National News Who ya gonna trade with?

Our "medication bill" (much of which is absorbed by the NHS) is eye watering.
Unfortunately we are too reliant on the prescription of relatively cheap drugs in high volumes.
If there was a cut off line that GP`s could implement then folk could just have to go and buy them from the chemist.
Second most prescribed drug in 2018 (33.9 million prescriptions) was Aspirin....... that is £9 on a prescription (if you pay for them!)
You can buy them from Tesco..................... 16 tablets for 36p !!

A good point EY - we, collectively, seem to demand 'pills' as an answer all too readily. Anyone who actually is daft enough to pay for a prescription of aspirin is (in my rather uncharitable mind!) paying a 'stupid' tax! ;)

A good point EY - we, collectively, seem to demand 'pills' as an answer all too readily. Anyone who actually is daft enough to pay for a prescription of aspirin is (in my rather uncharitable mind!) paying a 'stupid' tax! ;)
Perhaps everyone who receives NHS treatment and care should be given an itemised breakdown of what their care actually costs...starting with those scraped up from the pavement by Ambulance crews after overdoing it on a Friday/Saturday night.:unsure:

Perhaps everyone who receives NHS treatment and care should be given an itemised breakdown of what their care actually costs...starting with those scraped up from the pavement by Ambulance crews after overdoing it on a Friday/Saturday night.:unsure:

My bill (not for overdoing it on a Friday/Saturday I hasten to add) would be bloody long. :(

I`m all for that. (y) (y)

I'm all for it just for the line telling me how much it cost them to itemise the cost of my care and send the letter.

I'm all for it just for the line telling me how much it cost them to itemise the cost of my care and send the letter.

Could be included as part of the discharge letter and could be generated from average costs so would be indicative rather than exact. So no extra cost as the system could be set up to generate it based on number of days as an inpatient or what you were in A&E for.

I've already seen indicative costs incurred if you miss an outpatients appointment in a reminder text from the Oxford hospitals.

Michael Gove would have struck a trade deal with Colombia I believe, I'm sure Boris has dabbled in their exports as well

Lock her up? When talking about Hilary Clinton? To be fair, he didn't lock her up, so it was an idle threat wasn't it?

Lock her up? When talking about Hilary Clinton? To be fair, he didn't lock her up, so it was an idle threat wasn't it?
Ah, so it's OK to threaten someone as long as you don't actually do anything in the end?
That law must have been amended...

And no, I suspect QR and everyone else without a bizarre 'forgive him everything' agenda was thinking of something rather darker.

He didn't have and doesn't have the power to lock her up, he doesn't have the power to send them back, either, as powers are separated under the U.S. constitution. So it was never a threat of any kind.

What it was, in both cases, is an incitement and a slur. To dislike of Clinton and to discredit her, and to hate 'people of colour' and to allege they're not really Americans so can be ignored.

Spot on ZeroTheHero. Step by step it’s becoming all too reminiscent.

It’s not the whole thing but this was quite an interesting interview with Chris Southworth (Secretary General of the ICC). He was actually pretty balanced throughout attempting avoid being dragged into ‘project fear’.

It’s not the whole thing but this was quite an interesting interview with Chris Southworth (Secretary General of the ICC). He was actually pretty balanced throughout attempting avoid being dragged into ‘project fear’.

Well that's a real concern, one that I'd hope everyone would read about and at least accept as a potential negative about 'just leaving and operating under WTO terms'.

It will, of course, be described as scaremongering or even 'fake news'. You, for having the audacity to report it, will be a gutless snowflake who doesn't understand that Brexit will be a re-awakening of the Empire. Remember, 'everything will be alright ....'

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/james-obrian-speaks-to-gatt-24-expert/ Little bit more here from this 'Remoaner' ;-)

How would they write that into a trade deal, though?

The fact that the UK pays less for pharmaceuticals is a direct result of the supply & demand dynamics of a single buyer healthcare system.
The pharma companies don't have to sell to the NHS; but it's their only real route into the UK market so all the power for price setting is at the hands of the NHS

Removing tariffs and trade barriers isn't going to change that.

I guess they could insist on removal of regulations such as the prohibitions on promoting prescription-only medication to the public? In which case you guys can look forward to a whole string of terrible adverts before and after any show that has an aging audience...…..
it will be written into the trade deal that the current situation where there is a body that decides which drugs the NHS can use and what they pay for them is scrapped, it will then be open for US companies to sell down to clinician level as happens in the US.

Ah, so it's OK to threaten someone as long as you don't actually do anything in the end?
That law must have been amended...

And no, I suspect QR and everyone else without a bizarre 'forgive him everything' agenda was thinking of something rather darker.
Not really, no. It was a cheap sound bite that he than backed away from when he got elected.

There is plenty of murk around the Clinton Foundation, but if you threaten it as such, follow through. Or don't do it. Let's not forget the whole Russia impeachment thing or the Russian prostitute thing, etc etc.

The UK would be the only country to trade on WTO terms on day one, because we've been prohibited from negotiating and completing trade deals for after Brexit.

Not really, no. It was a cheap sound bite that he than backed away from when he got elected.
Aaargh. No. It’s a cheap trick. He says something that he hopes will (a) appeal to his base (b) not completely antagonise the moderate right wing and (c) will antagonise his opponents. Depending on how it pans out (eg if it is only Tomi Lauren that likes it, or maybe Fox think he’s gone too far) and then decides whether to (a) push it forward as policy (“I said I was going to ...”) or (b) pretend it was a cheap joke “Of course I wasn’t serious, come on guys”). It comes from the first chapter of the despot’s playbook and is so transparent it makes me want to cry!

Back
Top Bottom