We have to be creative?

Ox4Eva

Just read the latest article from the OM where KR said we would not be spending £400k or £500k on anyone. There would be a need to be creative with deals which I can understand.

It did say that any deals will be run by Tiger on a case by case basis, but i thought there had been a long meeting to agree a transfer budget already?

Not sure what to make of this.

I’m always a bit nervous when managers etc make statements like we’re going to get our business done early and then don’t.

Edit: Thinking about it. We know players and agents are very mercenary. Even if you think about it from you’re own perspective it doesn’t work.
You’re offered 2 jobs by 2 different companies both playing similar money.
Company one will pay you 500k per year whether your sick, crap at your job or the company is doing badly.
Company two will pay you 100k per year but only if the rest of the workers are good at their jobs, you don’t fall ill and the company does better than most of the other companies in the same sector. All of which you have no direct control over. So you might get 500k or you might get 100k.

I know which job I’d accept and I think the players and agents will too.

Last edited:
This seems like another oxmail story for the sake of writing stories to be honest. Slow news week.

We won’t be spending 400-500k on players . Right ok well we’ve only ever done that twice in our entire history so not exactly ground breaking news that.

We’re going to have to be creative, oh what and sign young relatively untried players on model for fairly small fees, like

Lunny
Branagan
Ledson
Dickie
Rothwell
Nelson
Roofe

Yes it does seem like a bit of rowing back. Agents and players asking for too much? I hope I'm wrong but the initial excitement of early signings seems to be fading and the mention of a 31-year-old goes against what I thought was a policy of signing young, hungry players.

If you were a good player you wouldn't commit to anything strait away would you until all the offers were on the table and considered because you don't have to. We have this every summer but as contracts don't end until the end of June everything goes quiet until later part of the month. I would expect a very busy last week of June.

Unless my memory is wrong I am sure KR said that he had spent hours in a meeting with Tiger agreeing the transfer budget?

I am certainly not expecting us to spend silly money but that seems like backtracking to me..

What if they agreed in the budget meeting that they wouldn’t be spending 400-500k on players ?

What if they agreed in the budget meeting that they wouldn’t be spending 400-500k on players ?

That would be expected i reckon, but not having to run target's past Tiger on a case by case basis..

That’s not agreeing the budget. And why not come out and say that after the meeting.

It appears that the goal posts have moved which we all know caused us a problem last season, and that’s without them moving!

well given Eastwood was meant to have signed having either seen or been told the calibre of players we are targeting then one assumes that amongst them there were "gems" that were either going to command a fee or be fairly high wage earners?

Spot on . We could even sign 10 @ 250k [emoji16]

Believe when I see it.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to see us spending silly money or money at all if we don’t have to, that goes without saying, but again, fairly strange comments from KR a few weeks after his initial comments.

Appleton came out and said the same things every summer. “Want most of our deals done by May” “won’t be spending large fees” that didn’t work out to bad did it. And we then went and spent a record transfer fee on Johnson.

It’s talking about being clever like with roofe, agreeing a decent fee but on sale not up front, or larger sell ons. It’s meant we have got some very good players in the last few years without spending big.

People are getting worked up by not spending big on one player.

We spent 250k on Nelson, thats being clever.

Appleton came out and said the same things every summer. “Want most of our deals done by May” “won’t be spending large fees” that didn’t work out to bad did it. And we then went and spent a record transfer fee on Johnson.

It’s talking about being clever like with roofe, agreeing a decent fee but on sale not up front, or larger sell ons. It’s meant we have got some very good players in the last few years without spending big.

People are getting worked up by not spending big on one player.

We spent 250k on Nelson, thats being clever.

No, nobody is expecting us to spend big...

He means £400k-£500k on a single player, doesn't he?:We may get 3-4 in at a combined £650k though.

Wigan spent hardly anything on transfer fees let season and look at them.
Thats because they already had the basis of a very good team, although not to Championship level.

I have thought from day one that Tiger is full of bs, and actually doesn't have the money behind him. Nothing I have heard, or seen, since then makes me change my mind.....
Have you thought about all the improved off field infrastructure that's been created since Tiger has been here?
A bit of a harsh statement this early how longs the transfer window been open? lets wait until the transfer window closes and then judge on the squads potential.

Have you thought about all the improved off field infrastructure that's been created since Tiger has been here?
A bit of a harsh statement this early how longs the transfer window been open? lets wait until the transfer window closes and then judge on the squads potential.
Listen, I hope I am wrong. But the bloke came in with all sorts of grandiose statements, and set the bar pretty high. I think KR is a perfectly decent appointment but he is not a WOW appointment (whatever that was supposed to mean). And I know that we are in the close season etc., but if Tiger really had the funds, we would have gone out and signed (for example) Otzumer from Walsall, who is out of contract and is one of the best (if not the best) midfielders in L1. That would be a statement of intent- but instead all we have so far have a full back from King's Lynn.....if we have signed 4-5 really decent L1 players in the next few weeks, then I will be happy to say I was wrong. But so far, I smell a lot of bs and have seen not much else tbh.

Back
Top Bottom