What can be done to market the club better?

Looking at Rage Online, last game was 69, think Ron Saunders may have been in charge at that point.

So are you still calling me a liar? He was also at Crewe originally & brought up in Mansfield. The manager visiting was what they did then

I can’t answer for Pete but I certainly think you’re full of rubbish!

Still, you’ll be gone soon so you may as well make the most of making yourself look a little silly while you can post :)

I'm calling you a troll. You like making mischievous posts, with intermittent more sensible posts to give you credibility. If OUFC player Peter Higgins was indeed your father, you're still a troll.

You accused me of being a liar. I told you stuff that simply is not available online. Players that played just a few times in the 60s is not available online. You should apologise for calling me a liar.

:) There's a very good book titled 'Oxford United The Complete Record'. It's by Martin Brodetsky, who you will be familiar with, being an Oxford fan. Full player records are on there. It doesn't include details of injuries or Big Ron attending players' homes, but embellishments are quite easy to make.

Yes seen it. My Dad has it down in Hampshire where he lives. If you do not believe me its your problem. Not going to make up .

So..........

Mr Headington joined this forum three days ago and has since then posted 52 times, having never posted before. Really? I'm not having it, he's either been here before under another name, or is from another club and here on a wind up. Most of his posts are either negative or derisory, and quite often only a few words, aimed at getting a response.

And now, this bloke who claims his dad played for us back in the sixties, claims he's never heard of RageOnline! I've got a relation who played for Manchester United, WBA and England (once) among others. It was in the pre-war years, but I've spent time trawling any internet site I can to find out more about him, which is what anyone would do. And you, Mr Headington, expect us to believe you've never heard of the main statistical records site of all things Oxford United.

You are a troll pal, and there rests the case for the prosecution.

Did your mum have a little glint in her eye reminiscing about these home visits from the man she called 'big Ron'?

There's a good conversation we could have on here about marketing. Not least how we could get involved and help Matt with ideas and practical support in our workplaces etc. FWIW I think the club have done a good job this year in pretty tough circumstances.

Last edited:
Headingtons Dad was the one that use to bring the oranges in the dressing room at half time, and occasionally came on the pitch with the bucket and wet sponge.

I have a day off so time to try turning Headinton's trolling into something a bit more constructive. Some half formed marketing thoughts...

Kids gear at subsidised or break-even prices. Agree with those who picked this out as an important thing. Taking a small financial hit to gain visibility might be a worthwhile tradeoff?

Keep it up packing the family area with incentives and free tickets - especially having initiatives ready to roll quickly when we're on a good run and the football decent. The last few home matches were almost full in that corner of the north stand. From what I've heard back from friends and people at the local youth team there'll be repeat business for sure.

Workplace promos. Get some of us fans to step up on the club's behalf. Posters and flyers for places like work canteens, notice boards. Also a wee bit more coordinatation for fans to post and repost promos on social media.

Give every season ticket holder a 'friend goes free' voucher. One per season. Like lots of companies do to get new customers. Be upfront with ST holders that they'd be helping the club if they used it to get new faces in.

Students - there has to be potential here but previous ideas never seemed to work out. Have a hunch that this needs to be approached more as a group activity. Some kind of easy-to-access group 'experience' - unlikely to be a big money spinner directly but could do wonders for awareness and WOM over long term? It's hard to do but the demographics of our city are weird so should keep plugging away here.

Transport and accessibility. From what I've picked up the Kassam feels inaccessible and awkward even if it's not too bad in reality. Complicated one. But just as a start I'd say awareness of the public transport options already available is low for lots of potential new people. The #1 and #5 buses (even the #16) could very easily say 'for Kassam stadium' and signage in Blackbird Leys and Minchery farm improved.

Be really ruthless (but honest) with ST holders and diehard fans about what's needed to get new people in the door. British football clubs still make too many marketing decisions influenced by their 'base'. There are some tensions here to face down. If every price incentive results in ST holders moaning about being ignored or betrayed or if we keep sneering at 'daytrippers' nothing will improve. People like us spending hours on a fans forum making in-jokes about Steve Antrobus are *not* the people whose opinions matter when it comes to outreach.

