EPL Watford - Are they taking the mickey?

Marked Ox

God like member

This is outrageous as far as I am concerned, they have paid for that seat and whilst I get the reasoning it doesn't make it right. If anything this will probably reduce season ticket sales next year, probably significantly even if they don't get relegated.

I believe Arsenal have a system where if you’re unable to attend a match, you can choose to sell your seat and recoup some cash. I believe the club take a little bit as well, but it’s optional and the supporter gets money back for a seat they paid good money for.

Watford’s tactics here are a shining example of how not to treat a supporter base. I’m surprised it’s even legal to be honest.

I can get the point with clubs were demand for tickets is high. I know a couple of Watford fans who have been season ticket holders for 30+ years and go to every game (up and down the leagues). They are surrounded at the big games but were almost alone at games like Huddersfield last year.

Their kids are at uni so don't get the chance to go to many games, but if around, they would go regardless of the opposition. It's crazy that they miss out while loads of seats remain empty.

As any resale money goes into the clubs community trust, I can't see why genuine fans wouldn't be understanding? If you can't go, let someone else go and benefit the wider community. The ones that will be upset are those who are only interested in the glamour games and will be gone the moment the PL journey ends.

Jump forward 5 years, and we could be in the same boat. Imagine getting to the PL only to find that you were priced out of a season ticket by people only wanting to watch Oxford against Man United?

As for legality, just state that the season ticket entitles you to a reserved seat that needs to be confirmed 72 hours before kick off. Genuine fans will get this and it will only be the isolated few that go crying to the Sun!

As for legality, just state that the season ticket entitles you to a reserved seat that needs to be confirmed 72 hours before kick off. Genuine fans will get this and it will only be the isolated few that go crying to the Sun!
I don't get that argument. Let's say that 72 hours before I announce that, due to other commitments, I shall not be attending. Then 12 hours before, circumstances change and I can attend. Tough, my pre-paid seat has been sold to someone else and, no I will not be reimbursed for that cost and that's that. I don't think so.
The customer has entered into a contract with the club to have use of a seat at all games so indicated in that contract. That's that. I would suspect that the sale of goods act, which includes services, might well have some validity here.
The whole point being that I have made a financial commitment to the club, in advance, for the use of a seat. To say that it is perfectly fair for the club to sell that same seat twice, three times or more simply because I cannot, or do not wish, to attend is irrelevant.
Perhaps Watford ought to consider whether what they are offering to their season ticket holders is value for money entertainment? If so many season ticket holders are not attending, ask them why not?

The circumstances you described would be fairly rare, whereas the situation where season tickets are only used for the 'glory' games happens week in week out at clubs like Watford. This means that genuine fans miss out, and whilst I understand that this is far from ideal, it at least gives the opportunity to fill ever seat at every game.

The circumstances you described would be fairly rare, whereas the situation where season tickets are only used for the 'glory' games happens week in week out at clubs like Watford. This means that genuine fans miss out, and whilst I understand that this is far from ideal, it at least gives the opportunity to fill ever seat at every game.
I understand where you are coming from but, it simply would not be fair to have a policy in place whereby any company could retail an allocated, pre-paid commodity on the basis that it could re-sell that commodity (which in part it no longer owns) I also doubt that it would be legal.
And, to say that "genuine fans" miss out, is a total misnomer. Those genuine fans could also have purchased a season ticket.
The principal of allowing someone else to occupy a seat that is available due to the non-attendance of the holder of that seat is all fine and well but to potentially penalise the "genuine fan" who paid up front is wrong. I have in the past "lent" my season ticket to a friend who wished to have a colleague attend a game, I had no issue with that. Although, in the true sense I cost the club the income from selling a seat. Perhaps the model referred to at Arsenal might be a solution. At least they are fair in recompensing the seat holder who may be unable to attend. An upfront agreed transaction rather than an arbitrary penalty.

I would repeat that, Watford need to look at what they offering and why so many season ticket holders lack the conviction to attend despite having pre-paid.

My concern is that you could have a family of 4 who could be season ticket holders for under £1000 a year, and could justify this cost instead of a family holiday for example. Roll on a few years, and Oxford could be a PL league side. Demand for tickets is so great, that the cost of season tickets doubles or triples, pricing this family out of going and would jump at the chance to go to any game if tickets became available. But some of those who can afford those tickets only want to go to the glamour games, leaving the place half empty for a wet Tuesday night against Brighton. Those genuine fans who go through thick and thin would go to these games or would respect the club redistributing these tickets if unable to go (with money being used to fund community projects). Or they would have the option to do as you do and let others use your tickets.

