Weight Loss Support Thread

I’m better off skipping breakfast (and lunch if it’s not a hard day). I think it depends on your body type.

Interesting to hear about running from others. I’m 49 and started for the first time (since school cross country getting ankle-tapped by twats) about 18 months ago to make sure my daughter (now 15) was getting some exercise. My son (now 10) loved it and so we’ve been running at least weekly. A few months ago we started doing parkrun. Have a google. It is a 5 km timed run in a Saturday morning pretty much anywhere in the world. We usually run in Perth, but last week I was in Krakow with billy so we rocked up to the krakow parkrun. I’m not competitive but I like the community vibe (although it can be a tad churchy evangelical at times) and that my time gets recorded and I run faster at parkrun than I do in my own.
@Essexyellows is a big Park Runner

Interesting to hear about running from others. I’m 49 and started for the first time (since school cross country getting ankle-tapped by twats) about 18 months ago to make sure my daughter (now 15) was getting some exercise. My son (now 10) loved it and so we’ve been running at least weekly. A few months ago we started doing parkrun. Have a google. It is a 5 km timed run in a Saturday morning pretty much anywhere in the world. We usually run in Perth, but last week I was in Krakow with billy so we rocked up to the krakow parkrun. I’m not competitive but I like the community vibe (although it can be a tad churchy evangelical at times) and that my time gets recorded and I run faster at parkrun than I do in my own.
Parkrun is brilliant, such a great idea. The Bicester parkrun is always well attended. I've never actually taken part, Saturday morning is when I do my long run, but have passed the people out doing it, fantastic to see so many people involved on a regular basis.

A couple of years back there was a health initiative in Bicester which resulted in 3 (I think) 5K 'blue line' routes being painted in some of the housing estates, quite often see people following those as well.

I find that I can keep my weight relatively stable if I do approximately 9k steps per day. So that's a 20 minute walk to and from the train station before sitting on my a**e during the working day.

I drink about 4 pints in the week with one glass of wine, and I eat what I like but try to keep it broadly to 3 meals a day (with a few biscuits in the evening). 1 takeaway per fortnight.

Furious masturbation is my only exercise and I do that about 4 times a week.

Stick to those principles and you'll be dropping lbs in no time.

;)
I find that I can keep my weight relatively stable if I do approximately 9k steps per day. So that's a 20 minute walk to and from the train station before sitting on my a**e during the working day.

I drink about 4 pints in the week with one glass of wine, and I eat what I like but try to keep it broadly to 3 meals a day (with a few biscuits in the evening). 1 takeaway per fortnight.

Furious masturbation is my only exercise and I do that about 4 times a week.

Stick to those principles and you'll be dropping lbs in no time.

You lost my interest when you mentioned biscuits
:):ROFLMAO:

To the OP.
Well done for making the decision and for posting it. A few tips;
Walking is great, try and do 30 minutes a day (even if in blocks of 10)
Add some light jogging after a week or so, even if for a few 100 yards at first.
Resistance training is by far the best way to lose weight as you continue to burn calories the next day as the muscles repair and you don't have to really push it too hard at first. Plenty of resources on youtube.
Avoid alcohol completely if you can. The empty calories in alcohol will be stored as fat. (2 pints = aprox 500 cals)
1lb of body fat = 3.500 calories. Reduce by 500 a day you lose a lb a week.

Good luck and keep us posted

Without wishing to derail this thread I’m also a convert to Pilates (I never thought I’d say that!) it’s not weight related but Pilates has really helped with me with Sciatica and Patella Femoral issues, and general well being.
Someone recommended Yoga and Pilates to me a long time ago and I took both up properly 4 or 5 years ago . Since doing it, I have regained flexibility that I thought had long since gone and after a day sitting at a desk, my body doesn't feel stiff as a board.

It can be an ego buster when you think you are flexible and see people of all shapes and sizes bend down and put their hands under their feet as the are so flexible. ?

Someone recommended Yoga and Pilates to me a long time ago and I took both up properly 4 or 5 years ago . Since doing it, I have regained flexibility that I thought had long since gone and after a day sitting at a desk, my body doesn't feel stiff as a board.

It can be an ego buster when you think you are flexible and see people of all shapes and sizes bend down and put their hands under their feet as the are so flexible. ?

I’ve been going to Pilates classes for nearly 2 years now, I was recommended it by 3 different people, all medics.

I was a bit apprehensive to begin with especially when I was initially the only male in the class:oops:, didn’t know which way to look at first!?

I appreciate it might not be for everyone, but it’s certainly helped me.

