What Have You Been Watching Lately? (No Spoilers)

I thought it, and The Mandalorian, were both utter tosh (despite being a huge Star Wars fan). I'm obviously out of step with the vocal fan boys on this though, Grogu is the worst character in SW since Jar Jar Binks.

More optimistic about Obi Wan, will definitely be waching it.
spin off series' ( Mandalorian x2 and Book of Bobba Fett- the latter despite the mid series 'wobble') thus far have in the main been watchable (IMO), without being good ( never mind better than good)..... heard a rumour that Benedict Cumberbatch may be appearing as Grand Admiral Thrawn in the 3rd series of The Mandalorian .... another ( speculative) rumour is Samual L Jackson may be reprising his role as Mace Windu in a forthcoming spin off series.... possibly Ahsoka? .... Hayden Christensen has already been confirmed as reprising his role as Anakin Skywalker , probably in both Obi Wan and Ahsoka - who was his padawan ( in the clone wars cartoon series')

spin off series' ( Mandalorian x2 and Book of Bobba Fett- the latter despite the mid series 'wobble') thus far have in the main been watchable (IMO), without being good ( never mind better than good)..... heard a rumour that Benedict Cumberbatch may be appearing as Grand Admiral Thrawn in the 3rd series of The Mandalorian .... another ( speculative) rumour is Samual L Jackson may be reprising his role as Mace Windu in a forthcoming spin off series.... possibly Ahsoka? .... Hayden Christensen has already been confirmed as reprising his role as Anakin Skywalker , probably in both Obi Wan and Ahsoka - who was his padawan ( in the clone wars cartoon series')

I'm with you - I've found the Mandalorian to be decent, if not great.
It's insistence on episodic storytelling in the streaming age where everything is serialized and plot-driven has been a bit of a throwback, and rather refreshing. It's reminded me of watching all the Sci Fi shows of the 70s and 80s on BBC2 at 6pm when I was a kid! Not very deep, not particularly intelligent but just some escapist fun.

Book of Boba Fett was worse. Tried to flesh out a character that really didn't need fleshing out any more - and the stakes just felt so low. Do we really care who controls the criminal underworld on some backwater planet? Didn't really care that much about the characters, and the more interesting episodes were the ones later in the season that didn't even include Boba Fett!

Still, when it comes down to it - with the possible exception of Rogue One, there hasn't actually been anything genuinely good released with the Star Wars label since 1983 (and some people would argue 1980!). Though I haven't watched much of the cartoons, that I know some people swear are awesome.

Maybe Obi Wan will reverse the trend. Though I won't be holding my breath......

I'm with you - I've found the Mandalorian to be decent, if not great.
It's insistence on episodic storytelling in the streaming age where everything is serialized and plot-driven has been a bit of a throwback, and rather refreshing. It's reminded me of watching all the Sci Fi shows of the 70s and 80s on BBC2 at 6pm when I was a kid! Not very deep, not particularly intelligent but just some escapist fun.

Book of Boba Fett was worse. Tried to flesh out a character that really didn't need fleshing out any more - and the stakes just felt so low. Do we really care who controls the criminal underworld on some backwater planet? Didn't really care that much about the characters, and the more interesting episodes were the ones later in the season that didn't even include Boba Fett!

Still, when it comes down to it - with the possible exception of Rogue One, there hasn't actually been anything genuinely good released with the Star Wars label since 1983 (and some people would argue 1980!). Though I haven't watched much of the cartoons, that I know some people swear are awesome.

Maybe Obi Wan will reverse the trend. Though I won't be holding my breath......
Ive not seen the cartoons (yet) ... my youngest lad , whos a bit of a star wars buff, really rates them

Ahsoka first appeared in them , his favorite SW character, - on the strength of initially the cartoons, even more so in the Mandalorian and Book of Bobba Fett( in an episode that , as you said, didn't include Babba Fett at all

Watch first two over the weekend. Interesting plot but b movie acting. The main character's slight resemblance to John Terry is off putting.
You need to watch it to the end, worth it

For something a little more left-field, give 'Clark' on Netflix a go. It's a Swedish series based on the true story of Clark Olofsson, a wild and eccentric career criminal for who ego was the main driver, rather than money or power.

The programme is chaotic, moves at breakneck speed and seems frankly implausible, although we are assured most of the actual events and characterisations are true. Oh, the term 'Stockholm Syndrome' was first used in the media to describe the relationship he formed with hostages in a bank robbery.

Severance is the best TV I've seen this year so far. Slow Horses is also up there.

They're both on the Apple TV service, and while there's not a huge amount in their catalogue, but what's there is really really good. Worth getting the trial and tearing through it all.

"Reacher" - Amazon Prime video....................... you know what you are going to get and it is rather enjoyable.

Severance is the best TV I've seen this year so far. Slow Horses is also up there.

They're both on the Apple TV service, and while there's not a huge amount in their catalogue, but what's there is really really good. Worth getting the trial and tearing through it all.
we watched The Dropout on Apple, that was pretty stunning despite involving Stephen Fry

We watched 'Pistol' on Disney+, about the Sex Pistols. No idea how accurate it was, and I know Johnny Rotten hated it, but quite enjoyed it.

Just started the first season of that, I've read a few of the books so will be interesting how the series stacks up to what is in my mind.

Stacks up well early on which is helped by good casting (especially the chap playing Bosch whose name I always forget). I've got to catch up on the later series yet.

We watched 'Pistol' on Disney+, about the Sex Pistols. No idea how accurate it was, and I know Johnny Rotten hated it, but quite enjoyed it.
I believe it's based on Steve Jones's biography. I was looking forward to it but am finding it a bit excruciating to be honest.

Just belatedly watched In Bruges. Loved it.

Back
Top Bottom