Was that a chance for a while?

Was that our shot at promotion for a while?

• Yes - Will take a while to get over this

Votes: 63 66.3%
  • No - Our chance will come soon

Votes: 32 33.7%

• Total voters
The worry for me now is the manager. We have a good manager in Karl - not great, not the best, but he's a solid league 1 manager. We've seen with Pep Clotet the damage that a poor manager can do to a team over 2 or 3 years in the financial waste and the time taken to weed poor players back out of the squad.

If Karl goes our continued success in League 1 relies on us getting a new manager with a League 1/2 background. Not Jap Staam or Frank Lampard or any of those characters. The squad is almost secondary - Wycombe and Accrington have proven that the squad is less important than the set up and historically we tend to manage to cobble together a good side regardless.

If we actually have a season next year, whilst Wycombe are enjoying the Championship, we will be lucky.

I really hope KR stays. He’s a more than decent League 1 manager/coach. Continuity at the moment would be a good thing.

If we don’t have a season next year, there will be a lot of professional footballers looking for work elsewhere and more than one or two clubs going to the wall.

We have to trust and hope the directors do right thing for the long term survival and stability of the club.

Well I guess it would have been nice to go up and face them big teams. But unless away fans are allowed in grounds (unlikely to happen for a while) then there would be no point. Football is for fans and I would rather go up when we know we can travel in numbers and back the team. This watching the game on TV is just not for me, it's like a sandwich with no filler.
Do you know what I think that’s the only positive of us not getting promoted now is the fact we love our away days & we like to take numbers wherever we go, with it likely to be minimal capacity once fans are allowed to return it wouldn’t have the same feel about it as we would of got 10,000+ every home game with a sold out away end before this virus. ?

I don't see the doom and gloom. I hope it's just the post-match hangover.

Last 3 seasons: 16th, 12th, 4th.

We are an attractive club for young exciting players looking to progress in the game and only just missed out on promotion. Who wouldn't want to be part of that next season?

Yes, we will lose some of our players but I trust the scouting network to uncover some gems.

It was the best chance in a while based on the current circumstances. It might also have resolved a lot of problems both financially and surrounding the stadium. Ho hum.

If Robinson goes, which I think he will, then yes, that's it for a while. Players will follow.
We have some good young players coming through and have a record of maing very good signings. Not sure if Mous is up to being manager yet. No disrespect, but KR is a tough act to follow.
All really depends on the owners and whether they can be bothered to keep it going.

The transfer window is key. I'm resigned to losing Dickie and Brannagan, and other than Taylor, assume the rest of the loanees will return to their parent clubs. That should be it in terms of players leaving, though. We need to keep the core of the squad together and then recruit well (as we did last summer). If we can do that I think there's a good possibility we'll have another good season, but it's a big 'if'!

If Robinson goes, which I think he will, then yes, that's it for a while. Players will follow.
We have some good young players coming through and have a record of maing very good signings. Not sure if Mous is up to being manager yet. No disrespect, but KR is a tough act to follow.
All really depends on the owners and whether they can be bothered to keep it going.

Get Appleton back atleast he's got a promotion with us on his CV. Same can't be said for Karl he should stay and continue the job as he hasn't finished anything yet!

The worry for me now is the manager. We have a good manager in Karl - not great, not the best, but he's a solid league 1 manager. We've seen with Pep Clotet the damage that a poor manager can do to a team over 2 or 3 years in the financial waste and the time taken to weed poor players back out of the squad.

If Karl goes our continued success in League 1 relies on us getting a new manager with a League 1/2 background. Not Jap Staam or Frank Lampard or any of those characters. The squad is almost secondary - Wycombe and Accrington have proven that the squad is less important than the set up and historically we tend to manage to cobble together a good side regardless.

If we actually have a season next year, whilst Wycombe are enjoying the Championship, we will be lucky.
Really. Frank lampard who is now managing chelsea. Choosing pep over lampard was one of the biggest mistakes weve made.

