General What is the worst town in England?

Worst town and area i have ever seen is in Scotland. Kilmarnock its the pits!
It's such a non-place. The Aylesbury of Scotland you could say. Feck all in either apart from the prison.

All those central Scottish places are pretty hideous too: Cumbernauld, Coatbridge, Airdrie etc
Have been to Cumbernauld 4 or 5 times and if you stay away from that awful shopping centre and close to the 'old' part, it's no less dreadful than some areas of the Shire. Lovely views of the Campsies too.

It's such a non-place. The Aylesbury of Scotland you could say. Feck all in either apart from the prison.

Have been to Cumbernauld 4 or 5 times and if you stay away from that awful shopping centre and close to the 'old' part, it's no less dreadful than some areas of the Shire. Lovely views of the Campsies too.
If this thread was a worst town in the UK I assume a Welsh former mining town or a Scottish wasteland town would win with ease. Somewhere like Merthyr Tydfil or Coatbridge.

If this thread was a worst town in the UK I assume a Welsh former mining town or a Scottish wasteland town would win with ease. Somewhere like Merthyr Tydfil or Coatbridge.

Strike my previous answer - Camborne. I'd forgotten Camborne.

It was like walking through the movie set of Billy Elliot.

Strike my previous answer - Camborne. I'd forgotten Camborne.

It was like walking through the movie set of Billy Elliot.
Camborne in Cornwall? I've never been to Camborne specifically but would assume most towns in Cornwall are OK and have access to nice rural areas/beaches. Parts of Newquay and Redruth I've been to aren't great but there's worse towns out there (I'm looking at you Gillingham)

Camborne in Cornwall? I've never been to Camborne specifically but would assume most towns in Cornwall are OK and have access to nice rural areas/beaches. Parts of Newquay and Redruth I've been to aren't great but there's worse towns out there (I'm looking at you Gillingham)
I have been to Camborne and Redruth which are inland former mining towns. I read an article recently which said some kids there had never been to the beach even though it was only a few miles away

Didcot is harmless, it's not meant to be good. Several of my colleagues live there and they've liked it well enough though I'm sure they'll move when they can afford to.
According to the original list it's the 11th worst town in England. Does seem harsh but I have no way of judging as I've never been. The very fact it's fairly well connected to London and Oxford saves it from the Workington-esque sh*thole vibe surely.

Didcot is harmless, it's not meant to be good. Several of my colleagues live there and they've liked it well enough though I'm sure they'll move when they can afford to.

It's a lot nicer now than when I lived there in the early 90s.

Is it the worst town in Oxfordshire?
Unfortunately I would probably say so, I can't think of a worse town in the county. It does have some benefits though, like a train station, cinema and, err...

Though it has to be said that most of the counties towns and especially villages are very nice, and even the 'worst' places aren't that bad, relatively speaking.

Unfortunately I would probably say so, I can't think of a worse town in the county. It does have some benefits though, like a train station, cinema and, err...

Though it has to be said that most of the counties towns and especially villages are very nice, and even the 'worst' places aren't that bad, relatively speaking.
What is the worst town in Oxon? I'd say Cowley Centre, that uniquely depressing arcade, if it was a town.

All completely subjective and dependant on criteria but Didcot is not the worst town in Oxfordshire these days, never mind 11th in the country. Lots of regeneration investment, 40minutes on the rattler to London and transport links to anywhere, nice surrounding villages, easy access to ridgeway, very high employment, new shopping centre, cinema, arts centre. Desperately needs a proper decent pub and doesn't have much in the way of old cultural stuff but neither do lots of places.

Ive been to hundreds of shitter towns than Didcot, mainly in the areas where the economy/employment is sadly struggling, your ex-mining towns, northern industrial revolution towns, towns in and around Birmingham like Wolverhampton/West Bromwich. Towns where the focal point of the town is a 60s shopping centre with 99% pound shops.

Back
Top Bottom