Away Match Day Thread We+++ 28/8/18 Newport County v OUFC Carabao Cup matchday thread +++

It's a proper competition so unfortunately it can be served in the league.

I’ve watched the replay several times (even in slow mo) and if Hanson’s red card doesn’t get over turned then there’s absolutely not point in appeals to the FA.
It’s a 55/45 in favour of Hanson who gets there first and plays the ball. Then the Newport player a millisecond after kicks Hanson’s standing foot.
It’s actually a foul on Hanson. At first I thought the Newport player would get booked!
Terrible decision by the referee!

Just saw the highlights 5/6 times. Not a red for me. Thought Hanson played the ball. Knowing the powers that be, it won’t be overturned.

Sounds like a very harsh red. Oxford don’t usually appeal but I hope they do. I too was impressed by the Whyte signing and expect good thing s this season from him
Hanson will prove to be an astute purchase too

Really pleased that we got a win, and quite a comfortable one at that. The players should take confidence from it, and hopefully carry it on to the league. Here's hoping for a big away day in the next round.

I've been really impressed with Baptiste so far this season. He's put in some very mature performances.

That is simply never a red card challenge by Hanson. He won the ball without being reckless or going over it. Should be overturned, but won't.

COYY

To be honest I think it could have been a red so i doubt that will be overturned. It was a clubsy stampy (going for the ball though) challenge which is likely to cause the ref to consider a red card and therefore a bit silly by hanson. Something he and lego seems to have in them (as shown last night) but the best players don't make these challenges because they don't need to be made in that way.

It’s not clear enough NOT to be a red card, so the referee will get support. He’s wrong but no way this will be overturned.

Lovely stuff from Baptiste.

Garbutt with a few assists...how did he play overall? Better with Mousinho in the back 4 talking him through it?

The card decision made me draw comparison with F1 incidents (bear with me!) Investigation follows an incident and then a decision may follow that announces a "racing incident". As in, it was something that happens when cars race. The incident with Hanson is a typical 2 player one ball both going for it, type of incident. The video is less than flattering for Hanson but, clearly not a red. Very difficult for the official in the heat of the moment to say either way and in this instance he probably was swayed by the "life threatening" injury to the County player and the immediate indignation of the other County players. It's poor from the official if he based his decision on that influence but, as others have said, unlikely that it will be overturned.
VAR would help but that isn't going to happen very soon!

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sp...f-carabao-cup-to-10-men-oxford-united/?ref=ar

Just got up - a good win against an in form opponent who never gave up but were rather route one and very physical in their approach.
Not sure many teams will leave Rodney Parade this season with three points. Flynn looks to be doing a good job with limited resources.
Newport reminded me of yesteryear battles at Wycombe and Stevenage - big diagonals and competing for the seconds.

Many decent performances for Oxford - Baptiste is going to be a very good player. He glides past people and his goal was sublime.
There is a remark about him in the comments section of the above match report , the writer states Baptiste: a boy going places!
He gave everything last night and was shattered at the end. Thought Full backs Norman and Garbutt were excellent
and Gavin Whyte always a threat with his seering pace on the counter.Cam Norman is big, strong, athletic and confident.

Newport are bang in form at home, fifth in the league and had not reached round three of the League Cup since 1962
but could only muster around 2,000 supporters. The city of Newport has a population of more than 150,000 and the
Cardiff/Newport metropolitan area more than 1.1m.

I winced when Jamie “bruiser” Hanson went in for that tackle. He may have been unlucky to see red last night from our angle
but he had to challenge for it with Semenyo and both got hurt. I thought the referee was poor all night and was heavily
influenced by their small but vociferous crowd. Thought Hanson played pretty well and did a lot of muck and nettles stuff
and won a lot in the air. He likes a big tackle though and I think many refs will have his card marked !

I cannot see the red being overturned unless the club can rustle up some other evidence from another angle. The FA always look after their own and I don't recall us ever having a red card overturned!

The way it was described on the radio was a lot more fruity than it was on the highlights - but it's fair to comment that at different angles, it looked awful or tame. I can imagine what annoyed KR was the other similar tackles that were not treated in the same way.

The phrase, muck and nettles stuff doesn't get used enough when describing a player's performance IMO.

Well, we looked pretty good last night. We now could draw a massive club in the next round
We look to Sunderland next and, if we can get something there, our season is well and truly on the up.

Just watched the highlights and when I saw Hanson's tackle I didn't even realise it was the red card incident! It just doesn't look like a foul, let alone a bad one. As others have said, he just toe-pokes the ball away and the Newport player clatters into him. Very strange decision.

We want a low ranked side at home, or a monster home or away! That’s all you can ask.
I'd rather have a big club at home. If we get drawn away to one of the big boys it will be pretty rubbish playing in a big stadium that will be two thirds empty. At least if we're at home it would be a full house and likely on the TV too for extra cash.

Interesting to note that Hanson had some previous with the Newport player he went in on. He had a go at him for diving for their penalty appeal. Shouldn’t make any difference but may have also influenced the ref.

No but remember Beano's sending off at AFCW? It was never a red card and we of course lost the appeal after the linesmen backed up the referee.
No but remember Beano's sending off at AFCW? It was never a red card and we of course lost the appeal after the linesmen backed up the referee.
If my memory serves me right the AFCW player went down holding his left side of his face yet when Beano went up he was on the right side of him, cheating c**t.

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sp...f-carabao-cup-to-10-men-oxford-united/?ref=ar

Just got up - a good win against an in form opponent who never gave up but were rather route one and very physical in their approach.
Not sure many teams will leave Rodney Parade this season with three points. Flynn looks to be doing a good job with limited resources.
Newport reminded me of yesteryear battles at Wycombe and Stevenage - big diagonals and competing for the seconds.

Many decent performances for Oxford - Baptiste is going to be a very good player. He glides past people and his goal was sublime.
There is a remark about him in the comments section of the above match report , the writer states Baptiste: a boy going places!
He gave everything last night and was shattered at the end. Thought Full backs Norman and Garbutt were excellent
and Gavin Whyte always a threat with his seering pace on the counter.Cam Norman is big, strong, athletic and confident.

Newport are bang in form at home, fifth in the league and had not reached round three of the League Cup since 1962
but could only muster around 2,000 supporters. The city of Newport has a population of more than 150,000 and the
Cardiff/Newport metropolitan area more than 1.1m.

I winced when Jamie “bruiser” Hanson went in for that tackle. He may have been unlucky to see red last night from our angle
but he had to challenge for it with Semenyo and both got hurt. I thought the referee was poor all night and was heavily
influenced by their small but vociferous crowd. Thought Hanson played pretty well and did a lot of muck and nettles stuff
and won a lot in the air. He likes a big tackle though and I think many refs will have his card marked !

The comment you linked to was, "But you cocked it up tonight Mike against a bunch of second rate cloggers with the exception of Baptiste who is a lad who is going places ".

Hilariously, they seem to think they are something special.

Back
Top Bottom