That's a bit disrespectful of Karl in my view, hope he doesn't read this forum. He's a lot better than "solid league one". Sure he makes mistakes and because he's so vocal, they get highlighted more. But he's the best chance we've got at the moment.

A massive opportunity missed. 2 very strange goals took us to 1-1 after 55 mins...OUFC completely in control of the match and then a moment of absolute madness in the most important game for a decade! Devastated this morning - but on that showing both OUFC and Wycombe would struggle in the Champ.

Really. Frank lampard who is now managing chelsea. Choosing pep over lampard was one of the biggest mistakes weve made.

Managing Oxford United in League 1 on a shoestring is very different to managing a large Championship Derby County (not the same size club as Oxford United, btw) followed by billionaire Chelsea, your home club...

Yes choosing Pep over Lampard was a big mistake. Choosing Pep over anyone would have been seen as a big mistake.

Just because Lampard manages Chelsea now doesn't mean he'd have been any good here where the football is different.

That's a bit disrespectful of Karl in my view, hope he doesn't read this forum. He's a lot better than "solid league one". Sure he makes mistakes and because he's so vocal, they get highlighted more. But he's the best chance we've got at the moment.

I agree he's the best chance we've got at the moment but I do think "solid league 1 manager" is a fair assesment and was not intended as a sleight.

He's managed in the Championship for one year of his career and that ended in relegation, no? He's managed in League 1 every other year of his career? On what basis do you think he's better than "solid league 1" at present?

I think he certainly has the capacity to grow into a good Championship manager if the right opportunity comes along but to say he's a great or fantastic manager right now would be too generous.

I agree he's the best chance we've got at the moment but I do think "solid league 1 manager" is a fair assesment and was not intended as a sleight.

He's managed in the Championship for one year of his career and that ended in relegation, no? He's managed in League 1 every other year of his career? On what basis do you think he's better than "solid league 1" at present?

I think he certainly has the capacity to grow into a good Championship manager if the right opportunity comes along but to say he's a great or fantastic manager right now would be too generous.
Well I didn't say he is a good Championship manager because that is unproven. But he is better than solid league one based on his record of getting MK up and us nearly up and getting his teams to play quality football in the process. Whoever comes in next is likely to be a step back from that, but we'll see.

*Dons tin hat*

on reflection I think last night’s post match interview was another case of Robinson letting his enotions take over a bit before he thought about what he was saying. Everytime theres a set back he throws a barbed threat to the board about ambition. He did it at the start of the year after the transfer window and the Blackpool story. If he goes into the meeting tomorrow throwing his weight about and demanding more from the investors, they will be well within their rights to point out to Karl that he’s just overseen a failed attempt to access multimillions in the Championship and perhaps he needs to accept that he’s partly made his bed. I know it could be argued that he got us to the play offs in spite of the boards actions this season but he’s quick enough to support them with his praise when things are going well. He should maybe understand the financial challenges that the board are now going to have to deal with and remember the support they gave him at the beginning. The club should be united in defeat as well as victory. Hopefully when he’s calmed down a bit and collected himself we’ll hear more of a ‘we’ll sit down together and calmly work out the best strategy going forward and give it our best shot again next season’ message.

I hope youre right this meeting on wednesday will be massive.

Well I didn't say he is a good Championship manager because that is unproven. But he is better than solid league one based on his record of getting MK up and us nearly up and getting his teams to play quality football in the process. Whoever comes in next is likely to be a step back from that, but we'll see.

Depends. Lee Bowyer did a pretty good job at Charlton after Karl left. Yes Karl builds a good team, that plays good football. Football is about results and not how well you perform so his CV only has the mk dons promotion on it. He's a good league 1 manager, but not proven to be able to make the step up in the championship. There are plenty of managers that could take this team forwards but it's wether the board have got the money and going to back them.

Don't think it will happen for a moment but the Tranmere job is available for anyone looking to move back to Merseyside.

Wt’s the situation with Blackpool now. Did they appoint somebody permanently or was just until the end of the season?

Back
Top Bottom