What if playoffs cannot be played?

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
Hey

Not sure if I read in a previous EFL statement that there would need to be a contingency plan should a situation arise meaning the Playoffs could not be played?

So what if, for safety reasons they cannot be played? Do they go back to another final table standing?

Unless there was a serious outbreak involving any of the clubs involved then I'm sure the playoffs will still happen.

This should have, (but obviously won’t have been) agreed before the vote.

I can’t in that scenario see any circumstance other than the Football League promoting Division 3’s 8th best team (at best).

In the first EFL statement in May they did refer to this possibility but said that if this happened they would have go away and think about it. I can't see that they could do anything else but to promote Wycombe. Now that they have set the precedent of using unweighted PPG I suspect we are stuck with it forever.

In the first EFL statement in May they did refer to this possibility but said that if this happened they would have go away and think about it. I can't see that they could do anything else but to promote Wycombe. Now that they have set the precedent of using unweighted PPG I suspect we are stuck with it forever.
Another argument for using weighted PPG. If the play-offs cant be completed then the three promoted teams would have been the teams in the top three positions when the league was ended. Now we've potentially got the ridiculous scenario of a team down in eighth place and going backwards getting promoted. Total farce.

If a few play off matches behind closed doors can’t be played what exactly would Wycombe be promoted into? That would mean no chance would the championship and premier league be able to be completed let alone start a whole new season.

If the playoffs can’t be completed, I would put forward the argument that the means of getting promoted can’t be done and therefore should be voided. Just Coventry and Rotherham should go up with two coming down from the Championship.

I’d normally argue for third place going up in those circumstances but since the authorities have used unweighted PPG and thrown an eighth place also ran into the promotion mix, they’ve made the playoffs into a bit of a joke.

Think the games will go ahead regardless. Norwich and Tottenham are setting a precedent, the Norwich player that tested positive played Friday night v Spurs. Spurs aren’t self isolating anyone as no sustained contact occurred with their players.

I really hope they go ahead... If they’re called off then starting next season is surely going to be hard

Australian Rugby League (NRL) are allowing restricted crowds up to a maximum of 40k back from Round 8 according to an announcement on their match coverage today.

Australian Rugby League (NRL) are allowing restricted crowds up to a maximum of 40k back from Round 8 according to an announcement on their match coverage today.

Only one of the 16 teams draws anywhere close to 40K...for all the other clubs 15K is blockbusting. Today's news was that a 10K crowd would be permitted in a 40K stadium to permit adequate distancing, from Round 8, which will be significant to most clubs.

Different matter in the other code...there already was a 2K attendance in the South Australian 'showdown' over the weekend although God only knows why...it's as boring as sin.

And the increased solidarity payment which I think is c4.5 million..
If you get promoted to the Championship and come straight back down without over investing, it’s a financial windfall. We could make enough from a single season there to not have to sell a player for two years to cover the club’s operating losses, as well as having a really competitive budget for the first season back in L1 to have a good go at bouncing straight back up.

The argument for Championship football somehow being harmful is based on reckless and illogical spending, not the principle of promotion itself. Which an insane amount of people seem to have totally missed while declaring it something they don’t want in recent months.

Maybe a financial windfall but in other ways it wouldn't be good for any League 1 club to be promoted only to be the whipping boys in the Championship - more difficult to attract players in future, fall in confidence in players, manager, owners etc.

I can't see any club's fans accepting that. Human nature is to be short sighted. If you get promoted, the aim has to be to be competitive next season which means investing. The challenge is to do that without overspending.

If you get promoted to the Championship and come straight back down without over investing, it’s a financial windfall. We could make enough from a single season there to not have to sell a player for two years to cover the club’s operating losses, as well as having a really competitive budget for the first season back in L1 to have a good go at bouncing straight back up.

The argument for Championship football somehow being harmful is based on reckless and illogical spending, not the principle of promotion itself. Which an insane amount of people seem to have totally missed while declaring it something they don’t want in recent months.

Best post I’ve seen on here in months.

Promotion is only a good thing, it’s a way of transitioning into being a bigger club, as long as you handle it sensibly

If you looked to the good old days of the 70s we were a competitive div 2 club, pretty settled team with a few good players, longish term manager with reasonable crowds, So if we could achieve any of those it would be a great help,so if did get promoted I am sure we would find it hard, but I feel we could survive on the field, not flourish, at least we would have tried our best

Back
Top Bottom