Wembley FA cup .

saddletramp

Time to do away with FA cup semi's at Wembley ?
17,000 empty seats Chelsea V Southampton.
Didn't fill it for Spurs v Man United !! (84,000)

Just detracts from the final IMO.

Agreed, plenty of other stadiums that could host the semi finals. Much preferred the days of them being played at Villa Park and other grounds. Cannot see the FA moving them from Wembley though

Agreed, plenty of other stadiums that could host the semi finals. Much preferred the days of them being played at Villa Park and other grounds. Cannot see the FA moving them from Wembley though
Yep, they need to claim back the money!

The attraction of the FA cup is diminishing by the year.
Spurs are talking of playing the kids in next years tournament.
A real shame for those of us brought up with the FA cup being a top tournament.
Going the same way as test cricket ...

I agree Wembley should be for the final only at 3 o’clock on a Saturday and should be the last domestic game in the English football calendar

Give FA Cup winners an auto in champs league and watch what happens.
I've been in favour of doing that for years. Will never happen though.

As for finals away from Wembley, the traditionalist in me ompletely agrees, but we don't have grounds big enough to do it. Even the low turn out on Sunday was 74k, enough to fill Old Trafford. Playing the game at Villa Park would have been a joke. I suppose you could use some of Old Trafford, St James' Park, maybe even go to Cardiff for the national stadium. Apart from those, we just don't have the capacities.

The Emirates and Etihad could be used I suppose. More modern than Villa Park. Even White Hart Lane's new iteration.

And now the Final is shifted to 17.15 for the benefit of telly. Couple that with ridiculous prices and the plan to bring it down to the level of the Chubba chips trophy is going well. And we just let it roll on because money always wins...

Wembley Stadium PLC, or whatever they call themselves, are only interested in fleecing as much money as they can out of anyone who goes to any event there. Unrealistic ticket prices for non-league finals, and playoff finals for both non-league and lower football league clubs, and the Shaun Harvey abomination trophy final too. Price tags for just about any form of food and drink purchased inside Wembley stadium would even make the self-appointed custodian of OUFC, and breeze block landlord wince!

With Spuds using Wembley as their home ground being the cherry on the top, it has, in my opinion, been totally devalued as England National stadium. And, again with Spuds making the FA cup semi-finals this season, cynically, before kick-off at least, some may claim Spuds had an unfair (home) advantage!

Its all about filthy lucre and Murdoch's grubby fingers controlling television schedules, with not an iota of concern about football supporters, with the exception being how much money can be taken off each and every one of them

If and, optimistically, when OUFC reach a Wembley final, of course, I'll be there.... that apart, the only matches played there that hold any interest for me are England games.

Oldest cup competition in the world is treated with utter contempt with Premiership ( & some Championship) clubs, shame on the lot of them for putting Murdochs multi-million pound handouts over and above treating the FA cup, or for that matter the League Cup (which allows the contemptuous Premiership clubs to enter a competition that by default they voted to break away from when forming their boys club aka Premiership) . And the Football Association are akin to eunuchs, as they don't have the balls to tell Murdoch to do one over scheduling live football matches to suit television as opposed to football fans! Of course they, the Football Association won't say FA (!) to challenge Murdoch's grip, as they were bought and paid for years and years ago. By Murdoch!

"And the Football Association are akin to eunuchs, as they don't have the balls to tell Murdoch to do one over scheduling live football matches to suit television as opposed to football fans! Of course they, the Football Association won't say FA (!) to challenge Murdoch's grip, as they were bought and paid for years and years ago. By Murdoch! "

A bit harsh on Murdoch.
The FA cup is on BT sport ;)

it could be argued that we perhaps gave the middle finger to the F A Cup by fielding a perceived weakened side against Port Vale as we targeted the money of the tin pot trophy?

