What can be done to market the club better?

There are things we can do, or continue to do. Getting out to the schools is a great thing, but not just during term times but with things like summer fetes. Our local school has a penalty shoot out competition which has pretty much every kid involved. Why not link up with the club/school to get a player to open the competition and offer a signed shirt up as a prize?

Also, linking up with local pubs. I've often thought that with pre-match experiences being poor they could link with pubs in local towns that offer transport to and from home games. If you looked at Bicester, Abingdon etc, then how many fans would look to meet up at a pub for a couple of beers, then get transport to the ground and back again after? It would cost no more than public transport, and be a lot easier. The pubs would gain with pre/post match revenue and it would give a greater presence for the club with effectively a dozen or more supporters clubs across the county.

Lots of little initiatives are probably more effective than one big attempt to increase awareness, and everything is worth trying.

There are things we can do, or continue to do. Getting out to the schools is a great thing, but not just during term times but with things like summer fetes. Our local school has a penalty shoot out competition which has pretty much every kid involved. Why not link up with the club/school to get a player to open the competition and offer a signed shirt up as a prize?

Also, linking up with local pubs. I've often thought that with pre-match experiences being poor they could link with pubs in local towns that offer transport to and from home games. If you looked at Bicester, Abingdon etc, then how many fans would look to meet up at a pub for a couple of beers, then get transport to the ground and back again after? It would cost no more than public transport, and be a lot easier. The pubs would gain with pre/post match revenue and it would give a greater presence for the club with effectively a dozen or more supporters clubs across the county.

Lots of little initiatives are probably more effective than one big attempt to increase awareness, and everything is worth trying.

Think the pub thing is something they are already setting up, Matt mentioned it at one of the working groups when the j’s supporters bar was announced

Last edited by a moderator:
I would keep away from Bucks.
Wycombe need support far more than we do.

While we are doing mod requests could we possibly act quickly in the close season to ban trolls. Surprised this latest version of corporate Clive is lasting so long.

There is a good squad of trolls though.

Moobs in goal
Defence: Cooperative Clive, Glover, Headington, eastendyellow.

Midfield: Baldy, DR Khan, Lundinsponytail, Charlieghost,

Strikers: Brownlie, and KEN.

Tedious isn't it? Got to give them some credit though. Malc is pretty good at sniffing out returning trolls but they seem to be evading his measures. First we had Corporate Clive. He morphed into Glover, who disappeared in early April. Now the latest tag team of Eastendyellow and Headington are having fun. Seems likely one was Corporate Clive, or possibly both if CC's worked out how to operate as a multi.

First match at the manor 1972 so hardly a troll Peter

It amazes how long these trolls have been supporting OUFC, it’s always the 70’s or 80’s.

My ol man played for the club too under big Ron. Only a few appearances until injury forced him to retire. Won't say his name but big Ron visited our house to tell my Mum(Oxford girl- met Dad when transferred down) to tell her he had broken his leg

Well, you could immediately put the doubters (including me) in their place by naming your father. Why not? Not worried that we might do some research and prove you a liar, are you?

Pete Higgins- do your research & come back to me.

Peter Higgins, would have been around the time we got into the league? I wrote a massive OUFC database in the 90s when learning database programming, which became the basis for Rage Online, remember the name.

In this day and age we can all do the research. Easy to determine that a player called Peter Higgins played for OUFC at the time Ron Atkinson was manager.

You suggest that he played a few games before injury halted his career. The record shows he played between two and five times in the seasons 62/63 to 67/68 before playing 16 times in season 68/69. So that's certainly a 'few games'. Presumably the injury happened in that last season? It was certainly very nice of Ron to visit your home in such a way for someone who was, no offence, a bit player.

So are you still calling me a liar? He was also at Crewe too & brought up in Mansfield. The manager visiting was what they did then

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom