Weight Loss Support Thread

This is a great thread. I have a couple of things that worked for me. Although I didn't need to lose weight about 4 years ago I started riding to work and hit a plateau on the weight loss. What I found worked for me:
  • cutting out refined sugar during the week and eating what I like at the weekend.
  • cutting out a small block of cheese at lunchtime. Made a bigger difference than I expected.
My commute is around 33 miles round trip and weight just fell off when I cut out the sugar (which only seemed like a few biscuits "here and there".....). I'm lucky I can ride to the office but the key really is basically cut out sugar, reduce alcohol and exercise more.
Kudos to everyone having a go at dropping weight/improving fitness.

Just cut out the cakes, biscuits, pastries, no sugar in the tea/coffee, all sugar drinks and walk more. Cut right down on the alcohol and you will be surprised at how quick the weight will come off. Worked for me but the hardest part is keeping at the weight you have chosen to be. Not easy.

Good luck.

Call for sponsorship on the Cancer Research UK 10k:

No Parkrun this week.... had to switch things around as we were marshalls at the local Race for Life and still needed to fit in our longest training walk of 27 miles!!! 12 miles in the morning, home for lunch & wait for the rain to stop then 15 miles in the afternoon.....via a pub or two!
Madness for a good cause!
Old Fat Bloke doing a long walk!

You had to go and spoil it. ?
Bottle of white, 2 glasses of red, 2 pints and a few rum & cokes........ a days calorie intake gone!!
Trouble is it was mostly free and they kept topping the glass up. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Dwinks.JPG

@joeys left foot...I need to join you. I am 48, 14.7 stone. I need to get back to 12.7. I will join you on Wednesday weighs. I tend to be all or nothing type. But moderation over an extended period works. The advice is greatly appreciated, from OP. Thank you.

Great stuff, I'd welcome the support. My fitness pal is a great app, you can use that to set your target and after inputting some details like height, age and how much you move it'll tell you how many calories a day you can have. It'll also reprimand you for not eating enough so it keep s things sensible. Even the free app has the barcode scanner to help track calories.

I've changed from semi skimmed to skimmed milk, sweeteners rather than sugar and I've started walking 20/30 minutes in my lunch break and I take the stairs rather than the lift (within reason!). As for food, I'm steering clear of crisps, chocolate, sweets and pastry but eating and drinking everything else if I have sufficient calorie allowance.

Good luck mate.

Great stuff, I'd welcome the support. My fitness pal is a great app, you can use that to set your target and after inputting some details like height, age and how much you move it'll tell you how many calories a day you can have. It'll also reprimand you for not eating enough so it keep s things sensible. Even the free app has the barcode scanner to help track calories.

I've changed from semi skimmed to skimmed milk, sweeteners rather than sugar and I've started walking 20/30 minutes in my lunch break and I take the stairs rather than the lift (within reason!). As for food, I'm steering clear of crisps, chocolate, sweets and pastry but eating and drinking everything else if I have sufficient calorie allowance.

Good luck mate.

Can I just say on milk, the more fat it has the better your body absorbs more of the nutrients you get from the milk. This was from a nutritionist on one of the Food TV programmes looking at healthy eating and was confirmed by one I spoke to at the JR. The TV Nutritionist actually recommended full fat Milk due to the neglible levels of fat, unless you drink a number of pints daily.

Loving this thread. I’m getting back to fitness after a bad cycling crash 5 months ago. Just started to get fit by cycling and running again (with the permanent addition of 2 titanium rods!) and find this thread both useful and motivational. Thanks all.

Loving this thread. I’m getting back to fitness after a bad cycling crash 5 months ago. Just started to get fit by cycling and running again (with the permanent addition of 2 titanium rods!) and find this thread both useful and motivational. Thanks all.
dunno if this is a valid contribution to this weight loss support thread? .... Ive shed around a stone in 8-9 months , without actually particularly trying to

I put most of it (my weight loss) down to a combination of following my GPs general advice to drink 2l of water daily ( on top of/ in addition to other liquid consumption), which I do try to adhere to.... and, with the one way system entry to my local shops having been reversed, ( part of the ongoing access to headington 'improvements), instead of driving to n from the shops Ive taken to walking ( down & up ) part of Headly way to the shops more than several times a week, .... results of the 'exercise little n often approach along with actively increasing my daily water intake, Im only a few pounds ( cant work out kilos etc me!- I prefer weight in old money) heavier than I was in my teens n early 20s ... and Ive gone down one waist size too ... reasonably pleased with that, especially, water consumption apart, as its not taken much effort on my part

dunno if this is a valid contribution to this weight loss support thread? .... Ive shed around a stone in 8-9 months , without actually particularly trying to

I put most of it (my weight loss) down to a combination of following my GPs general advice to drink 2l of water daily ( on top of/ in addition to other liquid consumption), which I do try to adhere to.... and, with the one way system entry to my local shops having been reversed, ( part of the ongoing access to headington 'improvements), instead of driving to n from the shops Ive taken to walking ( down & up ) part of Headly way to the shops more than several times a week, .... results of the 'exercise little n often approach along with actively increasing my daily water intake, Im only a few pounds ( cant work out kilos etc me!- I prefer weight in old money) heavier than I was in my teens n early 20s ... and Ive gone down one waist size too ... reasonably pleased with that, especially, water consumption apart, as its not taken much effort on my part
Tis valid, I piled on nearly a stone whilst I was laid up so needed to shed some timber as well!

Just weighted in and I've lost 5lbs this week so I've lost 9lbs in two weeks which I'm delighted about. I even moved the scales downstairs double check!

Again I've been keeping to 1500 calories a day on average which is perfectly safe for me and it's felt fine (all logged on my fitness pal). I had to live off service station food a couple of times this week but had a zinger rice box meal from KFC and a grilled chicken wrap meal with the side salad rather than fries. As for alcohol I had 4 250ml bottles of beer a G and T and a glass of wine over the weekend. I haven't drunk alcohol at all during the week and I haven't had any crisps, chocolate, sweets, cheese and pastry since starting this. I've also upped my walking and water this week too but no running yet, still building up to that!

I've read that after the initial big loss at the start it settles down to a pound or 2 a week so that's what I'll aim for next week.

Weigh yourselves when there's a full moon, might take a couple of pounds off.

I`ve discovered that you can change body shape and still weigh the same. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I`m on a week long "streak" on myfitnesspal for being under calorie goal.

This weekend I`m off to a friends vineyard to help with vine threading.................

I must not drink any wine....
I must not eat from the Bar-B-Q......

o_O(y)

I`ve discovered that you can change body shape and still weigh the same. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Which is exactly the reason you shouldn't get hung up on weight ?. If you want to lose a couple of stone quickly then amputate a leg, job done ? go on how your clothes fit and how you feel, don't worry about weight.

Which is exactly the reason you shouldn't get hung up on weight ?. If you want to lose a couple of stone quickly then amputate a leg, job done ? go on how your clothes fit and how you feel, don't worry about weight.

Thats how I found out... not enough holes in the belt!! ? ?

I should've explained that my scales are temperamental and give a different reading in different parts of the room! For that reason I weigh on the same tile each time!
Try a roof tile, you’ll be even lighter??

Glad this thread exists, i managed to lose about 3 stone the other year, however due to a family bereavement ive noticed that i have gained a bit again, so i'm trying to lose some again!

Back
Top Bottom