Where we'll end up...12th

Jon-ioualways

We're currently in 19th after 35 games. However, we're really doing that poorly thanks to the first five to 10 games of the season. Looking at the form table of our last 30 games, we're in 16th place, last 25 games in 11th, last 20 games in 9th, last 15 games in 14th, last 1o games in 12th, and last 5 games in 11th. Over the last 20 games our form has been good enough for anywhere between 14th and 9th. Given that we have games coming up against some of the worst teams in the division, but 9th and 10th spots look out of reach, it seems reasonable to say that 12th place will be ours, with a chance at 11th.

And considering what a terrible season this has been, that'll be a pretty reasonable place to end up.

We’re literally the exact opposite of last year. Which, coming into this stage of the season, is a positive for me.

I would rather keep the relegation battle mentality that has got us back to back wins than start thinking about mid table, just over half the league could go down at the moment and I have a feeling that the final relegation spot will go to a club who think they are just about safe and try to play pretty football.

Although the first twelve games obviously put us down here and we have improved since then, we still have enough of that team playing to suggest that another bad run could happen if we get complacent.

We're currently in 19th after 35 games. However, we're really doing that poorly thanks to the first five to 10 games of the season. Looking at the form table of our last 30 games, we're in 16th place, last 25 games in 11th, last 20 games in 9th, last 15 games in 14th, last 1o games in 12th, and last 5 games in 11th. Over the last 20 games our form has been good enough for anywhere between 14th and 9th. Given that we have games coming up against some of the worst teams in the division, but 9th and 10th spots look out of reach, it seems reasonable to say that 12th place will be ours, with a chance at 11th.

And considering what a terrible season this has been, that'll be a pretty reasonable place to end up.
.... if we do reach 12th place come the end of this season... I'll take the nose bleed that accompanies reaching dizzying heights, and with good grace :sneaky: too

I would rather keep the relegation battle mentality that has got us back to back wins than start thinking about mid table, just over half the league could go down at the moment and I have a feeling that the final relegation spot will go to a club who think they are just about safe and try to play pretty football.

Although the first twelve games obviously put us down here and we have improved since then, we still have enough of that team playing to suggest that another bad run could happen if we get complacent.

Indeed. It only takes one bad injury in an area where we don't have adequate cover (GK or Defence especially), and the confidence drains again.

I like the form we're in and the direction we're headed. But then so were a few teams several weeks ago. This has been a crazy season for most teams in the bottom half of the league.

Just shows the impact that those injuries at the start of the season (and subsequently) have had on us.

Now, with good options on the bench, a settled team growing in belief and a calmer, more stable manager, 12th place may not be the Shangri-La we expected, but we can at least glimpse it on the horizon.....

For me the only teams are safe are the ones In top 10. We are 5 points of 11th place. IF we beat Gillingham and Rochdale, we could be in the top half. Crazy!

I’ve only just realised that Gillingham got pegged back at the death yesterday! That must’ve hurt..

Wimbledon, Bradford, Rochale and a n other for the drop in my view. Wouldn't be surprised if that was Walsall as they have some awful fixtures coming up in the next few weeks, or Blackpool if they get the points deduction.

Looking over the next 4 league games, Walsall have Fleetwood, Portsmouth, Sunderland and Barnsley. I see that as 4 straight defeats keeping them on 39 points.

Bristol Rovers could beat Sunderland in the Checkatrade this week and be looking to Wembley instead of their league games to Scunthorpe, Gillingham, Charlton and Plymouth in the same period. Either way, I'd give them 4/5 points taking them to 41/42 points.

In the same time we have Gillingham, Rochdale, Bradford and Coventry and reckon we could be looking at 8 points with DWWD. That will put us on 47 points, potentially 8 ahead of 21st place and 5/6 points ahead of 20th. I think that will be plenty good enough and it won't matter if that leave us 19th or 11th in my opinion as long as we have a healthy buffer between us and the drop.

That said, I'm going with a final placement 14th this season, and Champions by Christmas for the 2019/20 season!!

It’s always a hard thing to judge but it has looked quite a poor league this season, haven’t seen a good team yet and most look a bit crap (us included) so the bottom half being so tight is not so surprising.

Weakest league since we came back up for me, it’s good in one way but it makes that dreadful start annoying, no real excuse to get 5 points from 12 games in this league.

For me the only teams are safe are the ones In top 10. We are 5 points of 11th place. IF we beat Gillingham and Rochdale, we could be in the top half. Crazy!

Blackpool won't be safe if they get a 12 points deduction which we'll find out soon* as they'll be below us. Likewise Coventry aren't safe unless they can confirm a ground for next season, although that will be out of the Football League rather than just L1.

*The Football League should give them the 12 points deduction under the rules but as this is an organisation headed by Shaun Harvey who knows?!

Personally I would be happy right now if we finished 20th on goal difference.
I get where you are coming from but I wouldn't.
I want us to do what we should in the next few winnable games and Have a good run in preparation for next season.
We now have a decent squad and need to keep winning games

I get where you are coming from but I wouldn't.
I want us to do what we should in the next few winnable games and Have a good run in preparation for next season.
We now have a decent squad and need to keep winning games

Exactly. Safety is safety, but don't think that prospective transfer targets won't be checking the league table in the summer when deciding which L1 club would be best to go to...

Back
Top Bottom