What can be done to market the club better?

Perhaps it’s time now to promote our Boxing Day home fixture and get the full house the team deserves, use every public opportunity to show and tell people about us, it’s ok to have a shop in town but people need to have to put under there noses to do anything.

I have already asked the club when tickets will come on sale for boxing day but yet to get a reply back. I'd imagine they would promote half season tickets along side it as it would include the Lincoln game.

No OUFC marketing at the Oxford Half marathon today.

There were the usual random freebies in the finishing goodie bag. Could have easily put some info in there:-

1) Simple flier advertising 25% off Sunderland tickets.
2) ‘Golden Envelope’ one envelope in each goody bag, then in a few envelopes a golden voucher for 2 tickets. Even if it was only 10 pairs, I’m sure it would have got a few mentions over the tannoys.
3) Olly the Ox there giving some freebies / fliers out.
4) Few banners out on the course advertising next game / Sunderland game.
5) Adverts on the screens in the Park & Ride buses.

Even in the horrendous weather there were a few thousand runners and families in attendance.

For a minimal spend the club could have been visible in one of the biggest Oxford events. Missed opportunity.

EDIT
Who is best person to send ideas to at the club re stuff like this?

I’m not sure if it is a goer due to numbers, but I’d have purchased an OUFC running vest if there had have been one. A yellow / blue one with the Ox badge and maybe a charity associated with the club on it / or OUFC in the community logo etc.

Kenilworth half marathon goody bag had 2 free tickets for the Wasps. We were away but couldn’t even give them away.

I am sure every spectator who has been to watch us over the past month or so has come away really impressed with the football and if they are anything like me they will have been banging on to friends about how entertaining it is at the moment.

Just over 6,000 fans coming away and talking to only 5 friends each is a significant outreach and more targeted than passive posters and leaflets.

It is not as if Oxford is a brand new venture that needs to spread the word. Anyone interested in sport (and football especially) will not have escaped the news about our run of results/form recently. If they want to come and take a look, they will do.

If we continue to perform as we have done and are looking serious contenders for a playoff place come Christmas, no doubt numbers will creep up.

But unfortunately it is still not just about Oxford for the casual supporter, it is also about the opposition, and they will pick and choose their games.

Beat Sunderland in the cup and draw say Liverpool at home, it will be a sell out and certainly no posters or flyers would be required.

Just the way it is IMHO.

The hardcore supporter/season ticket holder who will attend and travel come what may has to understand that others do not see supporting Oxford in the same way they do.

Hopefully getting Kassam out of the equation, and investment in the stadium will enhance the match day experience. The Priory is still sorely missed. Pre and post match fun ? in my opinion is sadly lacking. Win or lose, they were great times and definitely put more on our crowds. Kassam Out !! and I’m sure we can trust the Directors to take us in the right direction and then hopefully Oxfordshire will follow !!

Kenilworth half marathon goody bag had 2 free tickets for the Wasps. We were away but couldn’t even give them away.

I am sure every spectator who has been to watch us over the past month or so has come away really impressed with the football and if they are anything like me they will have been banging on to friends about how entertaining it is at the moment.

Just over 6,000 fans coming away and talking to only 5 friends each is a significant outreach and more targeted than passive posters and leaflets.

It is not as if Oxford is a brand new venture that needs to spread the word. Anyone interested in sport (and football especially) will not have escaped the news about our run of results/form recently. If they want to come and take a look, they will do.

If we continue to perform as we have done and are looking serious contenders for a playoff place come Christmas, no doubt numbers will creep up.

But unfortunately it is still not just about Oxford for the casual supporter, it is also about the opposition, and they will pick and choose their games.

Beat Sunderland in the cup and draw say Liverpool at home, it will be a sell out and certainly no posters or flyers would be required.

Just the way it is IMHO.

The hardcore supporter/season ticket holder who will attend and travel come what may has to understand that others do not see supporting Oxford in the same way they do.

Taking the point of drawing a big team like Liverpool at home in the cup makes me think that I always feel a loyalty points system could work for rewarding fans who attend more games than others. It might also increase attendances over a season.

I am an exile now but have witnessed the lowest points of our history. I would be annoyed if I missed out on getting a ticket for a big cup game to someone who had never been to a game but then bought a membership just for that 1 game.

League games could be worth a certain amount of loyalty points to the casual fan (say 5 points per game) and then ticket priority would be season ticket holders first, then members with X amount of loyalty points and so on until open sell.

Just another initiative to get fans to more games.

Taking the point of drawing a big team like Liverpool at home in the cup makes me think that I always feel a loyalty points system could work for rewarding fans who attend more games than others. It might also increase attendances over a season.

I am an exile now but have witnessed the lowest points of our history. I would be annoyed if I missed out on getting a ticket for a big cup game to someone who had never been to a game but then bought a membership just for that 1 game.

League games could be worth a certain amount of loyalty points to the casual fan (say 5 points per game) and then ticket priority would be season ticket holders first, then members with X amount of loyalty points and so on until open sell.

Great idea. Totally agree that some fairness has to be introduced in these circumstances.

Probably worth a point of making upcoming league games pre Sunderland as being a part of this sort of incentive to encourage some further interest. I am sure some people would gamble on a Sunderland win and a top draw.

And if not, hopefully they would have seen an enjoyable game and consider coming again, sooner rather than later.

Great idea. Totally agree that some fairness has to be introduced in these circumstances.

Probably worth a point of making upcoming league games pre Sunderland as being a part of this sort of incentive to encourage some further interest. I am sure some people would gamble on a Sunderland win and a top draw.

I attend a number of Burnley games each season due to my best mate being a fan. The less glamour games have a higher value of loyalty points than a match against a top side. For example a game against Watford would be 10 loyalty points and a game against Liverpool would be 5.

Tbh the thought of drawing Liverpool at home abhors me. The ground would be full of plastic Liverpool fans sitting around us and if it happened it would be a sad day to witness for real oufc supporters. Now if we beat Sunderland and drew Liverpool away then Rachael hey ho flint... different proposition.

There is the flexi ticket? I assume that these people would be next after ST holders? They will have paid for 6 games in one go.
Then of course members

Sheffield United sold cheap tickets through the students union - £10 a shot last year, not sure what's happened since promotion.

There is the flexi ticket? I assume that these people would be next after ST holders? They will have paid for 6 games in one go.
Then of course members

Interesting point and I'm not sure I know the answer to what should come first regarding priority.

Tbh the thought of drawing Liverpool at home abhors me. The ground would be full of plastic Liverpool fans sitting around us and if it happened it would be a sad day to witness for real oufc supporters. Now if we beat Sunderland and drew Liverpool away then Rachael hey ho flint... different proposition.

Like against Man City last season.

Back
Top Bottom