Great thread this.
I’m pleased with my weight 12st 8lbs at 5ft 10in
I play badminton regularly each week and have taken easily to 8000 steps a day. I can easily add 6000 playing badminton for 90 minuted.
We have both easily adapted to a semi vegetarian diet, which has been relatively easy. Some of the dishes are not really to our liking but it is worth experimenting. I gave up everything related to pork four years ago. We won’t eat processed food like ham, sausages, minced beef etc
We eat plenty of fruit and vegetables.
Cooking food from frozen or fresh is certainly a good objective.
I drink more water now than before. A litre is good generally in sips.
The only challenge is staying off alcohol. Yesterday we walked into town..it was a hot day and we ended up drinking two pints of Morreti and staying at the pub for dinner.
We keep regular checks on blood pressure and try to set achievable targets.
And by the way we have taken readily to Bournville Plain Chocolate which is supposed to be good for you...in moderation but we sometimes forget that

Great to see so many replies on this and some really good suggestions too.

Decent first day on the health kick, stayed 200 or so calories under my target without feeling hungry. Being busy at work helped as there was no time to think about snacking so I'll look to keep busy I think. Eating almost became something to do when bored.

I've downloaded My Fitness Pal to help keep track of the calories, really like the barcode scanner. I've also purchased some half decent running shoes and I've commandeered my wife's old Samsung Gear fit watch to track steps and Strava to track distances and times when I start the couch to 5k.

Quite looking forward to this health kick now and seeing what happens!

Cutting down on booze is definitely a key factor: for the calories it contains, for the decisions it makes for you about eating bad food, and for the fact that it stops you from choosing to do something more active instead. I’m still coming to terms with the fact that I feel physically and mentally better if I stay off the alcohol. It’s really insidious how your body and brain can tell you “you’ll really enjoy that pint ... and a couple more” when you logically know you’ll feel better in the long run without. I spent lots of time trying to decide if I was a “habitual drinker” or if that just means “alcoholic”, but I’m fairly happy that I can actually usually decide not to have a drink. One thing that helped was a comment I read on a forum from someone who kept drinking despite some serious atrial fibrillation - he said most of the time he knew he shouldn’t but “alcohol is a good liar”.

@Essexyellows is a big Park Runner

Oi!!!
The idea is I become "less big" !! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

OK, time to fess up...... about a year ago myself & Mrs EY were sat on the sofa one Friday evening and she said "I`ve signed up to volunteer for Parkrun".
I said.......... "OK, I`ll run it".

53 years old, 16+ stone and struggled to run for the bus, bad diet, too many soft spots.... (beer,cheese, beer,crisps,beer,kebabs,beer...you get the idea).

The first one was, with hindsight, a very,very bad idea. "Couch to 5k" should be over time, not overnight!! :ROFLMAO:

Took me about three days to recover, however I wasn`t last (nobody is at Parkrun....and it isn`t a race). 35 min 43 secs was my first one.

Fast forward 12 months & I`m down to a bit over 14 stone and averaging 30 minutes with a PB of 28min 13 secs.

We are also training for the Macmillan Mighty Hike, 26.2 miles along the Thames Path in July.

I`ve always struggled with weight but it really is as simple as eat less, eat well, move more.

I can`t recommend Parkrun enough, every Saturday 9.00am, you can just turn up do it & go home or you can volunteer as a marshal or both. It is a great community thing for anyone and is 100% inclusive. Folk bring pushchairs, dogs, kids etc and join in. Even fits in with most football weekends as you can be done by 9.30 and off to the pub.. ???

Good luck to you all!!

It is a good time to stop alcohol now with the hot weather coming.
Lots of water.
Never like cola as it does lasting damage but also affects teeth and general health.
Didn’t realise how bad ice cream is till recently and there are plenty of healthy alternatives.
Nice drink I’ve found is turmeric tea

I'm no expert, but weight and age has to be taken into consideration when doing an impact movement like running, with age if you are not used to running the joints can take some pounding.
Watch you calorie intake against what you burn a day, if you can get your metabolism up which is harder with age, you then can balance your calorie intake up a bit, cardio is good but I prefer weight training to keep my weight down (not weight so much but a healthier body), there are a lot of options out there, pick one that suits you and make it a life style change, support from family and friends help.
A fit bit watch has an excellent app to help you, it gives steps, calorie burn, sleep etc and this helps with keeping you focused.
It can be really satisfying seeing the weight come off, as has been said don't get hung up if you have a blip keep on going.

I found milk to be my weight gainer, I had a big bowl of cereal in the morning and a glass in the evening with my dinner. I stopped that and changed to boiled eggs and toast, jumped on the bike and rode the 7miles to work, I’m on my feet and probably walk miles but in a certain area every day, then 7 miles home. I’ve lost over 1.5 stone without really doing anything.

Back
Top Bottom