With the fa cup soon to be midweek and no replays the powers that be have bowed to the likes of the premershite with total disregard for the fans..The competition is now heading the same way as the League cup with empty stadiums the norm.
The once much waited for draw for the 3rd round of the f a cup sponsored by The Recycled Toilet Rolls company will take place in Nofanistan at 2am Gmt.

Never mind there's still Friday Night at The Prem...Saturday night fever... Supershite Sunday and Monday night love in's to suit the Tv companies.

That would be plain stupid. A partnership maybe but not outright sale.
The fact it's Shad Khan suggests he has motivation for his NFL team and Fulham. I don't know why the FA would sell Wembley - short sighted in the extreme

Wembley Stadium PLC, or whatever they call themselves, are only interested in fleecing as much money as they can out of anyone who goes to any event there. Unrealistic ticket prices for non-league finals, and playoff finals for both non-league and lower football league clubs, and the Shaun Harvey abomination trophy final too. Price tags for just about any form of food and drink purchased inside Wembley stadium would even make the self-appointed custodian of OUFC, and breeze block landlord wince!

With Spuds using Wembley as their home ground being the cherry on the top, it has, in my opinion, been totally devalued as England National stadium. And, again with Spuds making the FA cup semi-finals this season, cynically, before kick-off at least, some may claim Spuds had an unfair (home) advantage!

Its all about filthy lucre and Murdoch's grubby fingers controlling television schedules, with not an iota of concern about football supporters, with the exception being how much money can be taken off each and every one of them

If and, optimistically, when OUFC reach a Wembley final, of course, I'll be there.... that apart, the only matches played there that hold any interest for me are England games.

Oldest cup competition in the world is treated with utter contempt with Premiership ( & some Championship) clubs, shame on the lot of them for putting Murdochs multi-million pound handouts over and above treating the FA cup, or for that matter the League Cup (which allows the contemptuous Premiership clubs to enter a competition that by default they voted to break away from when forming their boys club aka Premiership) . And the Football Association are akin to eunuchs, as they don't have the balls to tell Murdoch to do one over scheduling live football matches to suit television as opposed to football fans! Of course they, the Football Association won't say FA (!) to challenge Murdoch's grip, as they were bought and paid for years and years ago. By Murdoch!

Tend to agree with most of that but don't the FA set the prices for the FA Cup final, the FL for the Lge Cup final etc?

Tend to agree with most of that but don't the FA set the prices for the FA Cup final, the FL for the Lge Cup final etc?
Football Association currently (!) own Wembley stadium, while EFL's Shaun Harvey seems to be merely a powerless glove puppet of the FA, who does as exactly what he's told to do, including any input regarding EFL 'finals' held at the FA owned Spuds home ground, by both the FA and Premier League shot calling executives..... at least that's how it looks to me!

Lords is the 'HQ' for cricket, yet England play the majority of their games at other grounds so I would have no problem with the FA moving England games around the country.

As for the FA Cup, it definitely detracts from the final by playing the semis there. I think the FA have paid off the debt on Wembley now so they could easily move the semis away again. They argue that it allows more 'real fans' to attend ignoring the fact that they make thousands of tickets available to sponsors etc. We now have half a dozen grounds spread around the country that can accommodate 60,000 fans so there is no real reason why semis couldn't be played elsewhere.

Lords is the 'HQ' for cricket, yet England play the majority of their games at other grounds so I would have no problem with the FA moving England games around the country.

As for the FA Cup, it definitely detracts from the final by playing the semis there. I think the FA have paid off the debt on Wembley now so they could easily move the semis away again. They argue that it allows more 'real fans' to attend ignoring the fact that they make thousands of tickets available to sponsors etc. We now have half a dozen grounds spread around the country that can accommodate 60,000 fans so there is no real reason why semis couldn't be played elsewhere.

Good call @iambungle
When Wembley was being reconstructed, England football team played home games at a variety of grounds in England, something that should, for at least England friendlies, continue Id say

Back
Top Bottom