Who will win the world cup?

As a left back/wing back... Damn. He started at Man U in desperation and did ok for a period. Just not good enough for an international team when Bertrand is at home. Jones is always injured as is Welbeck. With Welbeck, who else is there? Abraham isn't ready, Austin is always injured and Walcott isn't a striker. The cupboard is bereft outside of Kane and Vardy. And despressingly so.

I'd take Callum Wilson over Welbeck. Both have injury issues, but I'd take an internationally unproven striker in form over a proven international flop.

Ashley Young has quite a few genuine plaudits for his play this year, one of the few standouts in a dour United team. I agree I'd prefer Bertrand in the team, but not annoyed with the inclusion of Young as I am by some of the others.

Certainly looks like very little composure on the ball in the central midfield.

Sorry, but there are many more factors that influence the quality of the national team than that ridiculous competition. Conflating the two (Checkatrade and international success) is just an illogical leap. And as Beyondthefourth rightly says, most of us fans who actually go to games all over the country every Saturday in the season are much more interested in the football we go to watch than something we will sit on the sofa for once every four years.
Not me. His only game in charge, he was asked how he was going to deal with 'the Rooney situation' (back when that was a major thing, where on earth do we play this ageing genius?), he pretty much said "Rooney knows where he plays best, I'm just going to put him on the pitch and let him work it out himself".

No wonder he was thinking of going to DC to escape Allardyce!
Common sense mate.

With Welbeck, who else is there? Abraham isn't ready, Austin is always injured and Walcott isn't a striker. The cupboard is bereft outside of Kane and Vardy. And despressingly so.

True - but having said that, I'd have thought it's highly likely that we're going to play a variant on either 3-4-3 or 4-3-3, with Stirling and one of Rashford/Lingard/Loftus-Cheek playing either side of Harry Kane, and Alli in behind him.

Vardy is there as cover for Kane, or to come on and allow us to push two up front if we're behind and chasing it.

Welbeck is not much more likely than Nicky Pope to actually play a significant role in this competition.

Brazil or Germany. I’ll go with Brazil.

I'd like England to win obviously, but don't see that happening. So my only hopes for the tournament are: it's entertaining on the pitch and trouble-free off the pitch. Sadly I can't see past a World Cup in Russia without violence, though I genuinely hope my fears are misguided. Fingers crossed.

True - but having said that, I'd have thought it's highly likely that we're going to play a variant on either 3-4-3 or 4-3-3, with Stirling and one of Rashford/Lingard/Loftus-Cheek playing either side of Harry Kane, and Alli in behind him.

Vardy is there as cover for Kane, or to come on and allow us to push two up front if we're behind and chasing it.

Welbeck is not much more likely than Nicky Pope to actually play a significant role in this competition.
The reliance is on Kane staying fit. If Sterling didn't need a million chances to score, I'd be less worried, but it feels like we're a physical presence light in midfield and up top - RLC can do that, but it's harsh to rely on him.

Any team that loses the equivalent of Kane is screwed though, do Argentina, Portugual and Brazil have replacements for Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar? We have a few problems but in a maximum 7 game tournament having one of the worlds best forwards isn’t one of them, let’s be honest if he is fit the other forwards are going to make up the numbers.

It’s the defence that’s the big worry, the lack of creativity in centre mid can be worked around tactically but you can’t help but look at our centre half’s and not think we are going to be vulnerable up against the better sides.

I cant believe livermore has got in ahead of lallana on the subs list.I think vardy might surprise a few defences.Cant believe nobody has picked Belgium they have some top players

I'd take Callum Wilson over Welbeck. Both have injury issues, but I'd take an internationally unproven striker in form over a proven international flop.

Ashley Young has quite a few genuine plaudits for his play this year, one of the few standouts in a dour United team. I agree I'd prefer Bertrand in the team, but not annoyed with the inclusion of Young as I am by some of the others.

Certainly looks like very little composure on the ball in the central midfield.

...or creativity.

Good point about Welbeck- he has flopped for England and has only scored 5 goals this season
so somebody like Callum Wilson is a good shout. I would not have taken Young either!

One of : Germany, Brazil . France

Wish it wasn’t so predictable. Dark horse er difficult... Denmark ?

England? On the right tracks - like the fact there are no stars and we play counter attack football. Reckon we can get to quarter finals.

Where we will lose to the Germans. On penalties.

After last night's cup final and watching Griezman again, I vote for Belgium.

World cups are damn expensive for Scotland fans, having to buy the shirts of the teams England are due to play :D

• React
Reactions: m
For those of you who are going, here's how to cop off with the lasses.

Unfortunately for Argentina they used up all their bribes getting there so it'll be Brasil as usual. As it's (surely) maestro Tabarez' last world cup I'm going for la Celeste to make the semis before they go out in the traditional disgrace.

Back
Top Bottom