General Who should start in central midfield?

Which 3 players should play in central midfield?

• McGuane

• Brannigan

• Gorrin

• Henry

• Kane

• Sykes

Results are only viewable after voting.

IsleofWightYellow

Karl Robinson always seems to build lopsided squads but one area we seem stacked in now is central midfield. We’ve got some top class central midfielders and a few who can play there as well as out wide.

My question is, now everyone is pretty much fit and in form, what’s the starting three?

Not sure it's quite as easy as that. Gorrin, Brannagan, Kane, Henry and McGuane will all rotate through the 3 central positions.

I wonder if Hanson would be a good sweeper
I’ve got a lots of leafs fallen outside my house that condo with sweeping up

• React
Reactions: MJB
Well it's not really the time of the year to be washing cars like Kelly and Grayson did last season. Let's give Hanson triggers broom and tell him to crack on.
Good idea hopefully he don’t trip anybody else up

Karl Robinson always seems to build lopsided squads but one area we seem stacked in now is central midfield. We’ve got some top class central midfielders and a few who can play there as well as out wide.

My question is, now everyone is pretty much fit and in form, what’s the starting three?
McGuane was very good today.
We do have some very good midfield players.
It will depend on fitness. I am not sure who you leave out but McGuane seems to offer something different and if fit is a physical CM

Branagan is the only certain starter though I’d generally try to find a place for Henry because of his involvement in so many goals. McGuane and Kane are promising and Gorrin has a place in many games though I get fed up with all the free kicks he gives away. Not Sykes, he gives the ball away too much in the middle.

Branagan is the only certain starter though I’d generally try to find a place for Henry because of his involvement in so many goals. McGuane and Kane are promising and Gorrin has a place in many games though I get fed up with all the free kicks he gives away. Not Sykes, he gives the ball away too much in the middle.
Agree about Brannagan.

McGuane has looked good in his last two appearances and gives the midfield a bit of drive and power. I'd like to see him starting more often than not.

Kane I've been disappointed with... and have missed the two games where he apparently did well.

When Henry plays well, we usually play well, but he does have a tendency to have quite a few off days too.

Gorrin, we know what we get, and is the best option for covering defensively.

Yeah Brannagan plays in any starting 11 you name.

Best on paper is probably
McGuane - Kane - Brannagan

Henry's goal contributions from midfield are great for League 1 so will definitely be in the mix, and Gorrin is about when we need more bite.
Sykes should carry on in the wide attacking midfielder role.
Forde I feel sorry for, but CM is only a role he'll get in the B team.
Feel really sorry for Hanson, but maybe he's conference standard.

Not sure it's quite as easy as that. Gorrin, Brannagan, Kane, Henry and McGuane will all rotate through the 3 central positions.

Agree they will rotate but i have yet to be convinced that Gorrin and Kane can play together, for me these 2
can rotate the CDM position and Brannagan, Henry and Mcguane get to fight it out for the other 2 spots.

I reckon against the weaker sides, especially at home, it's Kane at the base, Brannagan, and then either McGuane or Henry
(then we can play Henry on the right, although it's tough to leave out Sykes right now when he's finally added some end product to his game)

Against the better sides, I want the extra defensive capabilities of Gorrin at the base, plus Cam, and then it's an embarassement of riches for that third spot! Whichever of Kane/McGuane/Henry you pick, you're leaving out two quality League One players.

You’ve always got to play Kane and Brannagan together surely. Whatever the opposition.

Henry needs to be brought on as sub in the tougher games a la Sheff Wed.

The dream trio for me is Brann, Kane and McGuane.

Obvs that means missing out on Henry...but it is what it is. I wish we could pick all 4, but there you go.

Too many factors - who is fit, who is on multiple cards, who we are playing, how they play.......... can`t we just sneak them all on and hope nobody notices? 15 v 11 will reap its benefits. :)

I agree with @tonyw that Gorrin should start in the games where we need some defensive structure. He's limited in what he does with the ball, but in terms of defensive responsibility he is second to none in our current squad. When defending, you could draw a triangle from where he is in relation to the two centre backs and it would rarely look wonky.

Against the weaker sides then I don't think there is much need for him. I'd enjoy seeing Kane, Brannagan and McGuane, with Henry wide right and Sykes on the left. Sykes has shown his ability of the left and is far more effective there than Whyte. Whyte hasn't really got going on the right either it has to be said. Henry is a class act though and I'd always want him in the team somewhere, so would be happy to see him out there.

Why don't we go full Man City and just play all of them in the 3 midfield and 3 forward positions. We are Oxelona after all!

I really think we need either Gorrin or Kane as the defensive midfielder (and I think we *do* need one, even against 'weaker' teams as it adds a solid base from which to build).

Then perm any two from Henry, Brannagan, McGuane and Kane (if it's not him further back) depending on form etc. Sykes seems more effective playing slightly wider - he had his fullback panicking in the early stages yesterday.

I agree with @tonyw that Gorrin should start in the games where we need some defensive structure. He's limited in what he does with the ball, but in terms of defensive responsibility he is second to none in our current squad. When defending, you could draw a triangle from where he is in relation to the two centre backs and it would rarely look wonky.

Against the weaker sides then I don't think there is much need for him. I'd enjoy seeing Kane, Brannagan and McGuane, with Henry wide right and Sykes on the left. Sykes has shown his ability of the left and is far more effective there than Whyte. Whyte hasn't really got going on the right either it has to be said. Henry is a class act though and I'd always want him in the team somewhere, so would be happy to see him out there.
I kind of wonder about that lineup too. Its odd that we've got about 6 wingers but the most effective wide players this season so far have been midfielders.