Whyte to Forest

Honestly, it would be crazy to sell him at this point! He has another year left on his deal, he's only a season into his pro career, he's loved by the fans, he's establishing himself at international level and he will be instrumental in getting us promoted; opposed to being a potential bit-part player at Forest. Even 7mil wouldn't be enough for me because the financial reward of going up, is far beyond that figure.

"Each Championship team will get a basic £2.3m plus a £4.5m solidarity payment" - Thats before the TV benefits, as seen below...

"Championship clubs also get paid around four times as much as League 1 teams for hosting TV games on Sky Sports. The facility fee is £100,000 for Friday night and Saturday games, £120,000 for a Sunday game and £140,000 for a Thursday"

If we are serious about progressing as a club, we cannot just bend over and cough when clubs like Forest prepare what is, quite frankly, a pathetic bid for one of our best prospects.

Last edited:
Honestly, it would be crazy to sell him at this point! He has another year left on his deal, he's only a season into his pro career, he's loved by the fans, he's establishing himself at international level and he will be instrumental in getting us promoted; opposed to being a potential bit-part player at Forest. Even 7mil wouldn't be enough for me because the financial reward of going up, is far beyond that at figure.

"Each Championship team will get a basic £2.3m plus a £4.5m solidarity payment" - Thats before the TV benefits, as seen below...

"Championship clubs also get paid around four times as much as League 1 teams for hosting TV games on Sky Sports. The facility fee is £100,000 for Friday night and Saturday games, £120,000 for a Sunday game and £140,000 for a Thursday"

If we are serious about progressing as a club, we cannot just bend over and cough when clubs like Forest prepare what is, quite frankly, a pathetic bid for one of our best prospects.
He has two more years left. Signed a three year contract!!

Good interview with Whyte here on how not going to Leeds last season worked out for the best.

And how he helped us sign Sykes.

Honestly, it would be crazy to sell him at this point! He has another year left on his deal, he's only a season into his pro career, he's loved by the fans, he's establishing himself at international level and he will be instrumental in getting us promoted; opposed to being a potential bit-part player at Forest. Even 7mil wouldn't be enough for me because the financial reward of going up, is far beyond figure.

What he said

The really shite thing about selling Whyte for me is, some of the money will go to his previous club (quite rightly so) but, when you think of it...........the rest will be used up to pay Ka-Ka-Curse-him for a year's rent. Big f*****g deal! Who are we going to get to replace him? Another Irish gem, or McGinty and his bloody goat? Who's going to invest decent money into the club, who's on the board? Don't tell me..........they are going to rely on season ticket sales only. Please someone tell me I'm wrong.

The really shite thing about selling Whyte for me is, some of the money will go to his previous club (quite rightly so) but, when you think of it...........the rest will be used up to pay Ka-Ka-Curse-him for a year's rent. Big f*****g deal! Who are we going to get to replace him? Another Irish gem, or McGinty and his bloody goat? Who's going to invest decent money into the club, who's on the board? Don't tell me..........they are going to rely on season ticket sales only. Please someone tell me I'm wrong.

His previous club will pocket around £600k from a 3mil sale and that's before the other incentive clauses that are rumoured to be agreed within his initial deal. It's a completely counter productive idea to sell him, for any amount of money - at this point, at least. Like you said, money will be used to pay off some of the clubs overheads and other areas in which we are currently in arrears. Based on his current form, he isn't going to be easy to replace. I don't think anyone as promising as him is within our reach, to justify selling. However, there are a lot of good players in the Irish league and some have been mentioned on here, over the last few weeks and months. Again, that is a big gamble when we already know how good Gavin is.

If you have wealthy owners that are serious about investing in the club, the first thing you do is retain your best assets. I am going to assume, until shown otherwise that that is currently case with Oxford United. If we sold Whyte for such a low fee, I'm sure the state of financial panic within the fans would be quite massive...

A real statement of intent from the board would be to offer Nelson 10k a week on a 2 year deal and see if that twists his arm. Secondly, turn down every single bid for Whyte, that comes our way.

Not. For. Sale!

