We have to be creative?

I said on a different thread that I do find the slight change in KR comments etc. slightly concerning. I expect that the forthcoming off season period will answer quite a few questions/put to bed whether Tiger has the financial clout to have us competing in and around the play offs.

Either way come the start of the season we'll definitely have answers whether we like them or not.

I have far more faith in KR to find quality players at a reduced budget, however, Tiger is still an unknown quantity.

If we know we have a new owner so will clubs. They'll start trying their luck and inflating prices to see what they can get. Especially after the noises, Tiger was making when we came in. Why wouldn't they? I suspect if a new owner came in at another club, talked about being ambitious and then tried to sign one of our players this forum would be frothing at the mouth to drive the price higher.

Anyone who after all the initial excitement still believed Tiger was some sort of cash-rich sugar daddy who was going to be spending £££££££££ to get us up the leagues might need a reality check.

He came in saying suggesting certain things, probably because he was bloody excited to own a football club he see's as having potential and the language issue. I can forgive him for that, I'd be the same if I purchased a Thai club. He is ambitious and things do seem to be moving forward... I mean look at the changes off the pitch and away from the football. Baby steps but positives steps.

However, I understand the frustration at lack of movement on the field... We all want shiny new signings especially with players leaving and, well, our front line. But as far as I'm concerned it's a smart move by KR.

Hey, we have a new man in charge who has sad some ambitious and potentially silly things but actually, not a lot has changed. We're not Man City, we will pay what we can and not above.

Happy for KR to be creative. I have faith in the guy to deliver at this level - which isn't always about spending big.

Anyway, I can't bloody wait for us to sign Messi.

I would love for the club to come out an openly tell us how the transfer fees earned from Roofe, Johnson, O'Dowda, Lundstrum...etc over the past few years have been spent

This would give us an indication as to what proportion of the funds from the recent signings are to be allocated to the current playing budget.

saying i'm not spending £400k on a player doesn't mean anything, as the wages are worth more than that , as are % sell ons and agent fees etc....so the initial fee is irrelevent.

I appreciate KR's attempt at clarity and transparency, but you can't just show one piece of the puzzle - give him time, granted, but having the transfers all wrapped up and done early doors is looking less and less likely as the days pass with the squad travelling to Eire in only a few weeks.

I hope Samir Carruthers signs, but we desperately need some decent strikers if we're going to have any hope of competing in what i believe is going to be a more competitive league than last season (top 2 were basically wrapped up by xmas)

COYY

Very hard to make a judgement at this stage. Otzumer (to give just one example) has indicated his desire to play at a a higher level. I would be very surprised if he were prepared to sign for a L1 side on L1 wages at this stage of the transfer window. I agree all the 'non-news' news stories are thoroughly frustrating, but at the end of the day, I suspect at this stage there is a lot of posturing (on both sides), and players holding out for the best deal. Bear in mind that most of our best signings since returning to the league have met with puzzlement from fans (Rob Dickie, Ryan Ledson), and where we have splashed the cash, to the wild excitement of fans, the outcome has been less successful - Hemmings & Johnson.

Very hard to make a judgement at this stage. Otzumer (to give just one example) has indicated his desire to play at a a higher level. I would be very surprised if he were prepared to sign for a L1 side on L1 wages at this stage of the transfer window. I agree all the 'non-news' news stories are thoroughly frustrating, but at the end of the day, I suspect at this stage there is a lot of posturing (on both sides), and players holding out for the best deal. Bear in mind that most of our best signings since returning to the league have met with puzzlement from fans (Rob Dickie, Ryan Ledson), and where we have splashed the cash, to the wild excitement of fans, the outcome has been less successful - Hemmings & Johnson.

Tbf Johnson was a success and we made a shedload of profit on him. How he engineered his move was a letdown but utterly predictable based on what he had done in the past.

We are still in the phony war section of the close season. Players (and their agents) are trying to get the best (most lucrative/convenient) deals and clubs are trying to keep the prices down of those they want to buy and up of those they might sell. It's the same every year - the silver lining this year is that the transfer window doesn't go a month into the season proper. It would be very disappointing if we didn't make significant signings before the Ireland trip, and for me that is the first milestone.

But the bloke came in with all sorts of grandiose statements, and set the bar pretty high...........

Really? Such as?

........but if Tiger really had the funds, we would have gone out and signed (for example) Otzumer from Walsall, who is out of contract and is one of the best (if not the best) midfielders in L1.

Absurd example. You don't think Otzumer might have other offers? Walsall did the double over us last season and finished a short distance behind us - do you not think me might even consider other (apparently better*) clubs regardless of what we offered him?

Nothing the chairman said implied that we were going to be league 1 Galácticos.

*obviously no club actually is better.

Really? Such as?

Absurd example. You don't think Otzumer might have other offers? Walsall did the double over us last season and finished a short distance behind us - do you not think me might even consider other (apparently better*) clubs regardless of what we offered him?

Nothing the chairman said implied that we were going to be league 1 Galácticos.

