Fan's View Well done (from an Owls fan)

SteelCitySteve

Sheffield Wednesday fan
Firstly, well done on your win yesterday – some excellent, slick play especially in the first half. Your midfield bossed ours in the main, though we improved as the game went on.

Dunkley and our keeper should have done much better with the goal, but it had been coming and I was actually quite relieved to go in at the break just 0-1 down (despite the fact we have a dreadful stat of never having won a game after conceding first, since early 2019!)

I noticed there were quite a few Oxford fans joining in with our support for our ex-player Jose Semedo on six minutes (he wore the number 6 shirt for us) - this was very much appreciated. He unfortunately lost his wife recently and, as a player who is held in great affection by Wednesday fans, we had been genuinely shocked to hear this news (at such a young age as well).

2nd half we came out with a bit more purpose, even managing to wake up the crowd (it’s not been very exciting at Hillsborough over recent years trust me, though yesterday was especially quiet I’ve got to say).

We started to build momentum and you could feel our goal was coming.

After that, the game could have gone either way. There was quite a bit of shall we say ‘game management’ going on from Mr Robinson, but that’s a feature of most games these days and I’m not going to point the finger at Oxford too much for this, as every side do it to one degree or another, including ourselves on occasion. It’s a side of the game I hate and I wish it could be stamped out – it’s designed to interrupt the flow of the game when one side is building momentum, which, like VAR, is ruining the spontaneity of the game we all love.

The ref had one of those games where the victors will praise him and the losers will loathe him. In other words, he got quite a few decisions wrong, but did it affect the outcome of the game – not really.

Obviously you’ll have enjoyed the last few minutes!

Anyway, that’s my two penneth worth. Your supporters did your club proud yesterday – good numbers and very vocal (we enjoyed our usual game of ‘is this a library’ bingo and you didn’t disappoint).

Hope you enjoyed your day out in our fair city (it’s not a s**thole by the way!) and we'll see you in January.

PS, despite what you might read on some internet forums, most Wednesday fans are not ‘billy big balls’ – we know where we are in the football firmament – a badly run, under-performing club with a great history, a big old, if slightly decrepit, ground and a loyal support. One day someone will buy us and turn the ship around – we live in hope!

Majority of reports on here seem to suggest the locals were a decent bunch, hospitable and good for a chat and a beer. Definitely not in the Sunderland degrees of moronically disconnected from reality.

I agree on the time wasting principle although yesterday I was watching with interest. I would have been screaming if I was a home fan but at no point did they really do anything too bad. It was more just a general lack of urgency and pushing the boundaries. (Keeper falling after catching / throw ins walking not running to collect , etc). I think both injuries were legit (Kane got subbed and Longs head injury made no sense to fake tactically given the game play situation ).

What I will say is that in this division that wasn’t close to the shithousery you’ll see from some teams like AFC or Wycombe . Deliberately taking throw ins 30 yards up just so they’re forced to retake them etc

Dunkley, Johnson were decent players for us at this level, Shodipo split opinion but was still overall fairly good. Watching on iplayer yesterday they looked shadows of who they were . Are they rated by owls? 🦉

Good summary above from you and best wishes for finishing somewhere below us for the rest of the season. 😉

Last edited:
I have to say I was made most welcome by your lot. Met a couple of “expat” Owls fans (from Stafford way) at the Tap at the station. They were pretty sanguine about their expectations from the game (lose), and certainly not Billy big balls in any way. They then took me to the Barrack Tavern and even insisted on buying the beers. Obviously we both said “now f**k off” just before the game!

I’d never been to Hillsborough before and it did feel like a privilege in a way, but yeah, you do need to make more noise than 1,500 away fans!

The “shithole” song always makes me laugh. Particularly when, say, Luton come to Oxford.

The one song I never join in with is the “by far the greatest team, the world has ever seen” one. Can’t sing it with a straight face.

I hope Oxford fans make you feel as welcome as your lot did. And feel free to pop back here in January for advice on pubs, etc. I’m an expert [emoji23][emoji23]

Firstly, well done on your win yesterday – some excellent, slick play especially in the first half. Your midfield bossed ours in the main, though we improved as the game went on.

Dunkley and our keeper should have done much better with the goal, but it had been coming and I was actually quite relieved to go in at the break just 0-1 down (despite the fact we have a dreadful stat of never having won a game after conceding first, since early 2019!)

I noticed there were quite a few Oxford fans joining in with our support for our ex-player Jose Semedo on six minutes (he wore the number 6 shirt for us) - this was very much appreciated. He unfortunately lost his wife recently and, as a player who is held in great affection by Wednesday fans, we had been genuinely shocked to hear this news (at such a young age as well).

2nd half we came out with a bit more purpose, even managing to wake up the crowd (it’s not been very exciting at Hillsborough over recent years trust me, though yesterday was especially quiet I’ve got to say).

After that, the game could have gone either way. There was quite a bit of shall we say ‘game management’ going on from Mr Robinson, but that’s a feature of most games these days and I’m not going to point the finger at Oxford too much for this, as every side do it to one degree or another, including ourselves on occasion. It’s a side of the game I hate and I wish it could be stamped out – it’s designed to interrupt the flow of the game when one side is building momentum, which, like VAR, is ruining the spontaneity of the game we all love.

The ref had one of those games where the victors will praise him and the losers will loathe him. In other words, he got quite a few decisions wrong, but did it affect the outcome of the game – not really.