His previous club will pocket around £600k from a 3mil sale and that's before the other incentive clauses that are rumoured to be agreed within his initial deal. It's a completely counter productive idea to sell him, for any amount of money - at this point, at least. Like you said, money will be used to pay off some of the clubs overheads and other areas in which we are currently in arrears. Based on his current form, he isn't going to be easy to replace. I don't think anyone as promising as him is within our reach, to justify selling. However, there are a lot of good players in the Irish league and some have been mentioned on here, over the last few weeks and months. Again, that is a big gamble when we already know how good Gavin is.

If you have wealthy owners that are serious about investing in the club, the first thing you do is retain your best assets. I am going to assume, until shown otherwise that that is currently case with Oxford United. If we sold Whyte for such a low fee, I'm sure the state of financial panic within the fans would be quite massive...

A real statement of intent from the board would be to offer Nelson 10k a week on a 2 year deal and see if that twists his arm. Secondly, turn down every single bid for Whyte, that comes our way.

Not. For. Sale!

You are having a laugh
1. To put him on 10k
2. Only a 2 year deal aswell

That sort of wages would have massive impact on future transfers we bring demanding more than we actually afford & current players who we would look to give new contracts in the future will see CN as an example to demand over the top wages

Not realistic, we have a wage structure I don’t know full figures on what every Oxford players get paid but I imagine our top earners are on 3-4K a week, I don’t think we should be offering more than over 5k max unless we manage to get into the championship

What's to stop us offering Whyte an improved contract for an extra year with a 'you can talk to anyone who offers over 6m' clause? That would seem to make sense for us and him.

I do think it would be a mistake for him to leave for a bit-part role in the Championship at this point.

As for Nelson, I hope we've made him the best offer that fits the club's pay structure, for 3 years. If he goes he goes, best of luck to him.

This is when the bigger teams flex their muscles with peanuts in their hand and the poor smaller boys have to bend over - a strange period so many players move around. Look at Luton going up and now losing their stars for 7.5m - lot of money in L1 but they have to be replaced. We have seen Roofe and CoD values go sky high since they left. Great "risk trade" for BC/Leeds. 5-1 ROI. We have done it twice, like only a fool does. Three times not, surely. The premiums need to be much higher than £2m for NF - still 2.5X if we sell at 4 and he resells at 10 at some stage in his career. We cannot raise hogs and sell them at the cost of feed. We also need to make a statement that we really really really .....really (?) don't need the cash, but think these stakes might quickly get to £4m + + (bespoke agreement : it needs all to be upfront) and Tiger might just then decide to avoid any more WUP and take the cash, and have reassuring Karl, with a smile on his face like a 14 year old scally after his first blag, beaming that we made £4m profit in less than a year and that will be the warchest for higher quality acquisitions on the way to promotion....... honest :) He will go eventually. But don't sell the exotic cheaply to footballs fine diners. Incidentally, would you swap Whyte for Browne? Right now? Just hypothetical but interested - think GW would suit WHU

Last edited:

OK, I'll make the counter-argument......

When we talk about wealthy owners 'investing' in the club, what we actually mean - in 95%+ of all cases - is wealthy owners loaning the club money. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't imagine this group of rich businessman, with no particular links to Oxford, being philanthropic and writing off any money they put into the club. It'll all go on OUFC's balance sheet.

So if OUFC continue to lose 2-3m or more every season, then OUFC is going to go further and further into debt.
And the day that those owners decide that they no longer want to continue to fund such losses, is the day that we potentially find ourselves in the sort of mess that Bolton or Bury are in now. The sort of mess we've been in before which enabled Kassam to come in and pick the club apart.

Every player is an asset, and therefore every player has a certain value.
Now, estimating that value is tough - how many places up the table will Whyte take us vs. any free agent replacement we might bring in? And how much money are those places worth in terms of prize money/extra gates? Is he is the sole difference between having a promotion side and not, in which case his value obviously spikes hugely?

So I don't know exactly what he's worth. But I do know that if we got 4m+, that would probably enable us to slightly increase our wage bill and turn a profit this season.
And that's certainly a good thing.

OK, I'll make the counter-argument......

When we talk about wealthy owners 'investing' in the club, what we actually mean - in 95%+ of all cases - is wealthy owners loaning the club money. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't imagine this group of rich businessman, with no particular links to Oxford, being philanthropic and writing off any money they put into the club. It'll all go on OUFC's balance sheet.

