC accounts and it says they have a 25 year licence on the DW Stadium from a fellow subsidiary of the parent company. Costs of stadium hire and match day expenses just over £1m a year.

That's not to say the DW family haven't kept an interest in other bits around Robin Park (I've no idea what's there).

I had a look at the last set of Wigan FC accounts and it says they have a 25 year licence on the DW Stadium from a fellow subsidiary of the parent company. Costs of stadium hire and match day expenses just over £1m a year.

That's not to say the DW family haven't kept an interest in other bits around Robin Park (I've no idea what's there).

theres a shopping centre and other 'outlets' ( including a dance studio) in the complex there at Robin Park

The EFL fit and proper can never guarantee a good outcome. Many companies can prove they have money but will they use it.
I just heard a well known sky sports presenter say Wigan were a well run football club during Dave Whelans ownership. In the normal business world a well run business is profitable, I suspect Wigan were never profitable. Perhaps we as fans should encourage our Clubs to change the EFL rules to stop Clubs from being allowed to run at a loss?
We run at a loss as does probably every club outside the Premiership.

How do you judge a successful Club? It could be argued that taking financial stability into account Newcastle is a well run club! Half way in the top league! Are Man City or Chelsea profitable?
A company run at a loss can be very useful to a company in the same group making profits. Football clubs make good washing machines. If you're a Sovereign State Investment Fund with more money than you know what to do with, you will have other agendas and whether you make a profit or a loss is a secondary consideration. No doubt many owners play fast and loose with the way they manage the asset. There may even be some that are in it for the beautiful game. Let's hope ours is.

Last edited:
It's currently wigan 7-0 hull at half time. And that's not a rugby league score!

Wigan beating Hull 8-0 and plenty of time left for more.

I hope the rumors were true and Wigan's new owner did have a massive bet on their relegation.

Because they're playing so well now, they seem likely to stay up even with the 12 point deduction.......

Wigan that is.....Hull look in big trouble. Basically a relegation playoff on Saturday against Luton. Loser gets to join us next year......

What's the deal if they finish 12 points or more above the relegation zone? Is the 12 points still applied this season or do they start next year on -12?

What's the deal if they finish 12 points or more above the relegation zone? Is the 12 points still applied this season or do they start next year on -12?
The sanction will be applied at the end of this season if the Latics, 14th in the Championship, finish outside the bottom three after 46 games.

So if they 'survive', their owner loses his alleged massive bet on their relegation and whilst his balls are being wedged into a vice by the boys enforcing payments of his debt, his team start next season on -12. All going well then.

I wonder if the Wigan youth team might be the starting XI on Saturday.

So if they 'survive', their owner loses his alleged massive bet on their relegation and whilst his balls are being wedged into a vice by the boys enforcing payments of his debt, his team start next season on -12. All going well then.

I wonder if the Wigan youth team might be the starting XI on Saturday.

No - or at least no on the -12 front. The vice/balls/youth team bit may well be true!
The deduction will definitely now be applied this season - so if they finish more than twelve points above the relegation zone, they're in the Championship next year; if it's less than twelve points above the relegation zone, they're in League One. But either way they'll be starting on zero with the rest of us.

The only way the deduction could have been held over to next season is if Wigan completely tanked and finished in the bottom three this season without applying the -12. They've done the opposite so that mathematically can't happen now.

Back
Top Bottom