National News Shamima Begum

Democracy you say ?;)

I see the Govt conveniently leaked her role in the ISIS fun police at a handy time. If true, hardly the misguided teen she makes herself about to nor someone who didn't know what they were doing. Rather, someone who is trying to minimise their role in abject torture and misery to get "home".

Democracy you say ?;)

I see the Govt conveniently leaked her role in the ISIS fun police at a handy time. If true, hardly the misguided teen she makes herself about to nor someone who didn't know what they were doing. Rather, someone who is trying to minimise their role in abject torture and misery to get "home".

Then she comes back and faces the law as the Govt is clearly confident it has evidence. So yes it is democracy and the rule of law.

Then she comes back and faces the law as the Govt is clearly confident it has evidence. So yes it is democracy and the rule of law.
And that it is. But the technicality is whether she is infact a UK citizen at all - if the Govt are correct, they have followed their democratic right to remove citizenship.

Big kettle of fish!

And that it is. But the technicality is whether she is infact a UK citizen at all - if the Govt are correct, they have followed their democratic right to remove citizenship.

Big kettle of fish!

Which is why she has legal aid as she has the right to due process.

Which is why she has legal aid as she has the right to due process.
Oh yeah, but I guess for me the fact that so many other worthy or more worthy people struggle for Legal Aid, it's annoying someone who knowingly went to join a terrorist caliphate and willingly participated in the misery can get it. Her reported role just makes it worse - and it's fair to say after having to spend 100 million on monitoring Assange in the Embassy, I really don't want the public to have to fund Jiihadis, and other sorts of terrorists, when it goes wrong.

yeah let's give her a house while we're at it. and the poor little lamb will need some money and change of name to protect her.
what happens if she decides she doesn't like our western democracy and commits a terrorist attack

Oh yeah, but I guess for me the fact that so many other worthy or more worthy people struggle for Legal Aid, it's annoying someone who knowingly went to join a terrorist caliphate and willingly participated in the misery can get it. Her reported role just makes it worse - and it's fair to say after having to spend 100 million on monitoring Assange in the Embassy, I really don't want the public to have to fund Jiihadis, and other sorts of terrorists, when it goes wrong.

Again, this is one of the basic democratic tenets - that rights and benefits should be available for all. That prevents (should prevent) people being denied rights or benefits because of their political persuasion, sexual orientation, colour of their skin or religious beliefs. The whole point is that nobody (and no body) should have the ability to deny basic rights like citizenship or legal aid (without due process) otherwise we end up tolerating a society where political opponents are detained without trial (Bahrain), homosexuals are threatened with stoning (Brunei), Uighurs are put into concentration camps and punished for speaking their language (China) or Yazidis are murdered because they don't believe the Book.

You won't get to judge who is 'worthy' in a properly functioning liberal democracy, and there won't be punitive austerity that prevents there being enough money to fund a working legal aid system.

I really hate the idea of her getting public money to pursue this, but think she ought to be able to.

If she has had her citizenship revoked then she surely isnt entitled to legal aid??? if she does manage to wangle her way back i sincerely hope she is arrested fully investigated and if found to be involved in torture murder etc she should get 40 years minimum

If she has had her citizenship revoked then she surely isnt entitled to legal aid??? if she does manage to wangle her way back i sincerely hope she is arrested fully investigated and if found to be involved in torture murder etc she should get 40 years minimum

She is challenging the revocation of her citizenship which is why she is entitled to legal aid.

BUT.....if its been revoked then she is NOT a British citizen is she??? only British citizens can claim legal aid

BUT.....if its been revoked then she is NOT a British citizen is she??? only British citizens can claim legal aid
That’s not true. Anyone who meets the criteria can apply for legal aid in the UK. For instance, those seeking asylum and fighting a repatriation order.

No mention of citizenship is made in the eligibility test.

Last edited by a moderator:
The legal system and adherence to it has everything to do with democracy.

The right of the individual to chose what they wish to do surely supersedes that?

When she left she chose to turn her back on democracy & justice in pursuit of a hideous medieval ideology.

She was a member of the Hisba and the Telegraph & Independent report:

"Members of our group from Raqqa knew her well,” said Aghiad al-Kheder, an activist from Deir ez-Zor who founded an anti-Isis collective that published information about Isis crimes from sources on the ground. The hisba metes out punishment to those found flouting Isis laws on how to dress and behave. "

She doesn`t deserve a safety net just because her team "lost".