Digital. Emails have been better and more regular this year and social media is remarkably good and consistent compared to most clubs at our level. Kudos to Cath. What Chris and Martin do on iFollow with very limited resources is also impressive. There's a case to be made for more of our iFollow content to be released on the wider internet I'd say but understand the balancing act involved here. I'd be interested to know what we might be dabbling with re. paid digital marketing (Facebook ads, paid search etc.) because that's likely to have more potential at scale than press and print promotion.

Matchday experience. The stadium situation is such a massive constraint. Environment, comfort, refreshments, stinking toilets - all largely outside the club's control. Must be enormously frustrating for everyone involved. Queuing for half an hour to get a 'half time' bottle of watery P**s beer watching two low-paid teenagers try and figure out the till is embarassing. Maybe we should take things into our own hands and post 'Hope you enjoy the game. Sorry about the stadium. Complaints about the delays and discomfort to Mr Firoz Kassam, c/o Firoka..." on the walls at each game. Other ways to shame the bastard and attack his personal brand welcome.

Arggh. The thought of Firoka and Kassam has got me hot under the collar. Just thoughts. COYY

I have a day off so time to try turning Headinton's trolling into something a bit more constructive. Some half formed marketing thoughts...

Kids gear at subsidised or break-even prices. Agree with those who picked this out as an important thing. Taking a small financial hit to gain visibility might be a worthwhile tradeoff?

Keep it up packing the family area with incentives and free tickets - especially having initiatives ready to roll quickly when we're on a good run and the football decent. The last few home matches were almost full in that corner of the north stand. From what I've heard back from friends and people at the local youth team there'll be repeat business for sure.

Workplace promos. Get some of us fans to step up on the club's behalf. Posters and flyers for places like work canteens, notice boards. Also a wee bit more coordinatation for fans to post and repost promos on social media.

Give every season ticket holder a 'friend goes free' voucher. One per season. Like lots of companies do to get new customers. Be upfront with ST holders that they'd be helping the club if they used it to get new faces in.

Students - there has to be potential here but previous ideas never seemed to work out. Have a hunch that this needs to be approached more as a group activity. Some kind of easy-to-access group 'experience' - unlikely to be a big money spinner directly but could do wonders for awareness and WOM over long term? It's hard to do but the demographics of our city are weird so should keep plugging away here.

Transport and accessibility. From what I've picked up the Kassam feels inaccessible and awkward even if it's not too bad in reality. Complicated one. But just as a start I'd say awareness of the public transport options already available is low for lots of potential new people. The #1 and #5 buses (even the #16) could very easily say 'for Kassam stadium' and signage in Blackbird Leys and Minchery farm improved.

Be really ruthless (but honest) with ST holders and diehard fans about what's needed to get new people in the door. British football clubs still make too many marketing decisions influenced by their 'base'. There are some tensions here to face down. If every price incentive results in ST holders moaning about being ignored or betrayed or if we keep sneering at 'daytrippers' nothing will improve. People like us spending hours on a fans forum making in-jokes about Steve Antrobus are *not* the people whose opinions matter when it comes to outreach.

Digital. Emails have been better and more regular this year and social media is remarkably good and consistent compared to most clubs at our level. Kudos to Cath. What Chris and Martin do on iFollow with very limited resources is also impressive. There's a case to be made for more of our iFollow content to be released on the wider internet I'd say but understand the balancing act involved here. I'd be interested to know what we might be dabbling with re. paid digital marketing (Facebook ads, paid search etc.) because that's likely to have more potential at scale than press and print promotion.

Matchday experience. The stadium situation is such a massive constraint. Environment, comfort, refreshments, stinking toilets - all largely outside the club's control. Must be enormously frustrating for everyone involved. Queuing for half an hour to get a 'half time' bottle of watery P**s beer watching two low-paid teenagers try and figure out the till is embarassing. Maybe we should take things into our own hands and post 'Hope you enjoy the game. Sorry about the stadium. Complaints about the delays and discomfort to Mr Firoz Kassam, c/o Firoka..." on the walls at each game. Other ways to shame the bastard and attack his personal brand welcome.

Arggh. The thought of Firoka and Kassam has got me hot under the collar. Just thoughts. COYY
good post. re stadium experience, not that relevant but i wish they’d turn that bloody PA down a bit. probably just me getting older but does it really need to be that loud

Back
Top Bottom