So if OUFC continue to lose 2-3m or more every season, then OUFC is going to go further and further into debt.
And the day that those owners decide that they no longer want to continue to fund such losses, is the day that we potentially find ourselves in the sort of mess that Bolton or Bury are in now. The sort of mess we've been in before which enabled Kassam to come in and pick the club apart.

Every player is an asset, and therefore every player has a certain value.
Now, estimating that value is tough - how many places up the table will Whyte take us vs. any free agent replacement we might bring in? And how much money are those places worth in terms of prize money/extra gates? Is he is the sole difference between having a promotion side and not, in which case his value obviously spikes hugely?

So I don't know exactly what he's worth. But I do know that if we got 4m+, that would probably enable us to slightly increase our wage bill and turn a profit this season.
And that's certainly a good thing.
It would be if you were content never to progress to the Championship and beyond. If, as Tiger has stated, the immediate aim is the Championship then selling the players who could get you there won't cut it. Undoubtedly Gavin Whyte will go on to bigger things eventually but to sell him at this time when we are told there is no need to would show to me that the stated ambition is disingenuous.

It would be if you were content never to progress to the Championship and beyond. If, as Tiger has stated, the immediate aim is the Championship then selling the players who could get you there won't cut it. Undoubtedly Gavin Whyte will go on to bigger things eventually but to sell him at this time when we are told there is no need to would show to me that the stated ambition is disingenuous.

But here's the thing - if we want to genuinely compete in the Championship as it is today i.e. have a wage bill that's maybe mid-table to give us a fighting chance then forget about losing 2-3m a season. We'll be losing 20m a season. We'll be putting our club at serious, serious risk.

To be able to compete at that level sustainably - we need to own our own ground, and we need it to be bigger & better. That is where the club's medium term ambitions need to lie and that is where progress has to be made.

I know it isn't exciting or sexy, but the financial health of OUFC is crucially important. And personally, I would rather we didn't continue to wrack up an extra 2-3m quid of debt every season while making absolutely zero progress on finding a stadium situation that will enable our club to grow. And if the likes of Gavin Whyte have to be periodically sold to enable us to break even whilst remaining competitive in what is a fun League One, then so be it.

And if KR does a sensational job, and we keep most of the current squad together and recruit well, then maybe we can still get promoted into the Championship. We'll struggle there with our revenues and cost base - as the likes of Rotherham and Millwall have done - but it'd be a lot of fun trying.

But here's the thing - if we want to genuinely compete in the Championship as it is today i.e. have a wage bill that's maybe mid-table to give us a fighting chance then forget about losing 2-3m a season. We'll be losing 20m a season. We'll be putting our club at serious, serious risk.

To be able to compete at that level sustainably - we need to own our own ground, and we need it to be bigger & better. That is where the club's medium term ambitions need to lie and that is where progress has to be made.

I know it isn't exciting or sexy, but the financial health of OUFC is crucially important. And personally, I would rather we didn't continue to wrack up an extra 2-3m quid of debt every season while making absolutely zero progress on finding a stadium situation that will enable our club to grow. And if the likes of Gavin Whyte have to be periodically sold to enable us to break even whilst remaining competitive in what is a fun League One, then so be it.

And if KR does a sensational job, and we keep most of the current squad together and recruit well, then maybe we can still get promoted into the Championship. We'll struggle there with our revenues and cost base - as the likes of Rotherham and Millwall have done - but it'd be a lot of fun trying.
Well said, it’s about being fun while remaining sustainable. I don’t mind sticking in League 1 for now as long we are competitive and turn over the big boys once in a while

Whyte should be feeling quite at home at this venue...

57b03ffa3a08f6717da820e50f6a89be.jpg

He's now a starting full international.
Think our chances of keeping him for next season are now close to 0%. A true shame, but that's life!

He's now a starting full international.

If someone doesn't bid £5m+ for him, he's here next season.

I personally hope he bags a hat-trick.

I don't want him to go, but if he is going to then we need to get the best possible money for him. Starting a competitive international can only help that. Score a few young man and bump up that price!

Back
Top Bottom