EFL Where were they then?

Robie

I wondered if anyone recalls watching players against Oxford United perform terribly and then go on to big things.

I remember watching a young Kasper Schmeichel between the sticks at Bury and he was appalling.

I remember seeing a very young Robbie Keane start alongside Steve Bull for Wolves in 1997, a few weeks after he made his professional debut. Think it was only his third or fourth game. He couldn’t hit a cow’s a**e with a banjo. In the second half he had a shot from 20 yards that was sliced so far wide that it ended up closer to the corner flag than the goal. He might have only been 17, but he was hopeless.

He did alright in the end.

I remember seeing a very young Robbie Keane start alongside Steve Bull for Wolves in 1997, a few weeks after he made his professional debut. Think it was only his third or fourth game. He couldn’t hit a cow’s a**e with a banjo. In the second half he had a shot from 20 yards that was sliced so far wide that it ended up closer to the corner flag than the goal. He might have only been 17, but he was hopeless.

He did alright in the end.

Was that the Joey masterclass game?

Was that the Joey masterclass game?
It was. He got a brace but could’ve easily had the match ball. For the first goal he ran from inside his own half, but then he did that all the time. Bobby Ford got the other.

I remember it was on TV as my mum dropped me and my dad off and then watched most of the game at home. Meant she was able to time her return to pick us up to perfection. She used to wait for us by Brookside, down by the White Horse, in case you were wondering. Which I know you were.

John Terry debut for Chelski against us?

Don't think many rated Sam Ricketts when with us or elsewhere

Not perform terribly, but Mark Hughes scored his first professional goal against us in the 1-1 League Cup draw in 1983, may have been his debut as well.

Not perform terribly, but Mark Hughes scored his first professional goal against us in the 1-1 League Cup draw in 1983, may have been his debut as well.
followed by "disagreement" between Tank and Nick Harris about how good the goal was

I assume Jamie Vardy played against us for Fleetwood at least once, but don’t recall him
I don’t think he did. Our first game at their place saw Jamille Matt make his debut against us, when we conceded a fluke as a clearance rebounded off Matt over Brown. They had spent £300000 on Matt.

I’m sure I saw Jermain Defoe play against us for Bournemouth. Think he was pretty good as I remember it, scored?
I think that goal was a record for number if goals in consecutive games. Something like 10 games in a row.

I remember seeing Defoe score 2 against us for Bournemouth. I also remember seeing Steve Bruce play in an end of season game against us for Birmingham when the Birmingham fan climbed up the flood light by the away end and osler road! I’m not sure Steve Bruce ever made it out of the centre circle that game.

I remember seeing C Ronaldo at the kassam in 2006!he wasn’t much good 😁 turned out quite a reasonable player in the end tho

Ha of course with Jim Smith upset that we boo'ed him!
He did get some stick that night tho but he still put on a show quite nice to know that one of the best players ever has played at the kassam against little Oxford lol

Back
Top Bottom