What do we know?

Yellowfellow - what these naughty people are suggesting is that Tiger is just a guy who likes football, wanted more involvement after Reading & found a club that he could just about manage to buy. with no great plan. Darryl, once he had decided to sell, wanted the best return he could get so it was in his interests to paint the rosiest picture possible to Tiger (& gloss over the nasty bits)
Of course, you can say "where's the evidence for this? - prove it or shut up"
BUT it's a football forum FFS.
Wild unsubstantiated opinion is what it's all about.

And on that basis, my wild opinion is that this scenario fits the known (so far) facts better than any other.

Yellowfellow - what these naughty people are suggesting is that Tiger is just a guy who likes football, wanted more involvement after Reading & found a club that he could just about manage to buy. with no great plan. Darryl, once he had decided to sell, wanted the best return he could get so it was in his interests to paint the rosiest picture possible to Tiger (& gloss over the nasty bits)
Of course, you can say "where's the evidence for this? - prove it or shut up"
BUT it's a football forum FFS.
Wild unsubstantiated opinion is what it's all about.

And on that basis, my wild opinion is that this scenario fits the known (so far) facts better than any other.
Thanks - that is an explanation. It assumes Tiger is stupid, of course, but he may well be I suppose!

Why do you say "BUT it's a football forum FFS."? I don't think I suggested it wasn't or that anyone shouldn't have opinions or voice them, did I? I'm just trying to get to the bottom of why people are so upset with the current situation. Or why it is any worse than the last 8 or 9 months.

I'm not saying it isn't, or shouldn't be, upsetting, by the way. Change often is frightening.

Just to add... if your explanation is correct, then Tiger is stupid and Eales is the real villain?

With no assets to strip, is there an ulterior motive? maybe, only maybe mind, the kit cleaning and ironing department might have a bit more added to their workload ?

moneylaundering-580x358.jpg

(NOTE- to all the pseudo libel lawyers inhabiting YF - this is intended as a mildly humorous posting on a football fans forum);)

Yes - though of course, that's quite a big IF - admitted

It means that Tiger is keener on football than financial analysis - strange but not impossible
And it means that Darryl's (no villian) interests diverged from OUFC's in the last year

Yes - though of course, that's quite a big IF - admitted

It means that Tiger is keener on football than financial analysis - strange but not impossible
And it means that Darryl's (no villian) interests diverged from OUFC's in the last year
If Darryl's interests have no longer aligned with OUFC's over the last year, should we be more or less upset/worried about the current situation than we have been over the last period of his reign? Of course very few people think the current situation is brilliant (myself included), but I'd be interested in opinions on this - yours and anyone else's...

Interesting question - I don't have an answer but I too would be keen to hear what the wise people on here think

I don't think anyone can do that calculation. Mr Eales' interest waned and he's now found the buyer he wanted, but still holds an interest in OUFC. One must assume Tiger has an interest in OUFC or he wouldn't have bought us, but no-one seems to have worked out what that interest is, beyond some vague feeling that 'he likes football'.

I'm not keen on how project Eales panned out and I'm just uncertain about where project Tiger is heading. So difficult to assess how relatively concerned we should be.

PS This is just waffle. It's what we're all restricted to in the absence of facts.
DE certainly appears to have a genuine interest in OUFC, shares and outstanding £4.2m heading for Ensco apart, as he was at CPF the other night for the Oxford Senior cup semi -final match.

I don't think anyone can do that calculation. Mr Eales' interest waned and he's now found the buyer he wanted, but still holds an interest in OUFC. One must assume Tiger has an interest in OUFC or he wouldn't have bought us, but no-one seems to have worked out what that interest is, beyond some vague feeling that 'he likes football'.

I'm not keen on how project Eales panned out and I'm just uncertain about where project Tiger is heading. So difficult to assess how relatively concerned we should be.

PS This is just waffle. It's what we're all restricted to in the absence of facts.
DE certainly appears to have a genuine interest in OUFC, shares and outstanding £4.2m heading for Ensco apart, as he was at CPF the other night for the Oxford Senior cup semi -final match.

That was just to check on his bar profits

I hear you. You enjoyed some of Project Eales though I guess? I certainly did and I'm a lot happier now than I was when he first took over! It is uncertain, but at least it gives us something to talk about...

Sums it up well, Pete. DE's plan was to invest 10 million into OUFC and get us to the Championship, where he could sell us for 20 million. This plan was never secret: and Ashton told me that that was how he sold the 'project' to DE.
This time last year - at about 8 million down and with his personal financial circumstances changing - he realised that getting to the Championship was less rather more likely. He started tightening the purse strings - to MApp's discomfort and displeasure - and started considering how to make the best of an unfinished job. Hence the discussion with Sartori and Donald.
At the same time, he was aware of the value of some of the players. This irked him in the negotiations with Sartori, as he felt that he could make more or less what he was being offered by JS/AD simply by flogging our best players.
However, there was a risk in that. Tell Sartori to get lost, take in the cash from stripping the assets and then be landed with still running the club (and losing 150k a month) and not finding a new bidder.
Fortunately (for DE) fate intervened. A week before he was going to sell to Sartori - through slightly gritted teeth, probably - Dave Jones was presenting the annual shindig at the EFL conference in Portugal in June. He was introduced to the Thai fixers who said: 'we can find you more cash than that - 7 million sound good?'
In a bound, DE was free!!! He could spend the summer selling players (4 million in the end) and then conclude the sale to the Thais in September for 7 million. 11 million juicy smackers, having put in 8 million. Not bad for a plan that hadn't quite worked out.
But, oh dear, Tiger then kept on missing deadlines to come up with the cash, and meanwhile DE was losing a chunk of the money made in the summer. Not good!! If this carried on for another few months the genius deal wouldn't have looked so smart.
And so we came to the clever PE style deal, enabling Tiger to buy a club he couldn't at that point quite afford and getting DE out with the deal more or less intact (though delayed) before Oufc's ongoing running losses managed to eat up all of the lovely moolah that came in last summer.
The above is 60 per cent fact, 30 per cent rumour and 10 per cent supposition. But it'll not be far away from the truth.