*obviously no club actually is better.
Nope. He will go where the money is. Like 90% of professional footballers

Have you thought about all the improved off field infrastructure that's been created since Tiger has been here?
A bit of a harsh statement this early how longs the transfer window been open? lets wait until the transfer window closes and then judge on the squads potential.

What is that then? Not a dig just naively wondering....

To be honest I don’t care how much a player costs it’s how all the various players play in a team that matters. We didn’t spend above 250k on any player but put together a promotion winning team in the summer of 2015.

It’s not about the money, it’s about KR’s initial aspirations in dealing with the transfer market to the one he’s come out with today!

If he’d originally said, we’re going to take our time to ensure we get the right players for our club, not going to spend silly money which means we need to be creative, then today’s comments wound just echo those origin words, but they’re not.

So either KR’s original way that he wanted to conduct himself during the transfer dealings have shifted or he’s received a different message from Tiger since their initial transfer discussion or most likely he didn’t understand Tiger’s plan.

Whichever way you look at it something has shifted which may have nothing to do with money, but probably does.

To be honest I don’t care how much a player costs it’s how all the various players play in a team that matters. We didn’t spend above 250k on any player but put together a promotion winning team in the summer of 2015.

It’s not about the money, it’s about KR’s initial aspirations in dealing with the transfer market to the one he’s come out with today!

If he’d originally said, we’re going to take our time to ensure we get the right players for our club, not going to spend silly money which means we need to be creative, then today’s comments wound just echo those origin words, but they’re not.

So either KR’s original way that he wanted to conduct himself during the transfer dealings have shifted or he’s received a different message from Tiger since their initial transfer discussion or most likely he didn’t understand Tiger’s plan.

Whichever way you look at it something has shifted which may have nothing to do with money, but probably does.

Where did he say originally that we were going to spend money, or be able to spend 400-500k on a player then. If his approach has shifted u will be able to point me to that article.

The only thing I can see is he wanted most transfers done early, So far were 20 days in and have signed 2. But still a couple of weeks before preseason even starts. Which is also something mapp always said he wanted to do but never managed.

I don't think he has said he's necessarily going to spend money to be fair. I can't really remember the article but this one gives a fairly good example of some of the things being said;

http://www.banburycake.co.uk/sport/...ed__39_s_squad_plans_this_summer_will_excite/

Now I guess perhaps at the moment the thing Tiger is guilty of is perhaps not really managing expectations. When I hear the words 'wow, championship level' I kind of feel we're looking at more than players like Marshall or having to 'be creative' with getting players to sign.

We really won't know whether it's a case of slightly poor management of expectations (quite possibly due to Tiger not being a native English speaker/excitable fellow) or whether (as some fear) he's a bit of a fantasist who doesn't have the money to deliver what he promises.

I don't think he has said he's necessarily going to spend money to be fair. I can't really remember the article but this one gives a fairly good example of some of the things being said;

http://www.banburycake.co.uk/sport/...ed__39_s_squad_plans_this_summer_will_excite/

Now I guess perhaps at the moment the thing Tiger is guilty of is perhaps not really managing expectations. When I hear the words 'wow, championship level' I kind of feel we're looking at more than players like Marshall or having to 'be creative' with getting players to sign.

We really won't know whether it's a case of slightly poor management of expectations (quite possibly due to Tiger not being a native English speaker/excitable fellow) or whether (as some fear) he's a bit of a fantasist who doesn't have the money to deliver what he promises.

I think that’s a fairer assessment. One mans wow signing is another’s disappointment. And the language barrier and managing fan expectations is something to be considered. I just really don’t see a change in direction, mostly because we weren’t really given a direction to start with. I don’t think from day one I’ve seen him or kr say were are going to spend big, I don’t think they have even specific like Darryl was on where our budget will sit in terms of others this season. Not many other clubs are signing loads of players so it’s not like we’re missing out and getting left behind. Every story is being taken with a slightly negative view at the min, all most like some are expecting or hoping for things to go wrong. They still might, but I think it’s still way to early to start reading into these sort of stories that we won’t be spending any money and won’t be able to field an 11 come August

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not sure why anyone would think we are going to be spending 300k plus on a player. Tiger hasn’t paid off DE yet.

I’m not sure why anyone would think we are going to be spending 300k plus on a player. Tiger hasn’t paid off DE yet.

Sunderland haven’t paid Ellis short a penny yet either. Does that mean they won’t spend any money ?

Some of the negativity from some people is embarrassing it’s about getting players that are good value like Roofe, Lundtrum, Ledson or Nelson and making them better players that counts for me. As I said earlier remember 2015-16 season was done without spending loads on transfers. Villa could be a classic example of going for it and not succeeding.

Some of the negativity from some people is embarrassing it’s about getting players that are good value like Roofe, Lundtrum, Ledson or Nelson and making them better players that counts for me. As I said earlier remember 2015-16 season was done without spending loads on transfers. Villa could be a classic example of going for it and not succeeding.

I assumed most had in-depth knowledge and lots of experience in football and those that don't do at a high-performance level in another team sport...

Back
Top Bottom