Do you think many would rather see these seats left empty?

My concern is that you could have a family of 4 who could be season ticket holders for under £1000 a year, and could justify this cost instead of a family holiday for example. Roll on a few years, and Oxford could be a PL league side. Demand for tickets is so great, that the cost of season tickets doubles or triples, pricing this family out of going and would jump at the chance to go to any game if tickets became available. But some of those who can afford those tickets only want to go to the glamour games, leaving the place half empty for a wet Tuesday night against Brighton. Those genuine fans who go through thick and thin would go to these games or would respect the club redistributing these tickets if unable to go (with money being used to fund community projects). Or they would have the option to do as you do and let others use your tickets.

Do you think many would rather see these seats left empty?

Then as said use the Arsenal model and the family of 4 can go to those games.

Then as said use the Arsenal model and the family of 4 can go to those games.
That just allows those with enough money to get access to the big games and get their money back from the smaller ones, which would encourage more to do it. Watford are not profiting from this arrangement as money goes back to the community. It simply frees up seats that would otherwise be left empty.

The article is from one disgruntled 'fan'. I really don't think it's a major issue for 99% of those who get a season ticket to go to every game rather than cherry picking when they go.

That just allows those with enough money to get access to the big games and get their money back from the smaller ones, which would encourage more to do it. Watford are not profiting from this arrangement as money goes back to the community. It simply frees up seats that would otherwise be left empty.

The article is from one disgruntled 'fan'. I really don't think it's a major issue for 99% of those who get a season ticket to go to every game rather than cherry picking when they go.
If the 99% go to every game how come your mates have all these gaps around them at the lesser games

If the 99% go to every game how come your mates have all these gaps around them at the lesser games
I said it's not a major issue for those who get season tickets for the right reasons. The problem is with those who get a season ticket to go to the likes of Man United, Man City, Liverpool and the London clubs only.

Season ticket money is vital for this club and you are suggesting upsetting those people who buy them.

And if we got into the PL (or even Championship) ticket prices will go up so that family of 4 won't be able to afford them (following your example) anyway so the Arsenal model allows them to go. I have absolutely no problem with season ticket holders getting a bit of money back in this system. The club can still take a cut of the resale amount (as Arsenal do based on said what is said above) and give it to the Community scheme.

I said it's not a major issue for those who get season tickets for the right reasons. The problem is with those who get a season ticket to go to the likes of Man United, Man City, Liverpool and the London clubs only.
Until those getting season tickets for as you put it the "right reasons" (what a sanctimonious statement)have circumstances resulting their season ticket being withdrawn.

How do you define "get season tickets for the right reasons", what is the criteria? At what point and how does the club act?

I am sure that a club like Watford, who are in general, very fan and family orientated, would fully understand why someone is unable to go during periods of illness of difficult personal circumstances. And if these seats can be made available for others to take advantage of then all the better. They however, will be more aware of those who only miss the lesser ties leaving these seats empty. It will be these 'fans' that the club will look to turn away, if it ever came to that.

This isn't an attack on season ticket holders. This is a way to fill seats at games which would otherwise be significantly under capacity. Maybe it's me, but I'm struggling to see the problem here.

I am sure that a club like Watford, who are in general, very fan and family orientated, would fully understand why someone is unable to go during periods of illness of difficult personal circumstances. And if these seats can be made available for others to take advantage of then all the better. They however, will be more aware of those who only miss the lesser ties leaving these seats empty. It will be these 'fans' that the club will look to turn away, if it ever came to that.

This isn't an attack on season ticket holders. This is a way to fill seats at games which would otherwise be significantly under capacity. Maybe it's me, but I'm struggling to see the problem here.
It's you

Until those getting season tickets for as you put it the "right reasons" (what a sanctimonious statement)have circumstances resulting their season ticket being withdrawn.

I've given an example of those who get season tickets for the wrong reasons, so it's really not difficult to understand the difference between them and the vast majority of fans.

I doubt it somehow.
Well I hope you never have circumstances where you won't know whether you are going to be able to attend a game until you get in your car and then may be called back home then.

Back
Top Bottom