Sums it up well, Pete. DE's plan was to invest 10 million into OUFC and get us to the Championship, where he could sell us for 20 million. This plan was never secret: and Ashton told me that that was how he sold the 'project' to DE.
This time last year - at about 8 million down and with his personal financial circumstances changing - he realised that getting to the Championship was less rather than more likely. He started tightening the purse strings - to MApp's discomfort and displeasure - and started considering how to make the best exit from an unfinished job. Hence the discussion with Sartori and Donald.
At the same time, he was aware of the value of some of the players. This irked him in the negotiations with Sartori, as he felt that he could make more or less what he was being offered by JS/AD simply by flogging our best players.
However, there was a risk in that. Tell Sartori to get lost, take in the cash from stripping the assets and then be landed with still running the club (and losing 150k a month) and not finding a new bidder.
Fortunately (for DE) fate intervened. A week before he was going to sell to Sartori - through slightly gritted teeth, probably - Dave Jones was presenting the annual shindig at the EFL conference in Portugal in June. He was introduced to the Thai fixers who said: 'we can find you more cash than that - 7 million sound good?'
In a bound, DE was free!!! He could spend the summer selling players (4 million in the end) and then conclude the sale to the Thais in September for 7 million. 11 million juicy smackers, having put in 8 million. Not bad for a plan that hadn't quite worked out.
But, oh dear, Tiger then kept on missing deadlines to come up with the cash, and meanwhile DE was losing a chunk of the money made in the summer. Not good!! If this carried on for another few months the genius deal wouldn't have looked so smart.
And so we came to the clever PE style deal, enabling Tiger to buy a club he couldn't at that point quite afford and getting DE out with the deal more or less intact (though delayed) before Oufc's ongoing running losses managed to eat up all of the lovely moolah that came in last summer.
The above is 60 per cent fact, 30 per cent rumour and 10 per cent supposition. But I wager that it'll not be far away from the truth.
Does not say anything about Tiger's motives. Nor about his actual wealth. Nor about whether he has richer fellows lurking in the background. On those we shall wait to see.

This time last year - at about 8 million down and with his personal financial circumstances changing - he realised that getting to the Championship was less rather than more likely. He started tightening the purse strings - to MApp's discomfort and displeasure - and started considering how to make the best exit from an unfinished job. Hence the discussion with Sartori and Donald.
The above is 60 per cent fact, 30 per cent rumour and 10 per cent supposition. But I wager that it'll not be far away from the truth.
Does not say anything about Tiger's motives. Nor about his actual wealth. Nor about whether he has richer fellows lurking in the background. On those we shall wait to see.
If that's the case - and it sounds plausible on the face of it - why are we vilifying Eales?

As you say, it was never his plan to simply gift the club millions - he hoped to invest and sell at a profit. Along the way, he developed an affection for the club and still attends games. He didn’t get to quite where he’d hoped and “circumstances changed” for him so he needed to offload.

Why is that so terrible? Why does that make him “slippery”?

The only possible criticism I can see is that he MIGHT have favoured his own interests above the club’s by taking the Tiger money rather than the Sartori (because it was more) and he didn’t want to lose £3m (by your sums). But as we’ll never be able to compare the two bids (because only one resulted in a takeover), it’s impossible to say whether or not his decision was in the club’s interests.

Are you personally upset because you were involved in the Sartori bid but not the Tiger one? In which case, I suppose it’s understandable that you’d think the one you were involved with was better. But then that’s potentially putting your own self-interest above the club’s as you can’t possibly know that it was better in fact (and never will).

As for Tiger. I am still struggling to understand why anyone would want to buy a football club that they “can’t quite afford”, but I guess it’s not impossible. Let’s hope he’s not as stupid as that sounds…!

Why is that so terrible? Why does that make him “slippery”?

Because everything but the first team was eroded in the final year of his tenure

It could very easily be argued that the first team was eroded too but it seems more likely to me that it was poorly assembled and managed at a greater cost.

Mmm, more vandalism than erosion. Eales gave an idjit control of his train set and look what happened.

Is it any different to ian lenagan who u speak a lot higher of ? Didn’t he cost cut at the end of his time? Didn’t he sell to a higher bidder than ur bid, in the best interests of himself, didn’t he spend months looking for a new manager but hoping the deal would be completed before he needed to?

Was Darryl not painted in the same light as tiger is being, the the much more favourable bid with absolutely no skeletons in the closet turned down when it would have been in the clubs best interests.

And importantly, if Ian is so much better than Darryl why didn’t he just screw up the £4.2m soft debt to the club rather than porting it to Darryl for £1 ??

The one thing that I find disappointing in all of this, and I speak from a position of no knowledge on matters other my readings on this forum, is that DE was supposedly acting in the “best interests of the club”. However, looking at it, the Sartori bid looked good for the club, if successfully implemented, but not so good for DE financially. Whilst applauding DE for what he achieved for the club up to last season and also his honesty in saying that he personally did not have the finance to take us further, events over the past 7/8 months have tarnished his image in my view.

Back
Top Bottom