League One Wigan Athletic woes

Another wonderful performance by the EFL fit and proper test given they were taken over just 4 weeks ago...

‘Wigan's executive chairman Darren Royal said the new owners "will enable" the club to "negate some of the immediate" financial challenges of the coronavirus pandemic.’

Why would this make any sense? Why would you purchase a club knowing you’re not going to be able to generate any revenue from it for the foreseeable, and then go into administration immediately? All a bit baffling.

‘Wigan's executive chairman Darren Royal said the new owners "will enable" the club to "negate some of the immediate" financial challenges of the coronavirus pandemic.’

Why would this make any sense? Why would you purchase a club knowing you’re not going to be able to generate any revenue from it for the foreseeable, and then go into administration immediately? All a bit baffling.

The new owners are pretty much the same people as the old owners. Especially if this is to believed:

Oh, and expect Bolton to have a thread like this in a few years as they just spent £250k on Barrow's management team (all upfront if I read correctly). Yet couldn't pay their bills not so long ago and are under a transfer embargo. Utter madness on top of all the income lost through Coronavirus.

Oh, and expect Bolton to have a thread like this in a few years as they just spent £250k on Barrow's management team (all upfront if I read correctly). Yet couldn't pay their bills not so long ago and are under a transfer embargo. Utter madness on top of all the income lost through Coronavirus.
Haven’t Bolton got to replay their loan buy the end of next season? 20 million I believe.

The new owners are pretty much the same people as the old owners. Especially if this is to believed:

What a mess.

The EFL fit and proper can never guarantee a good outcome. Many companies can prove they have money but will they use it.
I just heard a well known sky sports presenter say Wigan were a well run football club during Dave Whelans ownership. In the normal business world a well run business is profitable, I suspect Wigan were never profitable. Perhaps we as fans should encourage our Clubs to change the EFL rules to stop Clubs from being allowed to run at a loss?

The EFL fit and proper can never guarantee a good outcome. Many companies can prove they have money but will they use it.
I just heard a well known sky sports presenter say Wigan were a well run football club during Dave Whelans ownership. In the normal business world a well run business is profitable, I suspect Wigan were never profitable. Perhaps we as fans should encourage our Clubs to change the EFL rules to stop Clubs from being allowed to run at a loss?

Nearly all EFL clubs run at a loss.

Every time regulation is suggested, the proposals get so watered down that you end up with something like the EFL Financial Fair Play regulations which have not controlled the problem.

There is also the frequent declaration that "you have to speculate to accumulate" as clubs look for a quick fix to their league position.

In Germany didn't they used to have a similar rule? Possibly not now. We perhaps need to judge a clubs success based on there profitability as well.

Seems very unfair - I assume most of the clubs in L1/L2 and a lot of the Ch clubs could technically go into administration especially if the new season start is delayed and there may be many more similar happenings in the closed season. If there is, then surely the "final" league placings should be retrospectively revised. So sick too that this happens whilst the EFL pot is swelling by £100m+ per year - just money they are taking which could have gone to clubs and instead is being taken out of the game. EFL are not fit for purpose with their dilly dallying and they should surely be culpable when THEIR "fit and proper test" backfires. Football needs to consolidate and get rid of them and have an organisation looking after lower leagues made up of a representative/vote from each club. The lowest team in the premiership get more in TV revenue than ALL OTHER LEAGUES combined. Why have the EFL not stood up against this to protect "grass roots" and what "value" do the EFL offer for the millions they skim off?

I'm still not convinced the EFL management is the problem, the problem is not enough clubs prioritize the need to make a profit. If the EFL management proposed water tight fit and proper ownership rules the club's would reject them.

If this is accurate (haven't a clue on the source) then there may be a lot more in this. Could the Serious Fraud Squad end up getting involved?
Came here about to post this but you've beaten me to it! Absolutely extraordinary. Suspect that even if serious fraud is found it will be too late for Wigan Athletic Football Club. I'm normally one to be cautious in criticising the EFL, particularly in their governance of ownership matters, but it is simply absurd that they sanctioned such a takeover.

If this is accurate (haven't a clue on the source) then there may be a lot more in this. Could the Serious Fraud Squad end up getting involved?
Apparently the MP for Wigan is Lias Nandy and she has called for an investigation as barely a month after new owners they are placed in Adminstration and wants an investigation how the owners were found to be fit and proper. Also an all edged tape done Secretly heating Rick Parry something about a bet that Wigan would be relegated. All dodgy stuff if true about Parry then he has to be charged and if found guilty he would have to go to Prison.
then will the Government lead an enquiry into the EPL and the EFL.

Apparently the MP for Wigan is Lias Nandy and she has called for an investigation as barely a month after new owners they are placed in Adminstration and wants an investigation how the owners were found to be fit and proper. Also an all edged tape done Secretly heating Rick Parry something about a bet that Wigan would be relegated. All dodgy stuff if true about Parry then he has to be charged and if found guilty he would have to go to Prison.
then will the Government lead an enquiry into the EPL and the EFL.

Rick Parry has confirmed the tape is authentic iirc but has said it was part of a wider discussion.

Genuine question for all: Legally what can the Football League actually do?

Seems very unfair - I assume most of the clubs in L1/L2 and a lot of the Ch clubs could technically go into administration especially if the new season start is delayed and there may be many more similar happenings in the closed season. If there is, then surely the "final" league placings should be retrospectively revised. So sick too that this happens whilst the EFL pot is swelling by £100m+ per year - just money they are taking which could have gone to clubs and instead is being taken out of the game. EFL are not fit for purpose with their dilly dallying and they should surely be culpable when THEIR "fit and proper test" backfires. Football needs to consolidate and get rid of them and have an organisation looking after lower leagues made up of a representative/vote from each club. The lowest team in the premiership get more in TV revenue than ALL OTHER LEAGUES combined. Why have the EFL not stood up against this to protect "grass roots" and what "value" do the EFL offer for the millions they skim off?

The EFL is basically a members club. The are not an independent competition organization, the rules that are in place are as a result of votes of the membership. The current owners are not going to be turkeys voting for Christmas in terms of rules with real control over finances. What is known as the fit and proper test is so watered down because if it is what it should be it would preclude quite a number of current owners, and that makes it hard to implement if those are the people voting on it.

Back
Top Bottom