Was that a chance for a while?

Was that our shot at promotion for a while?

• Yes - Will take a while to get over this

Votes: 63 66.3%
  • No - Our chance will come soon

Votes: 32 33.7%

• Total voters

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
I personally think this was our chance for a fair few years.

It seems it was the season for luck.

Wycombe tipped for relegation.
Coventry had major off field issues.

Yet they made it.

Last edited:
If they bring in this proposed wage cap in league 1 it might make it a more even playing field. Will probably see rochdale and accrington getting promoted next season.

Think we will struggle, it's a bloody tough league next season . This was our chance
Yes we thought it would be though this season with Sunderland, Ipswich, Pompey. But next season may be tougho. Add to that a pissed off chairman (Peterborough) who will be on a mission to get promoted

We've got an extremely young squad still - probably part of the reason for our downfall tonight. But they're going to get better, and I think a fair few may stick around (barring perhaps Brannagan and Dickie - we also need a new keeper.)

For me as long as we have a team who plays nice football which I can enjoy watching I'm happy.

The lure of the championship for me is to play the bigger clubs away. But in reality the league is irrelevant to us supporting Oxford.

For the club to survive the target has to be promotion. Tiger and his associates need a high profile football club otherwise they cannot go on covering the financial losses.
Politically, OUFC needs to be recognised as a big club not a "plucky minnow" from the lower leagues.
To recruit and retain players we need to be ambitous and have realistic aspirations, not put on a display such was last night.
KR stated, post match, that meetings are scheduled for Wednesday. The outcomes of those will , if made public, shed some light on what comes next.
League 1 behind closed doors is a non starter. Championship would have seen TV money and more. Wycombe will be crap in the Championship but, they will survive as a club thanks to getting promoted.

I’m just as gutted as any other fan after last nights result. It’s going to take a few days to shake off the huge disappointment. However we have to dust ourselves off and go again (as an ex Oxford manager would say). Let’s be honest we’ve had a very good season which has far exceeded the vast majority of fans expectations.

Lower league fans are a resilient lot, it can’t be success, success, success. The hard painful times will make the good times even sweeter, and the good times will return.

This has been a unique season, as will next season. It’s possible that some historical lower league clubs will not survive. The most important thing now is that this great club survives the economic impact of Covid.

That probably means players will be sold, (eg Dickie and Brannigan), disappointing yes, but that is the reality and the club must make sure it recruits and invests wisely whilst not putting the club at risk.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we’re competitive next season, pushing for a playoff spot. A lot of other clubs will be letting players go, readjusting, and desperately trying to remain solvent.

COYY

Well I guess it would have been nice to go up and face them big teams. But unless away fans are allowed in grounds (unlikely to happen for a while) then there would be no point. Football is for fans and I would rather go up when we know we can travel in numbers and back the team. This watching the game on TV is just not for me, it's like a sandwich with no filler.

Somebody on another thread has made a very good point, and @Manorlounger has alluded to it on here. If we had got promotion we wouldve climbed clear of a lot of the financial implications of coronavirus up with the big boys. However, where we are now, even if (please god) we’re not in dire straits ourselves, we’re in the lower leagues with clubs who probably cant afford to play matches in empty stadiums. With the timimg of it, the match last night was massive and will have huge financial implications. Will there even be football below the championship next season, with no income for clubs abd the costs of covid19 testing? Has a date been set for the restart or are the EFL doing theire usual ‘sit and wait’ thing?

We've stared the gift horse right in the mouth and mesed it up, it was a hell of a chance to get out. You can't imagine, in a play off situation, there will ever be a better opportunity than Wycombe Wanderers. Next season will be either one extreme or the other for me, we will either dig deep, find true resilience and use this as a springboard to have a right go or we will feel sorry for ourselves and drift around aimlessly in the bottom third.

My thoughts and opinion, purely mine.

1) Without crowds, football is not the same. Until we can go back to before, which will be a long time its lost a lot of its appeal. Promotion would have not been the same.
2) Money. Yes AT PRESENT, the difference in terms of revenue, which comes from the Premiership is 5mm vs 1mm. However, I feel the economic impact of C19 has barely started and I would not be surprised if the EPL scales back payments to non EPL leagues/clubs.
3) The clamour for wage caps both in Championship/LG1 and LG2 will get louder. Present finances are unsustainable and some championship clubs are running deficits of 15 million or more a season.
4) We are a mid table LG1 club by stadium, attendances and finances, we are where we should be. We had a good season which has wet our appetite, which was good.

So lets get our finances in order, be sensible because there will be plenty of clubs that will be in trouble.

Well I guess it would have been nice to go up and face them big teams. But unless away fans are allowed in grounds (unlikely to happen for a while) then there would be no point. Football is for fans and I would rather go up when we know we can travel in numbers and back the team. This watching the game on TV is just not for me, it's like a sandwich with no filler.

I have a season ticket so will probably be watching OUFC matches on i follow next season, but football without fans is a soulless experience and even more so on TV.

Yes I desperately wanted us to win last night, and yes I’m gutted that we didn’t. I understand the worrying financial implications, however I do take a small crumb of comfort that the experience (as a fan) of the probability of just one season of Championship football in the current Covid climate will be utterly soulless.

But we are where we are, and now have to face reality,

Players will be sold. The successful policy of investing in and developing young players to continue.

It depends Keep KR and if we are able to reinvest 50% of monies from outgoing transfers then I think we can be competitive and push for top 6 (there is always 1 or 2 teams up there that don't have the biggest budget. If KR goes the plan might be to focus in the near term on financial solvency and investing in the longer term future of the club (ground, academy) and aim to push for promotion in 2-3 years. Who knows I guess we will have a better idea after this week's meetings.

The worry for me now is the manager. We have a good manager in Karl - not great, not the best, but he's a solid league 1 manager. We've seen with Pep Clotet the damage that a poor manager can do to a team over 2 or 3 years in the financial waste and the time taken to weed poor players back out of the squad.

If Karl goes our continued success in League 1 relies on us getting a new manager with a League 1/2 background. Not Jap Staam or Frank Lampard or any of those characters. The squad is almost secondary - Wycombe and Accrington have proven that the squad is less important than the set up and historically we tend to manage to cobble together a good side regardless.

If we actually have a season next year, whilst Wycombe are enjoying the Championship, we will be lucky.

If it does get announced this week that Robinson is leaving, it will send out the message that the club isnt as financially sound as we all hope. Robinson has, I think, made it clear: prove that that the club has ambition to be successful or I walk.

If it is the case that times are going to be tough and we’re left looking fora new head coach, I think we could do a lot worse than Mousinho with Mackie as his number two. If we’re going to go with younger, inexperienced players, I think those two would be ideal candidates to lead and motivate them. We might have to accept that, because of the current climate, things are goung to be very different for the immediate to mid-term future. I’d much rather kerb the ambition for a year or two if it means we have a sustainable club going through these uncertain times.

Back
Top Bottom