Matches was Wayne Rooney's Derby away

When a bigger club like them comes down from the Championship, you always wonder whether they're going to be another Blackburn or Hull (too good for the league), another Sunderland or Ipswich (think they're too good for the league, but actually bang average) or another 2020/21 Wigan or 2019/20 Bolton (financial basket case that's going to be just trying to finish out the season).

Regardless, it should be a cracking league again next year.
Not getting any easier, because Barnsley & Peterborough are going to be decent and know their way around this level, there's a bunch of good-sized clubs that are going to be hoping they sort it out next year (Ipswich, Bolton, Charlton, Pompey) and then four teams with 80+ points this season are going to be playing at this level again next year as well.

Still - should be fun.

And then Forest Green and an outside chance of Sutton United or Salford making the mix.

It’s why I rather enjoy League 1. Winners of the league twice and an FA Cup in Derby having to rock up at Accrington, Burton and Forest Green for a league fixture.

• React
Reactions: m
With Derby still being in Administration do they start next season with a points deduction?

With Derby still being in Administration do they start next season with a points deduction?

If the sale doesn't go through, should they start the season at all considering how much they owe and what happened to Bury?

I saw a Derby fan on Twitter saying he expected them to start on minus 15 points. No idea how accurate that is.

Can practically walk to Pride Park so hoping it falls on a good day.

Depends on the final terms of the takeover deal meeting the EFL's minimum requirements, something like 35p in the £1.
Any less and they'd be facing up to a 15 point deduction.

I expect them to be more like Hull and I think a reasonable number of their supporters (colleagues and the in-laws amongst others) are reasonably knowledgeable about how tough L1 can be. Rooney and his staff have their head's screwed on and his recruitment of freebies and promoting youth has been impressive this season. With an actual budget for next season, it will be very interesting to see how they go.
You'll always get the ones who expect them to "p1ss the league" thought you do expect if they start well, that number will grow significantly.

i suppose there is a reasonable chance this will be selected for TV coverage it being one of the 3 big games in L1 on the opening weekend and the EPL not starting until the following week

i suppose there is a reasonable chance this will be selected for TV coverage it being one of the 3 big games in L1 on the opening weekend and the EPL not starting until the following week
You'd think it would be a good shout especially if derby get taken over they will be on sky more often than any other league one team this season

These games are on Sky:
Friday night: Burnley v Huddersfield
Saturday 1730: Middlesbrough vs West Bromwich Albion
Sunday 1200: Sunderland v Coventry is a Sunday 12pm kick off

I think we are playing Derby County at the right time, and other clubs supporters will be saying jammy Oxford

I think we are one of 5 clubs that have 2 league games at home for November.

Unfortunately so, the other options would be Sheff W v Portsmouth or Ipswich v Bolton, but the Rooney factor is likely to be the clincher.
If it is, expect copious comments of 'too big for League 1' etc.

You'd expect it to be a full house though, first game under new owners, assuming it goes through.

Back
Top Bottom