Away Match Day Thread We+++ 28/8/18 Newport County v OUFC Carabao Cup matchday thread +++

What time and where is the draw on Thursday?
To be honest I think it could have been a red so i doubt that will be overturned. It was a clubsy stampy (going for the ball though) challenge which is likely to cause the ref to consider a red card and therefore a bit silly by hanson. Something he and lego seems to have in them (as shown last night) but the best players don't make these challenges because they don't need to be made in that way.

Tbf to Hanson, it looks like his tackling foot was on the ground before the Newport player even got there.

The comment you linked to was, "But you cocked it up tonight Mike against a bunch of second rate cloggers with the exception of Baptiste who is a lad who is going places ".

Hilariously, they seem to think they are something special.
So Whyte is a second rate clogger? OK.

Just seen the highlights. A really spectacular goal from Shandon Baptiste, so well set up and rifled in. As for the red card, just cannot see it at all. I was expecting to see a really clear stamping but there is nothing of the sort. The ref was definitely pressured by the Newport players.

Having looked at the highlights I am at a loss as to why Hanson was red carded :mad: Are 50-50 tackles to be outlawed??
Yes is the current answer or at least if there is any lack of control and tbf both players fell over after the tackle. Look it isn't the worst challenge ever but in the scheme of things against a player he has had a recent run in with you either break the legs Roy keane style and make a red card worth it or not make the challenge in that way. There certainly wasn't 100% control and the Newport players showed exactly what they thought about it.

Noticed on Twitter that Shandon Baptiste wants his shirt back.

Edit - And no longer required...

Just watched it a couple of times, to me at the angle sky sports are filming he tried to be clever and do a toe flick over the attacking players foot as it came in, his foot was flat at the time of the collision. Looks more like a foul on Hanson! if anything....

I can see from the refs point of view because he is looking straight down the line of Hanson's leg so he caught the foot up which it was not when they tangled. Newport's players crowding the Ref did not help the situation..

Hopefully common sense prevails....

I have looked at it as closely as is possible and I just see a fully commited challenge by 2 players. If that is a red and consistency is applied, (unlikely I know), then games will become 7 a side. Brilliant goal by Shandon sort of makes up for an unlikely successful appeal. Also highlights one of my many pet hates in this game and that is player behaviour such as waving imaginary cards and crowding the ref. Wouldn't do it if I was in charge, well not again.

We must appeal that though it does help KR to fit Baptiste in which he surely will do

If hanson had laid on the ground beating the turf in agony the other player would have been sent off which would have been a fairer decision

Will we have a decision on Hanson's red card appeal before Saturday? If not, Will he be eligible to play against Sunderland?

Will we have a decision on Hanson's red card appeal before Saturday? If not, Will he be eligible to play against Sunderland?

I thought appeals are heard in n a Thursday so hopefully we should hear today, at the moment he isn’t allowed as his ban starts I believe on the first Saturday after the red card.

Just watched it a couple of times, to me at the angle sky sports are filming he tried to be clever and do a toe flick over the attacking players foot as it came in, his foot was flat at the time of the collision. Looks more like a foul on Hanson! if anything....

I can see from the refs point of view because he is looking straight down the line of Hanson's leg so he caught the foot up which it was not when they tangled. Newport's players crowding the Ref did not help the situation..

Hopefully common sense prevails....
If a panel of football experts look at that and don’t at least reduce it to a yellow then no decision should ever be overturned. I don’t think I’ve seen a more obvious error, except perhaps mistaken identity.
The ref should have already come out and said he was wrong!
What I don’t get is why it’s such an issue to get a wrong decision overturned? Players, coaches, managers, fans and yes even refs make mistakes so let’s just accept that and get on with it. The appeals process is there precisely for this type of incident. Do the right thing please FA!

If a panel of football experts look at that and don’t at least reduce it to a yellow then no decision should ever be overturned. I don’t think I’ve seen a more obvious error, except perhaps mistaken identity.
The ref should have already come out and said he was wrong!
What I don’t get is why it’s such an issue to get a wrong decision overturned? Players, coaches, managers, fans and yes even refs make mistakes so let’s just accept that and get on with it. The appeals process is there precisely for this type of incident. Do the right thing please FA!
As you say why doesn't the ref simply admit that it was the wrong decision?
Surely he can't say Hanson gets red and the Newport player nothing?

Just seen the highlights. A really spectacular goal from Shandon Baptiste, so well set up and rifled in. As for the red card, just cannot see it at all. I was expecting to see a really clear stamping but there is nothing of the sort. The ref was definitely pressured by the Newport players.

...as well as the (as always at Newport) partisan and very vocal home supporters

Back
Top Bottom