Anyway, that’s my two penneth worth. Your supporters did your club proud yesterday – good numbers and very vocal (we enjoyed our usual game of ‘is this a library’ bingo and you didn’t disappoint).

Hope you enjoyed your day out in our fair city (it’s not a s**thole by the way!) and we'll see you in January.

PS, despite what you might read on some internet forums, most Wednesday fans are not ‘billy big balls’ – we know where we are in the football firmament – a badly run, under-performing club with a great history, a big old, if slightly decrepit, ground and a loyal support. One day someone will buy us and turn the ship around – we live in hope!
Thanks for the honest and the respect you have shown us in your post as you quite correctly printed out we are in admiration of the ref as he looked like he controlled the game and wasn’t fooled by any antics that went on be either side.
Best of luck for the rest of the season.

Thanks for the honest and the respect you have shown us in your post as you quite correctly printed out we are in admiration of the ref as he looked like he controlled the game and wasn’t fooled by any antics that went on be either side.
Best of luck for the rest of the season.
except in January of course

Does anyone know how many Oxford fans were at Hillsborough yesterday? The match report on the official OUFC site shows a total attendance of 22,060 but away fans still 'TBC'.

Also, can't see the crowd figures for the AFC Wimbledon away match either. Any idea of total crowd and number of Oxford fans? Thanks.

I think for Wimbledon, they don't bother separating them publically and the best source is Police twitter who do give the split.

Sheffield is my favourite city in the UK, definitely not a shithole!

No denying Wednesday are a massive club from me, us Oxford fans can certainly relate to being woefully mis-managed by owners. All the best for the rest of the season (until you come to the sewege arena!)

Having lived in Sheffield for three years, I found the Wednesday lot to be a decent bunch.

Good to know that they have realistic expectations after some difficult years. They also have other things going on in their lives rather than the dullards of Sunderland who live in such a hole of a town that their team is the only remotely interesting thing about them, hence the overt pressure they put on their team and pathetic overreactions to losing.

Having lived in Sheffield for three years, I found the Wednesday lot to be a decent bunch.

Good to know that they have realistic expectations after some difficult years. They also have other things going on in their lives rather than the dullards of Sunderland who live in such a hole of a town that their team is the only remotely interesting thing about them, hence the overt pressure they put on their team and pathetic overreactions to losing.
At least they don't sing that Chip Butty bollox.

"A big old, if slightly decrepit ground" I loved the ground, character, great view, produced good atmosphere. TEN times better than these modern bowl wrap around "architect pretty" stadiums (eg MK Dons)

Ha except for all the fans in the home fans end who dodge the pillars to get to see the whole of the pitch. See S and C.
c7303db802fd2ed8d6f2af823f4bc684.jpg
and I guess all those who didn’t want to get wet down to our right.

One of the very best and fairest of posts I've ever read on here from a fan of a team we've just played.

"good numbers and very vocal (we enjoyed our usual game of ‘is this a library’ bingo and you didn’t disappoint)." - so predictable.

"Hope you enjoyed your day out in our fair city (it’s not a s**thole by the way!) and we'll see you in January." - it certainly isn't it's a great city. Another song that does my head in.

A decent summary of events Steve.
We have spent so long being dicked around with the time wasting, Anti-football tactics employed by some of the other teams in this league, that for once, I am glad to hear that we are employing a little of that too.

Being suckered by whycome and co. year on year is sickening.

I might add that if you thought we were bad…. You Ain’t seen nothin’ yet!!!😉

Great day out to he an Oxford supporter.

Hillsborough lived up to (and exceeded expectations). A wonderful old ground that should be cherished. As mentioned above, give me that over a stereotypical bowl every day of the week - new owners take note.

Speaking to one steward, he’d been informed that the Ox contingent amounted to 2,200 on Saturday. It certainly sounded like more than 1,500 that has been mentioned on here.

Fully expect Wednesday to be right in amongst the final shake up, come the end of the season. A team with lots pf quality and a manager that knows his way around our division.

As previously noted, one of the most balanced posts we've seen from an opposition fan and all the more refreshing.

As for fans so far up their own backsides, I came across this Sunderland article last week praising the football style that Lee Johnson has seemingly tried to introduce, alongside the Cowley's at Portsmouth. It's as if they have hit upon a style that nobody else has previously tried in the division, apart from MK Dons. Deluded as always and I don't think anyone is pretending that the Cowley's are producing slick, possession based teams. No recognition that Oxford, Lincoln, Accrington, Bolton and many others are trying to play the 'right' way.

As previously noted, one of the most balanced posts we've seen from an opposition fan and all the more refreshing.

As for fans so far up their own backsides, I came across this Sunderland article last week praising the football style that Lee Johnson has seemingly tried to introduce, alongside the Cowley's at Portsmouth. It's as if they have hit upon a style that nobody else has previously tried in the division, apart from MK Dons. Deluded as always and I don't think anyone is pretending that the Cowley's are producing slick, possession based teams. No recognition that Oxford, Lincoln, Accrington, Bolton and many others are trying to play the 'right' way.

"What I do absolutely expect, based on the philosophies of the men directing proceedings from the touchlines, is that we will be thoroughly entertained." - hope the 4-0 defeat entertained him.

To the author - look at the bloody bigger picture. 24 teams in L1. Not just three that play or try to play football. It ain't new.

Back
Top Bottom