We have to be creative?

In fairness, they tried last summer, alongside Juan Sartori who is now going to be a backer at Sunderland. What is going on up there is what they tried to do here. A certain Mr Eales didn't want to sell to them and that was that, so I think it's unfair for people to refer to Stewart in particular as a 'so called fan'. He put in plenty of money in the past when we needed it most, helping to fund players to get us back into the Football League and then funding others so that we could remain stable and mildly competitive in League Two, and that is in addition to his sponsorship of the club for a time. It's all good and well for people to have a cry because somebody took their money elsewhere, but I think it's awfully easy to talk about how non-committed somebody else is when they aren't the ones who have pumped in the amount of money he did. His party was rejected last summer, and that's not the first time he's tried to get more involved only to run into a wall over the years. If you have a problem with the fact that Stewart has ended up in the north east, take it up with our former Chairman. Anyhow, the bid was rejected in the best interests of the club, so we should be glad it didn't happen anyway, right? We don't want their money, because DE said it would have been bad and naughty. Yeah?

I'm keen to keep this Sunderland rubbish off the forum as well, but I'm also quite keen to keep other rubbish off too, such as people accusing others of not being proper fans when if it hadn't been for their help in the past we may not have a club at all.

So SD has tried twice to buy the club and both owners decided his offers were not up to scratch.
Why didn’t IL sell SD the club? Wasn’t it his bid if it happened that wasn’t good enough.
Then Santori put in a bid and that wasn’t up to scratch, but SD was also behind it, surprised between them they never had the resources or determination to follow their bid through, money talks, no such problem of funds up north.
SD and family has funded players and sponsorships over the years but didnt the riff between him and DE bring that to an end and getting some of his money back.
It seems he’s spent far more on Eastleigh and now SAFC and the rumours of stuff up the road, but he’s failed twice to buy the club he supports,
I think his heart would of lead his head if he did have the determination to buy the club so might not be the best business model.

Last edited:
yes I do.

Now i'm intrigued. So you're saying that DE decided not to sell to Sartori because of Charlie's involvement in the deal?? And this is what Charlie has become so bitter about?

And so DE's conclusion was that it was in OUFC's interests to sell to a Thai businessman with a prior affiliation to Reading rather than 2 dyed in the wool OUFC fans (CM and SD) along with some financial muscle in the background in the form of Sartori.

That's some bold decision, i'll give DE that.

Genuine question - setting aside your allegiances to DE. Does your gut really tell you that selling to Tiger is in our best interests?

From the Oxvox minutes: Eales "The leakage of information and the lack of progress in discussions led me to believe that a deal would not be consummated and, hence, in the best interests of OUFC, I felt it best to end our very amicable discussions as the speculation was unhelpful and distracting at an important time for the club."

So depending on whose side you want to take, either Eales got greedy and wanted more money for the valuable assets such as player transfer fees and valuations and also past investment, or Donald / Sartori got greedy and wouldn't pay as much as Tiger was offering.

Mark, the answer's in the quote. Eales rejected the agreed offer from Sartori at the due diligence stage after a price was agreed (analogously the 'subject to contracts' period). If Tiger was involved at that time he put in a higher offer, perhaps Sartori was asked to raise his bid and refused - but that's not 'getting greedy', that's being gazumped.

Mark, the answer's in the quote. Eales rejected the agreed offer from Sartori at the due diligence stage after a price was agreed (analogously the 'subject to contracts' period). If Tiger was involved at that time he put in a higher offer, perhaps Sartori was asked to raise his bid and refused - but that's not 'getting greedy', that's being gazumped.

But was this in the best interest for the club which DE said it was?

That's not the amount they have invested in SAFC.
Question for you Baz, if they had that much money to throw around, what stopped them spending the extra £1m to up their bid to buy the club?
It’s what was reported I know they’ve got a parachute Payment of 35 million but not sure how much is going to the previous owner

It’s what was reported I know they’ve got a parachute Payment of 35 million but not sure how much is going to the previous owner
That figure you quoted "they" gave SAFC as a budget is wrong.

Any thoughts on my question?

Ffs how many times does it have to be said. Continuing to pursue a deal when it wasn’t close wasn’t ITBOTC . Not who would be a better owner. Which still remains to be seen.

Now i'm intrigued. So you're saying that DE decided not to sell to Sartori because of Charlie's involvement in the deal?? And this is what Charlie has become so bitter about?

And so DE's conclusion was that it was in OUFC's interests to sell to a Thai businessman with a prior affiliation to Reading rather than 2 dyed in the wool OUFC fans (CM and SD) along with some financial muscle in the background in the form of Sartori.

That's some bold decision, i'll give DE that.

Genuine question - setting aside your allegiances to DE. Does your gut really tell you that selling to Tiger is in our best interests?

I have no allegiances towards Eales, I’ve never met him or spoken to him!

Time will tell but I believe tiger is a better option than an option which was never possible.

Ffs how many times does it have to be said. Continuing to pursue a deal when it wasn’t close wasn’t ITBOTC . Not who would be a better owner. Which still remains to be seen.
Thank you for making this point. I can't believe how often this gets lost in all the point scoring rubbish!!

Yep you are right, only time will give us the answer. I’m a non believer currently but I would love to be proved wrong. The appointment of Derry and some of the behind the scenes appointments gives me something to be hopeful about. I just struggle believing that Tiger has more funds at his disposal than DE did/does. We could just be a short term fling for Tiger rather than proper marriage material!

Yep you are right, only time will give us the answer. I’m a non believer currently but I would love to be proved wrong. The appointment of Derry and some of the behind the scenes appointments gives me something to be hopeful about. I just struggle believing that Tiger has more funds at his disposal than DE did/does. We could just be a short term fling for Tiger rather than proper marriage material!

I’d say that based on the shirt deal and the sponsor that Tiger’s time will be 2 years max, so promotion next year if not the following, then god knows.

If we were a short term case of aim for promotion and then sell, then we'd be putting our money into transfers. There's not much from Tiger to gain by funding the training complex and an U23 team unless he's in it for the long haul.

I also don't know how his personal wealth stacks up compared to DE, but he's probably better placed to secure global funding from investors.

Back
Top Bottom